PDA

View Full Version : Remember When??

SARGE
11-15-03, 12:46 PM
The older coots will remember. A gem from Longhorn Fan Zone:
------------------------------------------------

Stroll with me...close your eyes...and go back before the internet...before bombings, aids, herpes, before semiautomatics and crack...before SEGA or Super Nintendo...way back!

I'm talking about sitting on the curb, sitting on the steps...about malt shops, hide-and-go-seek, Simon says and red-light-green-light. Lunch boxes with a thermos...chocolate milk, going home for lunch, penny candy from the store, hopscotch, butterscotch, skates with keys, jacks and Cracker Jacks, hula hoops and sunflower seeds, wax lips and mustaches, Mary Jane's, saddle shoes and Coke bottles with the names of cities on the bottom.

Remember when it took five minutes for the TV to warm up. When nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids arrived home from school.

When nobody owned a purebred dog. When a quarter was a decent allowance. When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.

When your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces. When all of your teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels. Remember running through the sprinkler, circle pins, Bobby pins, Mickey Mouse Club, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Kookla, Fran and Ollie, Dick Clark's American Bandstand...all in black and white and your Mom made you turn it off when a storm came.

When around the corner seemed far away and going downtown seemed like going somewhere. Climbing trees, making forts, lemonade stands, cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, staring at clouds, jumping on the bed, pillow fights, ribbon candy, angel hair on the Christmas tree, white gloves, walking to the movie theater, running till you were out of breath, your first haircut, laughing so hard that you stomach hurt...remember that?

Not stepping on a crack or you'd break your mother's back, paper chains at Christmas, silhouettes of Lincoln and Washington, the smells of school, of past and "Evening in Paris" perfume.

When you got your windshield cleaned, oiled checked and gas pumped without asking-all for free-every time. You didn't pay for air and you got trading stamps to boot. When laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box.

When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner to a real restaurant with your parents. When the worst thing you could do at school was flunk a test or chew gum. The prom was in the gym or the lunch room and you danced to a real orchestra. When they threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed -- and they did it.

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home. Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was so much greater than the threat.

Remember when people went steady; and girls wore a class ring with an inch of wrapped adhesive tape so it would fit their finger. When no one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the car and house doors were never locked.

Remember playing baseball with no adults needing to enforce the rules of the game. And, with all our progress, don't you wish, that just once you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace...and share it with the children of today?

Remember The Lone Ranger and Tonto, The Shadow Knows, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Trigger and Buttermilk...As well as the sound of a real mower on Saturday morning, and summers filled with bike rides, baseball games, bowling, visits to the pool...and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar from the palm of you hand.

There, didn't that feel good? Just to lean back and say: "Yeah, I remember"

cfs

thedrifter
11-15-03, 01:27 PM
Remember pitching baeball cards against the bottom step, or using a clothespin to attach a card to the spoke of your bicycle to get that motorcycle noise. The only place to get a cherrycoke was at the Malt Shop. When Bandstand came from Philadelphia, even before Dick Clark.

Going to the A & P (now Super Fresh) on saturday morning with your mother to go food shopping, than bringing it all home in your red wagon..........

Playing sand lot baseball, just for the fun of playing...........No parents to interfere with the games..........

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

SARGE
11-15-03, 02:36 PM
Playing hide 'n seek at night with the neighbor kids and tripping over someone's water hose while hiding.

thedrifter
11-15-03, 04:52 PM
Do you remember?

