PDA

View Full Version : questions about my first duty station/Okinawa

appz
04-24-12, 03:26 PM
I'm supposed to report into my unit next week and i have a couple questions about that. I'm an admin attached to the 1st MAW, i was told that i might go to camp foster or futenma, anyone knows which one? Also do i have to be a certain rank to drive a car/motorcycle? Last question, what's Okinawa really like for a Marine?

Apache
04-24-12, 04:10 PM
COMPLETE PROFILE

When we have an idea who we are talking to you will get answers

MOS4429
04-24-12, 04:30 PM
I'm supposed to report into my unit next week and i have a couple questions about that. I'm an admin attached to the 1st MAW, i was told that i might go to camp foster or futenma, anyone knows which one? Also do i have to be a certain rank to drive a car/motorcycle? Last question, what's Okinawa really like for a Marine?

My answers may be dated, was there '83-84. But Futenma is the air station that is located up on the hill above Foster. Here is a possible scenario: You live on Foster but work on Futenma. Knew a few admins in that situation.

As far as rank to drive, you will need someone to answer who has been there recently. From a post I read in the past, if memory serves, you cannot have a POV as an E-1 or E-2, but do some research on it.

And the last question is so broad, it is difficult to answer. Search this site. There were some good answers on the subject. It depends on what you like to do. As an 01, the duty should be 0730 to 1630. You will have a lot of free time. There are a lot of activities, good beaches, plenty of sight seeing, sports, gyms, interesting food, etc., scuba diving, whatever. Google what to do on okinawa.

appz
04-24-12, 05:07 PM
That makes sense. Hopefully i get to work and live on foster though. From what i'm hearing so far it seems like it'll be a pretty good duty station. One thing that seems to make a lot of Marines hate Oki seems to be the restrictions. Especially the one where you have to be back on base by 12.

appz
04-24-12, 05:09 PM
COMPLETE PROFILE

When we have an idea who we are talking to you will get answers

I'm not sure what else to edit.

cw1970
04-24-12, 05:37 PM
You have to be back on base by midnight? I never heard of that when I was there.

I spent two tours in Oki from 91-92 and 98. If my memory serves me right, I didn't think that there were any rank restrictions for Marines who are permanently assigned there. There are alot of Marines deployed to Okinawa on a tempory basis, and those Marines were not allowed to own a pov.

Foster is a nice base with plenty to do. I would suggest you stay busy in Oki by taking in the culture and learning something new. In my time there, you were either an alcoholic or a gym rat! MWR has alot of tours that you can do and the water is great for scuba diving!

Kegler300
04-24-12, 05:56 PM
I was th PersO with MWSS-172 in 91-92 at Futenma which is right next to Foster. Our MWSG-17 headquarters was located on Foster. Either location is sweet, compared to others, i.e., Hansen, Schwab, etc. I was at Hansen in 77-78 and spent most of my time in the field or at Pohang, South Korea and Mt. Fuji, Japan.

It didn't hurt that I had a drivers license and car when I was at Futenma. There is a lot to do and see on Okinawa. Also, if you like to SCUBA or snorkel, you can't beat Okinawa.

Marine1955
04-24-12, 06:33 PM
That makes sense. Hopefully i get to work and live on foster though. From what i'm hearing so far it seems like it'll be a pretty good duty station. One thing that seems to make a lot of Marines hate Oki seems to be the restrictions. Especially the one where you have to be back on base by 12.

Never heard of that either..look at my profile then get your fixed..

Marine1955
04-24-12, 06:38 PM
I was th PersO with MWSS-172 in 91-92 at Futenma which is right next to Foster. Our MWSG-17 headquarters was located on Foster. Either location is sweet, compared to others, i.e., Hansen, Schwab, etc. I was at Hansen in 77-78 and spent most of my time in the field or at Pohang, South Korea and Mt. Fuji, Japan.

It didn't hurt that I had a drivers license and car when I was at Futenma. There is a lot to do and see on Okinawa. Also, if you like to SCUBA or snorkel, you can't beat Okinawa.

