PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted to Officer aviation.

the802
06-06-12, 10:24 AM
Well, to start, I've always been interested in flying, especially helicopters. I enlisted as an 03 so I could go to Afghanistan before the war was over... Well, now the war is over, and I want to go back to my original plan... Flying. I'm looking for information on becoming an officer, either through MECEP, or just getting out to go to college, as well as info on becoming a pilot (i.e. do you get to choose fix wing vs rotary wing, do you get to choose specific birds ect..ect..). Any and all info either posted here or sent in a private message is much appreciated.

the802
06-06-12, 10:25 AM
As well as what I can do now to set me up for the future.

BGW
06-07-12, 07:09 AM
If I remember correctly, as far as being a pilot its not much different then the rest of the Marine Corps. You first go to just the basic of basic school for all aviaition pilots. Do not know how long this part is, but once your done with this school thats when you put down your prefer choices as far as what you want to fly.

What ever they decide on what kind of pilot they want you to be is when they send you off to the second school that specializes in that specific air craft that you will be learning.

I am going off on what an officer pilot told me a few years ago, may be wrong but I believe its right.

Come to think of it I am not really sure how you would be able to even get to be chosen to be a pilot in the first place. You might get screwed and come in as a admin/logistics officer.

fl1946
06-07-12, 09:27 PM
Former Marine enlisted may suggest an advantage but truth be told, it doesn't. Becoming a Marine Corps officer requires significant amount of academic/physical'character stamina, the results of which you have to score at least in the top 5% among graduates. "Then" presume you pass the aviation physical and are qualified, MarCorp Aviation program requires you to be at the top 3% of your class, no exception. And if you are REALLY exceptional, maybe top 1% of your aviation class, "maybe" you can go into fixed wing and jets. No college degree (and not online) is a no/go. With draw down in military, double the odds. Good luck, I mean it. Several aviators lurking around here site can certainly collaborate this post.

Semper fi,

BGW
06-07-12, 10:59 PM
You might as well go to the chair force, or go do that army program that they have where you go into the army as a warrent officer and become a pilot in the rotary part of aviation. (Pretty sure its not made up but never spoke to a career planner about it)

Even if you were to go through the Marine Corps and become a pilot, you will still get screwed over. The officers not only have to do all the **** they do as pilots and flying but also have a bunch of extra collateral duties such as running the shops in a squadron. From what I see takes a lot but its not impossible. Just saying I rather be a pilot in the chair force or army then in the Marine Corps.

djj34
06-10-12, 12:52 AM
I'm sure there is plenty of information on becoming an officer around here but I have yet to see flight school detailed out. I'm sure I can drop some knowledge here and help the802 out, as well as...

NWKellogg
06-17-12, 04:36 AM
Well, to start, I've always been interested in flying, especially helicopters. I enlisted as an 03 so I could go to Afghanistan before the war was over... Well, now the war is over, and I want to go back to my original plan... Flying. I'm looking for information on becoming an officer, either through MECEP, or just getting out to go to college, as well as info on becoming a pilot (i.e. do you get to choose fix wing vs rotary wing, do you get to choose specific birds ect..ect..). Any and all info either posted here or sent in a private message is much appreciated.

You need to be a Sergeant minimum to get into MECEP. Another alternative is to EAS from the Marine Corps, and earn a spot at the Naval Academy.

Otherwise you can also explore a NROTC scholarship at a traditional university as well.

ChuckH
06-17-12, 07:07 AM
LT
Please fill out your profile completely before posting.
Site rules.