PDA

View Full Version : Reenlistment time. Need sound advice please..

Knowyourjob47
05-30-12, 10:15 AM
Oohrah Marines,

I'm an active duty CPL contemplating the drill field. My chain of command's career planner doesn't give two 'thought' about my career and it's hard to put my life in someone elses hands, especially when they don't take pride in what they do. He copy and pasted me a package to reenlist in my MOS and have a deferred package, saying i am interested in Drill Duty, until I am promoted to SGT then he says I will go to DI school. But isn't deferring my package screwing me in the end? His reasoning for deferring my package is to keep me at my current duty station until I pick up, then i'll go to DI school, because apparently if I reenlisted to go to another station and staying in my MOS, I would have to have a certain amount of time on my new duty station. How much time would I have to spend at my station until I could go become a Drill Instructor? and what the hell should I do? I've talked to three other career planners, but let's just say where I am stationed, not too many Marines actually give a F. Any advice would be great, even if you're telling me to quit my 'whining'.

Semper Fidelis,
-Cpl of Marines.

MOS4429
05-30-12, 03:04 PM
Cpl, I'll give it a whirl, and whether you like my first impression will be totally up to you, but let me start with this:

You say your chain of command's CP doesn't give two "thought" about your career. Career planners do their jobs, tell you options, give direction, but NOBODY is going to care about YOUR career more than YOU. It is your career, and so the first thing you need to do is take the bull by the horns, thoroughly know your options, and it is you who will make the call.

Other thoughts are inserted below.

Oohrah Marines,

I'm an active duty CPL contemplating the drill field. My chain of command's career planner doesn't give two 'thought' about my career and it's hard to put my life in someone elses hands, especially when they don't take pride in what they do. He copy and pasted me a package to reenlist in my MOS and have a deferred package, saying i am interested in Drill Duty, until I am promoted to SGT then he says I will go to DI school. But isn't deferring my package screwing me in the end? His reasoning for deferring my package is to keep me at my current duty station until I pick up, then i'll go to DI school, because apparently if I reenlisted to go to another station and staying in my MOS, I would have to have a certain amount of time on my new duty station. How much time would I have to spend at my station until I could go become a Drill Instructor?

Okay. This is 2012, so I am sure much has changed since I was in your shoes back in the day. But yes, even back then there was a minimum time on duty station before one could leave. Generall speaking, it was 2 years; however, there were exceptions. When I was a LCpl, there was a program I applied for. This program required you be a Sgt, have 5 years in the Marine Corps, 3 years on duty station, and then a slough of testing. I was a LCpl, had been in the Marine Corps for less than 18 months and on duty station for less than a year. I scored well, but was turned down for the aforementioned. One year later I applied again. This time I was a Sgt, but I did not have time in the Corps or time on station. So...I asked them to waive it, and they did, and off I went.

If in your shoes, I might explore whether time on station can be waived and go now. Back in the day...Cpls could be D.I.'s. They can't now??? Another option that was utilized was in a situation where a person needed to wait a year for various options...they did not re-enlist but extended one year, and then re-enlisted when all other conditions were met. Sounds like today they do "deferred packages," though, and so your career planner's reasoning, it sounds like, is valid. But there are a few things I mentioned you might explore with him/her.

and what the hell should I do?

Seriously...none of us can tell you what to do. Explore all options, weigh them, and try to make a decision that is in your best interest.

I've talked to three other career planners, but let's just say where I am stationed, not too many Marines actually give a F. Any advice would be great, even if you're telling me to quit my 'whining'.

Okay. I am not going to tell you to quit whining, but I will way I detect a bit of an attitude in you. For instance, in your profile under combat experience, you entered, "none your business." Hmm, usually when Marines don't want to enter anything there they leave it blank. But you say not too many Marines actually give a F where you are at. Maybe they detect from you that you don't give an 'F.' When junior Marines adopt the attitude that others don't give an F about them, it is usually because they sense you don't give an F or you have an attitude toward them, or they do not take you seriously. I have no clue, but I know that thinking others don't give an F usually doesn't work too well.

Semper Fidelis,
-Cpl of Marines.

Good luck in your decision. Think of all the questions you have, write them down, and then make sure you ask them.

S/F.

Tennessee Top
05-30-12, 04:57 PM
Normally, there is a minimum time on station requirement to cut down on moving personnel (it costs the Government money to move you so doesn't make sense to do it too soon/often). I believe he is giving you good scoop on that account.

I was never on the Drill Field so am not really qualified to say but normally speaking, when it comes to special duty assignments (DI/Recruiter/MSG), the more experience and maturity you have, the better your chances of being successful. That may be why he wants to see you stay and pick up Sgt before going to DI school. I was on MSG twice and also the Ops Chief at MSG School and can say without a doubt maturity played a key role in successful MSG's.

Just a couple thoughts; hope they help and good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.