LOL yea having a driving license does help to pass time..I remember my buddy had one of those little pick-ups that was a two setter and when we went to town we pile up in back and pay him to take us to town.. he had a flat on it one night and we all got out and lifted it up and change the tire with out a jack it was so much fun over there..

appz
04-25-12, 09:13 AM
You have to be back on base by midnight? I never heard of that when I was there.

I spent two tours in Oki from 91-92 and 98. If my memory serves me right, I didn't think that there were any rank restrictions for Marines who are permanently assigned there. There are alot of Marines deployed to Okinawa on a tempory basis, and those Marines were not allowed to own a pov.

Foster is a nice base with plenty to do. I would suggest you stay busy in Oki by taking in the culture and learning something new. In my time there, you were either an alcoholic or a gym rat! MWR has alot of tours that you can do and the water is great for scuba diving!
I definitely plan on doing as much as possible, learning the culture, language, pretty much spend as much time off base as possible.

appz
04-25-12, 09:15 AM

The only bad thing i've heard about Futenma is the size of the base. Hopefully there's no rank restrictions on driving.

Jarhead1975
04-25-12, 09:29 AM
I was there Dec 76 to Nov 77. Hq&Hq-18, MACG-18 based on Futenma At the time, there was a helo squadron at Foster, but mostly stationed at Futenma. It's been a while and certainly changes have occurred. You'll just have to wait to get there. Scuba diving was a most popular sport there in my day. You can get your open water certification there. Plus that is some of the best diving you can do. The coral off the sea wall is fantastic.

AAV Crewchief
04-25-12, 11:11 AM

Hook up with AF girls are Kadena and stay away from the "buy me drinky" girls in the local beverage establishments.

Apache
04-25-12, 11:38 AM
And what's wrong with "buy me dinky" girls ?
LOL----------

One in particular was a high priced companion,she wanted $ 5.00 a night !

AH---- the good times

Marine1955
04-25-12, 12:19 PM
Hook up with AF girls are Kadena and stay away from the "buy me drinky" girls in the local beverage establishments.

Yes stay away from the buy me drinky W H O R E s,, you might get something that Ajax want clean up...

appz
04-25-12, 02:36 PM
lol, what exactly is a buy me drink girl?

cw1970
04-25-12, 03:06 PM
A buy me drinky girl is a girl who hangs out/ works at the bars that most GI's go to. They usually ask you to buy them drinks and latch on to you the whole time. There drinks are watered down, but yours is full strength. That way you get s**t faced and loose track of how much you spent! Sometimes they are prostitutes. Also, as I recall, they are all Filipinos shipped over to work in bars to take money from troops!

Beware!!

Marine1955
04-25-12, 03:55 PM
A buy me drinky girl is a girl who hangs out/ works at the bars that most GI's go to. They usually ask you to buy them drinks and latch on to you the whole time. There drinks are watered down, but yours is full strength. That way you get s**t faced and loose track of how much you spent! Sometimes they are prostitutes. Also, as I recall, they are all Filipinos shipped over to work in bars to take money from troops!

Beware!!

Not all are Filipinos. stay away from creep street Hahahaha

SGT7477
04-25-12, 09:26 PM
You will learn quickly, Okinawan Cherry Boy, let the good times roll,lol,Semper Fidelis.

Marine1955
04-25-12, 10:59 PM
You will learn quickly, Okinawan Cherry Boy, let the good times roll,lol,Semper Fidelis.

make sure you let them know your a cherry boy hahahahahahaha!!!!!! you will love it then..

bodidly58
04-26-12, 05:58 AM
:flag:

Looks like we may have spent some time together on Oki! I was there 77-78, also. And spent 8 weeks at Pohang (August-September) I was fortunate enough to have gone on three flyaways and one float (Op Fortress Lightning), so I didn't get to see all of the Island. Great experience! Semper-Fi!

Jarhead1975
04-26-12, 07:56 AM
Never heard of a curfew, only one I remember was in Korea, where we actually were issued SOFA cards and had to be back on base by midnight. But don't remember such for Oki. Also there was no rank restriction on driver's licence that I can remember. Whether you enjoy your tour or not depends totally on you. Some liked it others did not. It's an individual thing. I know a friend who did 7 years on Oki, even married a local girl so it's a personal thing. There are lots of things to do if you look for them. Drinking and scuba seemed to be the most popular when I was there.

