PDA

View Full Version : No Next of Kin Notification

SemperEsurio
07-09-12, 01:21 AM
I am not sure if this was brought up, and it seems to be a bit of a taboo subject around here so I thought I would ask. What do I do if I do not want my next of kin to be notified for any reason? My command recently did a huge push to have our contact imformation updated and when I said that I wanted no one to be contacted, they threatened me with punishment. If I do bite the big one, I don't want my next of kin notified, my organs donate, and my body to be cremated. I don't want a ceramony either. Why don't they honor this?

josephd
07-09-12, 01:54 AM
As for as I am aware you have to chose someone to claim your remains, your death gratuity, and your SGLI. If you really don't care, go find some random girl at the mall, get her info, and put her in for it.

Cpl Heglar
07-09-12, 12:42 PM
I will volunteer to be your next of kin Devil Dog. I will do with your remains what you want me to do and if you have any SGLI funds I recommend donate them to the American Red Cross.

Kev

Tennessee Top
07-10-12, 05:47 PM
Right, see if you can have your SGLI and pay arrears go to a charity. That way, you'll at least be helping some people. How about the Navy relief or USO; that way, you may help some fellow Marines.

I work at a hospital and see this every day here as well. Patients have living wills so they have a say in what will be done to keep them alive (or not) like being on life support. It's common for families to say otherwise or people be on life support whose living will says the opposite. Thought a living will is a legal document but I see them disregarded regularly (and nothing ever happens that I'm aware of). So, my question is, what's the point of spending all the money on a lawyer if your wishes aren't going to be honored anyway?