PDA

View Full Version : From dog house to Devil Dog - Marine leaves life on street for future in Corps

thedrifter
11-18-03, 06:20 AM
From dog house to Devil Dog - Marine leaves life on street for future in Corps <br />
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego <br />
Story Identification Number: 20031117122546 <br />
Story by Lance Cpl. Jess Levens <br />
<br />
<br />

Seeley
11-18-03, 10:20 PM
That is awesome

firstsgtmike
11-19-03, 01:57 AM
No Seeley,

His is one story of many. The Corps is full of them, past, present, and (I hope) future.

Particulars change, names change. We are not a haven, an escape, but, for those who accept the challenge, an opportunity to demonstrate self-worth.

I've always been jealous of a one-time army recruiting slogan;
"Be all that you can be............."

I've always felt that THAT was the basic premise of the Marine Corps.

The army capitalized on the slogan, but it has been the Marine Corps way of life since long before MY time.

kentmitchell
11-19-03, 06:58 AM
Ironic isn't it that today's recruiting regulations prevent the Corps from doing more of this. You must be a high school graduate or jump through hoops if you have a GED (Like completing a year of college).
Look back and some of the Corps' great legends were compelled by a judge to "Join the Marines or go to jail."
Couldn't happen today.
Another irony. We only take the best and brightest and then send them off to die. The scum stays home and enjoys the freedom the good kids die to preserve.
End of vent.

Boodrow
12-16-03, 03:42 PM
What Black said about, now, Gunnery Sergeant Higginson is absolutely on the mark. He's my recruiter as well. He's always there to help and explain anything to me as well as motivate any and all poolees. If the recruiting offices were full of recruiters like GySgt Higginson, the other branches wouldn't stand a chance.