Jarhead1975
04-26-12, 08:02 AM
"Okinawa cherry boy". Keep your eyes open and hold on to your wallet. cw1970 gives a good definition of buy me drinky girls, they are very tricky, like he says some are prostitutes, all have the same goal, TO GET YOUR MONEY. Also dont be surprised if while with one hand she is handling your "equipment", the other is going for the wallet. Like he said "BEWARE".

Jarhead1975
04-26-12, 08:06 AM
I was in Pohang Mar - Apr 77 and was on Mindoro Island for operation Fortress Lightning, I was with Hq&Hq-18, MACG-18. Who were you with? Looks like we chewed some of the same dirt.

appz
04-26-12, 10:35 AM
Wow, Oki sounds fun but what's with all the weird things lol. Cherry boy, buy me drink girl, stealing my wallet. Haha i think i'll enjoy the next two years.

Marine1955
04-26-12, 11:01 AM
Keep your wallet in your front pocket and never carry very much money with you..If your nice to the locals they will respond in kind.. I was in stationed in Naha,Okinawa Japan and I had a Japanese Captain I became friends with and on some weekends he would take me to the nicer bars where they don't say buy me drink boy-san..
Naha is great to go and see and to tour around the city with friends and also they have Beer vending machines on the street when I was there..
You could buy a beer and walk down the street with it and drink it...OH yea. don't be surprised if a woman come in the head your in That happen to me in 74 when on my first time over seas I was taking a dump and moma-san walks in and sit down across from me say Morning Marine-san to say the less I was shocked trying to cover up when she was finished she got up and left.. also they are or were allowed to pizz out doors into benjo trenches or ditches DON'T you try to pizz outside you'll get arrested they are allowed to do it..
And don't ever try to jump over them my Buddie and I tried and boy did we smell ...
Ahhhh the good old days wish I could go back...

AAV Crewchief
04-26-12, 11:12 AM
Don't be trying to hang out at Camp Schwab.

BGW
04-26-12, 01:17 PM
E-3 and everything down are restricted to be back on base before midnight. If you are E-4 above then you can stay out all night but you have to be out of all drinking establishments at midnight. If your again a E-3 or lower you will have a battle body with you at all times when you leave base. Meaning you have to check out with one or more Marines to leave base.

As for obtaining a car... depends on your unit. Some units absolutly refuses to let any one get a POV unless your a E-5 or above. Some units however just want at least six months on island and also a duty driver.

You will see why alot of Marines hate okinawa, especially when Okinawa is your first duty station. You do not have rank to be out all night, dont have rank to be independent and most likely you will not have opportunity to get a POV. Your going to be stuck on base having to use taxies (honcho's) and all that ****.

Some Marines might venture out in town a little... but most Marines just stay on base at the barracks or e-clubs getting drunk.

Also I was on futenma and I ****ing loved it there... so small and so nice....

At the end... its just depends on how you see things. I left Okinawa less then a year ago so I have some what more updated information....

EastofWest18
04-26-12, 02:59 PM
How is it over there now that we are sleeves down all year?

My MOS instructors used to tell stories about how everyone waited until it was time to get back to summer uniform so they could roll their sleeves due to the heat and humidity.

BGW
04-26-12, 03:21 PM
You can just off your blouse when its hot, so I do not see the problem. Yah sure when your walking from work to the chow hall it might get a little hot and sweaty but its not like that lasts long any how.

I liked sleeved down all year becasue I no longer have to trouble myself with nice sleeves.

bodidly58
04-26-12, 07:55 PM
E-3 and everything down are restricted to be back on base before midnight. If you are E-4 above then you can stay out all night but you have to be out of all drinking establishments at midnight. If your again a E-3 or lower you will have a battle body with you at all times when you leave base. Meaning you have to check out with one or more Marines to leave base.
BGW It all depends on how you look at it! Personally, I had the best time of my life! I was @ 3rd Combat Engineers on Hansen. I got there March '77, spent Apr/May in JEST with 4th Marines. Spent 8 weeks Aug/Sep in Korea with the 1/9. Got back to Oki on Saturday, left on the USS Alamo the following Thursday on Operation Fortress Lightning..another month. Left between Xmas and New Years to Mt. Fuji with the 4th Marines, again. Got back to Oki the middle of Feb with 17 days left to rotation! I had a blast! Others hated it!
As for obtaining a car... depends on your unit. Some units absolutly refuses to let any one get a POV unless your a E-5 or above. Some units however just want at least six months on island and also a duty driver.

