PDA

View Full Version : Special quotes about Marines

thedrifter
08-27-02, 02:42 PM
Quotes about Marines by Heads of State, Defense Secretaries, and Foreign Officers

"Today, the world looks to America for leadership. And America looks to its Corps of Marines."
- Commander-in-Chief President Ronald Reagan

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference,
and our Marines don't have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan, 1985

"They (The Marine Corps) have a propaganda machine that is almost equal to Stalin's."
- President Harry S. Truman in a letter, September, 1950.
In the face of the resulting public turmoil, the President apologized five days later.

"I am convinced that there is no smarter, handier, or more adaptable body of troops in the world."
- Prime Minister of Britain Winston Churchhill

"No on should pass an American in uniform without saying “Thank you, we are grateful.”

Always mindful that they are prepared to risk all their dreams so that all of us can reach ours.”
- Secretary of Defense, William Cohen
at the Memorial Ceremony for the service members that died aboard the USS Cole.

"A Marine should be sworn to the patient endurance of hardships, like the ancient knights;

and it is not the least of these necessary hardships to have to serve with sailors."
- Field Marshal Montgomery

Quotes from Civilians and Former Marines people about the Marine Corps.

"My experience as a Marine was a very positive thing. As an enlisted man,

I learned real self-discipline... It has been immensely important to me in my business career."
- J. Richard Munro, Chairman, Time-Warner Inc

You earned the title "Marine" upon graduation from recruit training. It wasn't willed to you; it isn't a gift. It is not a government subsidy. Few can claim the title; no one may take it away. It is yours forever
- Tom Bartlett - Leatherneck Magazine

"The Marines fought almost solely on esprit decorps, I was certain. It was inconceivable to most Marines that they should let another Marine down, or that they could be responsible for dimming the bright reputation of their Corps.

The Marines simply assumed that they were the world's best fighting men."
- Robert Sherrod, 1943, regarding the battle at Tarawa

"Visit the Navy-Yard, and behold a Marine... a mere shadow and reminiscence of humanity,

a man laid out alive and standing and already, as one may say, buried under arms with funeral accompaniments."
- Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience, 1848

"It's a funny thing, but, as years go by, I think you appreciate more and more what a great thing it was to be a United States Marine...

I am a U.S. Marine and I'll be one till I die."
- Ted Williams, Baseball Hall of Famer

Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings I have ever witnessed.

They treat their service as if it was some kind of cult, plastering their emblem on almost everything they own,

making themselves up to look like insane fanatics with haircuts to ungentlemanly lengths,

worshipping their Commandant almost as if he was a god, and making weird animal noises like a band of savages.

They'll fight like rabid dogs at the drop of a hat just for the sake of a little action, and are the cockiest SOB's I have ever known.

Most have the foulest mouths and drink well beyond man's normal limits,

but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set them apart and , generally speaking,

of the United States Marines I've come in contact with,

are the most professional soldiers and the finest men I have had the pleasure to meet.
An Anonymous Canadian Citizen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
-George Orwell

The Marines have landed, and the situation is well in hand.
-Richard Harding Davis, war correspondent (1885)

Quotes from the Army about Marines

"I can't say enough about the two Marine divisions.

If I use words like 'brilliant,' it would really be an under description of the absolutely

superb job that they did in breaching the so-called 'impenetrable barrier.'

It was a classic- absolutely classic- military breaching of a very very tough minefield, barbed wire, fire trenches-type barrier."
- Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf, Commander, U.S. Central Command, February 1991

"I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer
fighting organization in the world."
- General Douglas MacArthur, U.S. Army

"Why the hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can; they are all the same kind of men...
why can't the Army be like the Marines?"
- Commander-in-Chief, AEF General J. Pershing, U.S. Army

"The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight."
- Major General Frank Lowe, U.S. Army

"I can never see a United States Marine without experiencing a feeling of reverence."
- General Johnson, U.S. Army

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
- General Pershing, U.S. Army

"Lying offshore, ready to act, the presence of ships and Marines sometimes means much more than just having air power or ship's fire, when it comes to deterring a crisis. And the ships and Marines may not have to do anything but lie offshore.

It is hard to lie offshore with a C-141 or C-130 full of airborne troops."
- Gen. Colin L. Powell, USA

"The American Marines have it [pride], and benefit from it. They are tough, cocky,
sure of themselves and their buddies. They can fight and they know it."
- General Mark Clark, U.S. Army

"The 1st Marine Division is the most efficient and courageous combat unit I have ever seen or heard of."
- Major General Frank E. Lowe , US Army , 1950

"Your Marines having been under my command for nearly six months, I feel that I can give you a discriminating report as to their excellent standing with their brothers of the army and their general good conduct."
- General John J. Pershing, USA, in a letter to Major General Commandant George Barnett, USMC, Nov 10, 1917

"No one can say that the Marines have failed to do their work in handsome fashion."
- Major General Hagood, U.S. Army