01. Candy cigarettes
02. Wax coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside
03. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
04. Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes
05. Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum
06. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
07. Party lines
08. Newsreels before the movie
09. P. F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix - Drexel-5505
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM Records
15. Green Stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice cube trays, with levers
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flash Bulbs
20. Beanie and Cecil
21. roller skate keys
22. Cork pop guns
23. Drive ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers
26. The Fuller Brush man
27. Reel-to-reel tape recorders
28. Tinkertoys
29. The Erector Set
30. The Fort Apache Playset
31. Lincoln Logs
32. 15 cent McDonald hamburgers
33. 5 cent packs of baseball cards with that awful pink slab of bubblegum
34. Penny candy
35. Tabasco Sauce

jfreas
11-15-03, 05:43 PM
My skate board was a piece of 2x4 with arollerskate taken apart(they were metal then), with one half nailed to the front of the 2by and the other end at the rear. An orange crate was then nailed to it with a couple of 1by's for handles. You nailed pop bottle caps on it for decorations. Grew up in Philly to Drifter, and remember when Bandstand was just a local show with a guy named Bob Horn running it. Ah the good old days.

marinemom
11-15-03, 07:33 PM
"When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home. Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was so much greater than the threat."

Remember growing up in real neighborhoods - when you had to get past the neighbors and your friends' parents BEFORE you got home,lol. You could have caught hell at least five times before the parents got you.

God, I miss it!

NEWB
11-15-03, 11:42 PM
DO I REMEMBER!!!!!
I grew up in a very small town in Southern Indidana, where everyone and I mean everyone knew each other. We couldn't get away with a darn thing. Our parents knew what we had done 30 minutes before we got home.
And triping over a water hose was small compared to forgetting where the clothes lines was in so and so's back yard when you were trying to take a short cut home before curfew. I am lucky I didn't break my neck at least 20 times before I learned all the hazards. Oh, yeah and who had to meanest dogs around.
One more thing I remember is being raised in a house with 3 bedrooms and a Path, and the Sears and Roebuck Cataloge. Anyone remember those. Winter was a especially fun time.
My best memories are of playing basketball until Dad finally yelled for us to quit, which was usually around 10PM, or don't make him come out there. Yes Sir, those were the days. Kids could be kids. If we got our butts paddled, we usually deserved it and after the paddeling was over the issue was closed.
Thanks Sarge for taking this old fart back to those days. Semper Fi

NEWB

Devildogg4ever
11-16-03, 05:21 AM
Dang, I remember all these!! Now ya'll making me feel old!! Remember never having to lock your doors at night? Remember when going to the drive-in seemed as big as Christmas? How about when kids would read comic books, because it was hard to get a copy of Playboy?

marinemom
11-16-03, 05:58 AM
One more thing - probably more for those of us who grew up in cities - your parents al telling you to "Be home before the street lights come on."

Devildogg4ever, none of us who remember this stuff are "old" - we are mature and vibrant (or at least that's what I tell the kids, lol).

GySgtRet
11-16-03, 09:48 AM
I remember when I built a bycycle out of parts that I found at a junk yard. Dad wouldn't buy one for each of us, there were five kids. It went along pretty good till the frame that was rusted through broke when I was riding it. Those were good days. No locks the keys in the car, Rural PA was very roomy. Our closest neighbor was a 1/4 mile away. A trip to town was a big deal. About a 15 mile trip to get groceries. Thanks SARGE for the memories. The Drifter has a very good listing of the memories.

Semper Fidelis

cadetat6
11-16-03, 01:43 PM
Hi, I am old WW2 Air Corp and infantry I hope you don't mind my rememerance, my sisters husband was WW2 Marine LT. and if this is proper I could show you one of his letters about crossing Eqator and...

Doc Crow
11-17-03, 01:19 AM
Remember gas under 30 cents a gallon

Remember Gas Wars

Remember the 5 and dime

Remember Roller Skate Keys

Wahrmund
11-17-03, 01:28 AM
My question lately, especially in traffic, what the heck did we we before cell phones.

SARGE, i think you're from the SA area. remember the Flame, The Pig Stand, The Bun & Barrel? Joskies? The Cold AC at the sears on Military Dr?

CPLRapoza
11-17-03, 04:56 AM
I remember most of these things and I'm only 21, but it sure does bring back some good memories and bad ones to.