You will see why alot of Marines hate okinawa, especially when Okinawa is your first duty station. You do not have rank to be out all night, dont have rank to be independent and most likely you will not have opportunity to get a POV. Your going to be stuck on base having to use taxies (honcho's) and all that ****.

Some Marines might venture out in town a little... but most Marines just stay on base at the barracks or e-clubs getting drunk.

Also I was on futenma and I ****ing loved it there... so small and so nice....

At the end... its just depends on how you see things. I left Okinawa less then a year ago so I have some what more updated information....

BGW
04-26-12, 09:13 PM
I can imagine 25 years ago being quite different then it is now. Okinawa over all has become increasingly strict to further try and prevent any wrong doings from ever occuring and when caught usually goes with quite a punishment. But of course some Marines find their own way to enjoy Okinawa.

I heard stories about Okinawa in the 90's and how great it was... I bet in the 80's and 70's you probably could get away with murder.

tripledog
04-27-12, 05:02 AM
I was there in 62. Cinderalla liberty except on weekends. Steam bath, massage and honk job 2.00. Live in with female 15.00 per month. No auto except officers. Ashi beer 5 cents, Tory or Suntory 25-40 cents. Had to buy the bottle and leave in your fav bar. E club was 5 cents for beer 10 cents for shots. 50 drunk with 4 other buddies drinking boilermakers out of a lazy susan.

bodidly58
04-27-12, 05:12 AM
Just read a few minutes ago that 9000 Marines will be leaving Okinawa to Guam and other Asian bases to 'thin' our presence on the Island. Our presence has been 'thinned' worldwide while Korea, China, Iran and others are beefing up their military. Makes me worry what another 35 years of change will do....

mexbearlll
04-27-12, 07:01 AM
If you get up to Camp Hanson ,check out Kinville and let some of us older Marines know ,if Chinanight or Dreamland, Club Hawaii,Snack Boogie, are still operating???? Spent lots of time and$$$$ in those clubs.... 1983-1984/ 1988-1989 with 6 months in PoHang ,Team Spirit 84...........

Jarhead1975
04-27-12, 08:01 AM
Yes sir, I was there 76 -77 I'm sure it's much different now. Kadena AFB chow hall was nice, they had people that came and cleared the table for you. You could get as much as you could eat. Club Cannon had a Band there that was pretty good, lets not forget the famous "Banana show". Yep it was fun. Good old days.

Jarhead1975
04-27-12, 08:10 AM
Howdy Bodidly58. What unit were you with on Oki, I was there 76-77 with Hq&Hq-18, MACG-18. I was in Pohang mar-apr and on Fortress Lightning in Sep-Oct 77. That's when that chopper went down. I was supposed to be on that bird but missed it because I had to get batteries for the radio and got there late. The only time I was ever late in the Corps and it likely saved my life.

MOS4429
04-27-12, 10:47 AM
Well, Marine, it may be moot and you'll find yourself on Guam instead.

Read thread at: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?109674-9000-Devil-Dogs-to-leave-Okinawa-deal-reached

AAV Crewchief
04-27-12, 11:22 AM
APPZ,

Whatever you do, don't try and take orders for CLNC once you are done there. That place is what caused me to get out of the Corps due to the insanity that permeates everything and anything at the base. I had orders for 29 Palms and really regret not taking them because I probably would have had a better experience there instead of CLNC.

bodidly58
04-27-12, 11:26 AM
Jarhead1975 H&S Co. 3rd Combat Engineers Bn. (3rd DSG, then) I had been back from Pohang with 1/9 only 5 days before leaving to Mindoro, PI on Fortress Lightning. Yep, remember that CH 53 going down vividly. Not a good day. Still gets to me at times. The whole op was a disaster. A long story I probably will never tell...

bodidly58
04-27-12, 11:34 AM
If you get up to Camp Hanson ,check out Kinville and let some of us older Marines know ,if Chinanight or Dreamland, Club Hawaii,Snack Boogie, are still operating???? Spent lots of time and$$$$ in those clubs.... 1983-1984/ 1988-1989 with 6 months in PoHang ,Team Spirit 84........... You forgot the Keyhole! Man, was it impossible to find your way outta there after a few shots too many! LOL!

appz
04-28-12, 11:34 AM
I wonder when this will actually happen. Hopefully after my 2 years are up.