"The Marines and Navy have never shone more brightly than this morning."
- Gen Douglas MacArthur at Inchon landing, Korean War

"The more Marines I have around, the better I like it."
- General Clark, U.S. Army

The man who will go where his colors will go, without asking, who will fight a phantom foe in a jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to Democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. His pride is his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face, and his obedience is to his orders. As a legionary, he held the gates of civilization for the classical world...he has been called United States Marine.
Lieutenant Colonel T.R. Fehrenbach, US Army in "This Kind of War"

continued.........

thedrifter
08-27-02, 02:43 PM
Quotes from the Navy about Marines

"There is no military body in our country of higher efficiency than the Marine Corps.
They take great pride in their profession. They never let things slack a bit."
- Rear Admiral C.M. Wilslow, U.S. Navy

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that
they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

"The Marine Corps has just been called by the New York Times, 'The elite of this country.' I think it is the elite of the world."
- Admiral William Halsey, U.S. Navy

"By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the American who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."
- Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, U.S. Navy

"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons."
- Admiral David Dickson Porter

Quotes by Marines, about Marines

"My only answer as to why the Marines get the toughest jobs is because the average Leatherneck is a much better fighter. He has far more guts, courage, and better officers... These boys out here have a pride in the Marine Corps and will fight to the end no matter what the cost."
- 2nd Lt. Richard C. Kennard, Peleliu, World War II

"Remember, whatever you write, this was no retreat. All that happened was that we found
more Chinese behind us than in front of us, so we about-faced and attacked."
- Chesty Puller, USMC, speaking to reporters after the battle out of the Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"******* it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
- Captain Henry P. "Jim" Crowe, USMC, Guadacanal, 13 January 1943

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
- 1stLt Clifton B. Cates, USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918

"Come on, you sons of *****es! Do you want to live forever?"
- Sergeant Dan Daly leading his Marines forward against German troops at the Battle of Belleau Wood, World War I

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us;
they can't get away from us this time."
- Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"...we also receive from them [Marines past] the eternal spirit which has animated our Corps from generation to generation...

So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have in the past,

and the men of the Nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served..."
- General John A. Lejeune, Commandant, USMC, Marine Corps Birthday Message, 1921

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning."
- Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 November 1943

"Every Marine is, first and foremost, a rifleman. All other conditions are secondary."
- General A.M. Gray, Commandant USMC

"...in the days preceding the war the United States possessed the world's top ranking Marine Corps at a cost to the nation of \\$1,500 per Marine, while it had the eighteenth place Army, at a cost of $2,000 per soldier."
- USMC Commandant Vandegrift, speaking to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 1946

"For the Marine Corps there is no peace."
- Sergeant Edwin N. Demby, USMC; later Secretary of the Navy

"The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps."
- General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC, to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946

"Retreat, hell! We just got here."
- Capt Lloyd Williams at the Battle of Belleau Wood

"We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
- Chesty Puller at the Chosin Reservoir

When an Army captain asked him for the direction of the line of retreat, Col Puller called his artillerymen, gave them the Army position,

and ordered: "If they start to pull back from that line, even one foot, I want you to open fire on them." Turning to the captain, he replied "Does that answer your question? We're here to fight." At Koto-ri in Korea
- Chesty Puller at Koto-ri in Korea

"The mail service has been excellent out here, and in my opinion this is all that the
Air Force has accomplished during the war."
- Chesty Puller in a letter to his wife while in Korea

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!"
- Chesty Puller motivating his men at Chosin Reservoir

Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed.
- Chesty Puller, USMC

Quotes about Marines from our enemies

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

"Panic sweeps my men when they are facing the American Marines!"
- Captured North Korean Major

"They told our perimeter guard to open up or we'll blow you away and then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these really big guns and they said in Somali, 'Igaralli ahow,' which means, 'Excuse me, I didn't mean it, my mistake.'"
- Karen Aguilar, U.S. Embassy, Mogadishu, Somalia, 1991

"The American Marines are terribly reckless fellows...they would make very good storm troopers."
- Unidentified German officer at Belleau Wood

Sempers,

Roger

BeirutMarine1
08-27-02, 06:42 PM
We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the

northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in

the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?

[Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of
Staff; during the assault on Grenada, 1983]

(Makes me feel all warm inside!)

JAMarine
08-28-02, 10:38 AM
Semper Fi

Sgt0811
08-28-02, 12:00 PM
:D If you don't believe that we are the best just ask us, and we will tell you.

Semper Fi,:rambo:

LadyLeatherneck
08-28-02, 12:14 PM
Nice dedication page you got going there.

Semper Fi :)

BeirutMarine1
08-28-02, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by LadyLeatherneck
Nice dedication page you got going there.

Semper Fi :)

Lady Leatherneck,
Thanks for the kind remarks. Its a pleasure to do the site and to recognize a friend, warrior and a United States Marine. I say a prayer every day thanking God for Sgt. Ed Gargano!