PDA

View Full Version : Marines scrambling for ribbon

thedrifter
11-17-03, 06:22 AM
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton
Story Identification Number: 2003111417855
Story by Sgt. Matthew J. Epright

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif.(Nov. 13, 2003) -- Tens of thousands of Marines with I Marine Expeditionary Force recently were awarded the military's highest unit award ? but many are finding they can't add the ribbon to their uniforms. Supplies of the ribbons are wiped out at Camp Pendleton.

Secretary of the Navy Gordon England awarded the Presidential Unit Citation to I MEF for President George W. Bush on Nov. 3. It was the first such award to a Camp Pendleton-based unit since 1968.

Gordon will present the PUC to I MEF in a ceremony at 11 Area Athletic Field today.

Since then, Marines and sailors who are eligible for the award have fought long lines and short supplies to obtain the blue, gold and red ribbon.

Cpl. James P. MacGregor of Combat Service Support Battalion 12 went the extra mile, trying to get the ribbon in time for the Marine Corps Birthday Ball.

"I spent half the day looking all over base for the smaller (Marine Corps Exchanges) that nobody remembers ? like 24 Area ? hoping they would have the ribbons," he said.

"Vanguard has been sending the ribbons to us as soon as they make them," said Terry Vandever, manager and buyer for the 22 Area clothing sales store.

Still, even with shipments rolling in every day and sometimes twice a day, the ribbons are disappearing as soon as they are set out on the countertop.

"We only sold 2,000 (PUC ribbons) during all of 2002. We have had orders for more than 25,000 just in the past week," said Michael Harrison, chief operating officer for Vanguard Industries ? a company that manufactures and distributes ribbons and other insignia for the military services.

He added that he expects many more orders in the coming weeks.

According to Harrison, Vanguard did not receive any advance notice of the citation.

"We were first informed of this (Oct. 4)," he said. "When we received notice, we had some stock that was available for shipment immediately."

Still, Marines shouldn't be overly concerned about being out of uniform if they're not wearing their latest award, said Sgt. Maj. Jerry L. Cole, sergeant major for the 1st Force Service Support Group. Leaders understand that stocks are still running low.

"Of course we'll take that into consideration," Cole said. "It's just not available to everyone right now. I was in a uniform shop ... and Marines kept coming in asking for them.

"You can't put it on if you don't have it," he added.

After shipping everything they had in stock ? most of it to Camp Pendleton ? Vanguard increased their production to meet the new demand.

"We expect to have all the orders shipped within one or two weeks," Harrison said.

Some, who were actually able to get the ribbon, have raised questions about the quality.

"It's not the good quality we're used to getting," said Sgt. Cory Taylor, from 2nd Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment. "It's all frayed."

Harrison explained the problem by pointing out that the ribbon is different; the pattern is horizontal instead of vertical, and this causes the ends of the ribbon to easily become frayed, he said.

"The PUC is one of only two American awards that have the material running sideways," he said.

"It's a completely different manufacturing process from the other 300-plus awards," Harrison added.

Cole said it's a problem the military supply system needs to look into further.

"If what they've got doesn't work, they need to get a better manufacturer," Cole said. "Marines take great pride in their uniforms. We need to have something that's comparable with that."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/7FADF568BD623C9B85256DDE0079AA83?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

11-17-03, 04:37 PM
PUC on ribbon board needs to be up - dated to include stars, no i dont want the job. this is an outstanding site, keep up the good work. Semper Fi - Billsan

Sparrowhawk
11-17-03, 04:51 PM
I'm not using it right now....

just take the two stars out.

Never knew they frayed at the edges... haven't worn them long enough to notice but the wife does gets angry with me when I wear the ribbons to bed.

LOL

ncruz
08-25-10, 11:43 AM
i want to know who rates this award? i served with 1/1 form '94 - '98 on camp horno.

DocGreek
08-25-10, 11:47 AM
Please check the dates of the above posts, THEN......ask your immediate superior for advice.

gkmoz
08-25-10, 12:11 PM
PUC on ribbon board needs to be up - dated to include stars, no i dont want the job. this is an outstanding site, keep up the good work. Semper Fi - Billsan
Gunns, We all like to know to whom we are addressing, could ya fill out your profile ? Thanx Gunny ! S/F :flag: Moz P.s. Iffin that be your service # ? Ya been around awhile ? NO ??

Wyoming
08-25-10, 12:53 PM
Gunns, We all like to know to whom we are addressing, could ya fill out your profile ? Thanx Gunny ! S/F :flag: Moz P.s. Iffin that be your service # ? Ya been around awhile ? NO ??

Yeah right, he'll get right on the profile issue.:bunny:

Last Activity: 12-30-03 01:45 PM

DocGreek
08-25-10, 01:45 PM
AL....thanks for the BIG GIGGLE!!!!

larry99
08-25-10, 05:12 PM
duh took me 40 years to get the navy achiement and combat v

DJW
08-25-10, 06:30 PM
Longtime in coming Larry99 {YOU DESERVED COMBAT V} Once a MARINE Always a MARINE!!!

Sgt Leprechaun
08-25-10, 11:45 PM
And yet another one brought back from the DEAD. And now moved to the proper forum.

Also, check the NavMC that is listed at upper section as a sticky, it'll tell you who rates what and when.