PDA

View Full Version : Passion for mentoring leads Marine to drill field

thedrifter
11-20-03, 06:47 AM
Passion for mentoring leads Marine to drill field
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 20031117123019
Story by 1st Lt. Beatriz Yarrish

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(November 14, 2003) -- There are many Marines who can say they have helped others, but only a few Marines that can truly say they have completely changed someone's life.

Staff Sgt. Jorge Melendezbarraza, drill instructor, Platoon 3031, Company M, has had that rare opportunity to affect the lives of many young adults who were not Marine recruits, and perhaps kept them out of jail or even death row.

Before Melendezbarraza was accepted to Drill Instructor School at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, he was stationed with 3rd Battalion, 14th Marines, in Philadelphia. While he was with 14th Marines working toward a criminal justice degree, Melendezbarraza volunteered for community service work to help troubled teenagers.

Melendezbarraza said he would take young adults to the local prisons and jails and let them meet and speak to inmates. The teens had the opportunity to learn about the lives of murderers and drug dealers who were incarcerated, some for the rest of their lives. Melendezbarraza would show the teens where their lives were headed if they stayed on the same road they were traveling.

Melendezbarraza also showed them how to make positive changes in their lives.

"I wanted to show them what they (were) missing and what else is out there for them," said Melendezbarraza. "I kind of gave them a sense of direction, kind of like being a drill instructor, because they're just like recruits. They need direction."

For Melendezbarraza, the next obvious step to take was to Drill Instructor School.

"I came to the field for the challenge because everyone always talked about the challenge," said Melendezbarraza.

A challenge is exactly what he received when he arrived here. While Melendezbarraza was with 14th Marines, he was used to being on his own schedule. He went from working eight-hour days, 5 days a week to working 18-hour days, 7 days a week.

"It was a culture shock," said Melendezbarraza, referring to when he began drill instructor training.

But the shock did not stop at school. It continued on as he picked up his first cycle. Like most drill instructors, it took Melendezbarraza time to adjust and time to figure out how things worked.

"The hardest thing to do is to get your time management," said Melendezbarraza. "You have no time at all. It's like running from point A to point B with your head cut off."

However, other drill instructors that Melendezbarraza works with have not noticed any confusion from him.

"He's a real fast learner," said Staff Sgt. Timothy J. Chaplain, drill instructor, Platoon 3031, Co. M. "He catches on to the program real quick. He is very enthusiastic and asks a lot of questions."

These questions help the 27-year-old stay organized.

"I kind of like using everything from everyone. If I like the way they teach, then I put it in my tool box," said Melendezbarraza.

He said it is also helpful for him to look at least two weeks ahead in the training schedule and to stay up an extra 2-3 hours a night to make sure that he has his plan of attack for the next day.

Although those extra hours spent on preparing for the next day at work may cut into his family time, Melendezbarraza still finds ways to spend time with his family.

His wife, Veronica, said that he is a good father to their 6-month-old daughter Yanitza and takes every chance he can to spend time with her.

"Sometimes he just watches her sleep because he comes home so late," said Veronica. "That's the hardest thing, him not being able to be with us as much."

Because of the spans of time apart, Veronica and her husband both looked forward to the Marine Corps Birthday Ball celebration where they spent quality time together and danced.

Veronica said she enjoys dancing very much because that is how she met her husband.

"We used to go out dancing every week," said Melendezbarraza. "Now I really don't have time to go."

Veronica added that he likes to spin her around really fast as they dance to Spanish country music, but at the ball he will have to take it easy because they are expecting their second child.

Although Melendezbarraza has only completed once cycle on the drill field, he already has many plans for when he leaves the Depot.

When he completes his tour here, he plans on completing his criminal justice degree, applying for an officer-commissioning program and to be an aviator.

More importantly, he plans on taking his wife dancing again.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20031117123137/$file/DI_lr.jpg

Staff Sgt. Jorge Melendezbarraza, drill instructor, Platoon 3031, Company M, used to volunteer his time to mentor troubled teens in Philadelphia. Now he makes his career mentoring young people and forming them into U.S. Marines. Photo by: Sgt. L. F. Langston

The Drifter
:marine: