PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about being a Marine Corps Drill Instructor...

USMCTANKER08
05-08-12, 07:57 PM
Well, its time for me to make a decision. The monitor told me I'd be a perfect candidate for Marine Security Guard Duty, Recruiting Duty or OF COURSE Drill Instructor Duty! I'm new on here because I...

USMCTANKER08
05-09-12, 03:05 PM
Advice?

gkmoz
05-09-12, 03:12 PM
PM me, I will get you some sound advice from another source. Moz USMC 68-70

Old Marine
05-09-12, 05:42 PM
Being a Drill Instructor is the most rewarding experience you will ever have. Simple as that. I was a Drill Instructor a very long time ago and I am sure like everything in the Corps these days much has changed. If you are looking for rank on the drill field is the place to aquire it. In 1966 when I was there I had veen a Buck Sgt 10 years and right out of D.I. School picked up E-5 Sgt. After 7 years on the drill field I retired in 1973 as a GySgt., which was fine with me becaust when I joined the Corps the highest you could go in the enlisted ranks was MSgt. E-7. If you are married, you have to tell your wife that you will see her when you have some time off. Have a great tour.

1stSgtMell
05-09-12, 06:37 PM
Go for it Devildog, it'll be the best thing you can do for your career. I went on the field as a young Buck Sergeant in 1958 and was promoted to Sergeant again as an E-5 in less than a year later. I was selected for Sgt Major with 19 years but turned it down to make my way into the civilian world. You sound like exactly what they need for making Marines in this day and age. I wish my Grandson had stayed in and become a Drill Instructor that can mold a civilian into a fighting machine, but he decided against staying in also.