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=116105

doc h fmf
04-28-12, 12:40 PM
During my time I worked with the volunteer,and we went on some great tours
And like top said there are some great places to snorkel so enjoy your stay.
I did!!
Semper FI

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

AAV Crewchief
04-28-12, 01:20 PM
If you get up to Camp Hanson ,check out Kinville and let some of us older Marines know ,if Chinanight or Dreamland, Club Hawaii,Snack Boogie, are still operating???? Spent lots of time and$$$$ in those clubs.... 1983-1984/ 1988-1989 with 6 months in PoHang ,Team Spirit 84...........

30 years ago... LOL there was a place called KOBE steak house outside of Hansen. Food was awesome.

appz
04-28-12, 01:53 PM
I was actually excited about leaving next week, but now that they're relocating 9,000 Marines from Oki, not so much.

Kegler300
04-28-12, 02:31 PM
Check out The Stage while you're there..O:

bodidly58
04-28-12, 03:32 PM
KOBE! What a place to eat! Thanks for the memory! I had forgotten about that place!

Jarhead1975
04-28-12, 05:01 PM
THere was a place called Sam's by the sea, great Kobe beef. Also just down the hill from Futenma, there was a place used to be about $6.00, you filled your bowl took it to the cook and he'd fire it up for you. Yakisoba and hot saki. Nuba one GI.

mexbearlll
04-28-12, 09:08 PM
you guys are bringing back some good times for me. I'm ready to ship out again,only grand kids might not like it:( just remember "you get out of life what you put in to it" enjoy yourself. oh yeah THE STAGE......

appz
04-28-12, 10:31 PM
What exactly is the stage? Okinawa is starting to sound pretty good. Praying that i'm not one of those 9,000 Marines being relocated.

mexbearlll
04-29-12, 05:57 AM
TOP ,do you want in handle this one??

bodidly58
04-29-12, 07:44 AM
you guys are bringing back some good times for me. I'm ready to ship out again,only grand kids might not like it:( just remember "you get out of life what you put in to it" enjoy yourself. oh yeah THE STAGE......mexbearIII, I'm with you! we'll start an old farts battalion! Show these young pups where and how to have a good time! OOH-RAH!

mexbearlll
04-29-12, 07:56 AM
No problem, I was always told to use the buddy system while on liberty anyway. Where you at east coast? I'm in RENO.NV. Oh yeah the grandkids and I take a nap from 1300-1500,just to let you know lol........

bodidly58
04-29-12, 08:47 AM
No problem, I was always told to use the buddy system while on liberty anyway. Where you at east coast? I'm in RENO.NV. Oh yeah the grandkids and I take a nap from 1300-1500,just to let you know lol........Southwest Virginia. So in the heart of the Appalachian Mtns. that rainwater runs in all direction out of the yard! LOL! About 15 minutes from VT. 45 minutes west of Roanoke.

kyle1840
01-23-17, 02:19 AM
I'm getting stationed there in a month and I was just wondering if I should do anything in preparation such as changing banks or phone companies.

smith1811
01-24-17, 08:02 PM
Just take time to look around at something other than the bars, do the scuba and snorkeling. Meet some locals that aren't working for your entertainment. Tour the island,lots of History. Show them respect and they may open up a little.And swing through Henoko .see if I left any kids running around . They ought to be about 39 or 40 yrs. old now ;)

Melvin Jeffries
01-24-17, 09:18 PM
Hey Jarhead 1975, the word Yakisoba stood out like a beacon. I was with 1st MAW
Hqs in 64-65 and Yakisoba was my favorite dish. I used to sit and watch them make it in the small restaurants that would only seat 6 or 7 people on bar stools so it was easy to watch them fix it. I still prepare it at home a few times a year and still love it, always brings back found memories.