PDA

View Full Version : Mt Fuji...

FoxtrotOscar
04-14-12, 01:51 PM
I'm just curious to see who and how many may have taken the time to climb Mt Fuji, Japan... I did in 1973 while stationed at Yokosuka, Ja.. Been at Camp Fuji a couple of times in the 70's, lived in GP tents and then later quonset huts... 21776 21777

Kegler300
04-14-12, 02:07 PM
Was there in 1978 and lived in the quonset huts...had to hike to the head and showers. Didn't make the climb though...

milkrun49
04-14-12, 04:55 PM
I was at Cam Fugi living in the quonset huts, oil heat and very cold showers. Remember it well. I was with India 3/12 arty as a radio man. I especially remember setting up the guns and after the first shot got off you would see the prosters waving flags in the impact area. Then we would have to wait till the Japanese police flew in on choppers and arrested them. This was every day.

Ceya
04-14-12, 04:58 PM
I stayed in the huts once but buildings were done.

Climbed it 3 times in 2 yrs while on deployment.

As permanent personnel- NONE.

I would have climbed it more and wished I have done a winter climb too.

S/F,
CEYA!

greensideout
04-14-12, 09:41 PM
I climbed Fuji in '62. We took a 6X to the other side of the "hill". We did that so the climb down would put us back into the camp. Fuji was a tent camp at the time. I was stationed there for about five months. Great duty,I enjoyed it there!

ameriken
04-14-12, 10:30 PM
I was with 3/9 when we went to Camp Fuji for around 10 weeks in Summer/Fall 1977. I too remember the walk to the showers...the cold showers, and the quonset huts.

Climbed Fuji once with someone else in our Supply unit, we walked from the base up the highway and then onto one of the trails. Then our entire company climbed it again before we left for Subic Bay and Operation Fortress Lightning.

ameriken
04-14-12, 10:35 PM
Camp Fuji circa Aug-Sept 77. Motor pool behind the quonset huts.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13102&d=1241560379

fastback190
04-15-12, 07:01 PM
climb it with 2/4 fox co august 1993

Rooger
04-15-12, 08:58 PM
Climbed it twice. Once With Fox 2/4 in 1980-81 as a part of the ENGR Detachment, and once with just the Engineers

kbay0351
04-16-12, 09:59 AM
Climbed in '94 with 2/3...5 tons took us to the dropoff point and we hoofed it up in a couple hours. I remember a few hardcores ran up. Everybody ran down, though, easier on the knees. I remember at the top in the crater all the words in different languages made with rocks. Pretty cool.

kbay0351
04-16-12, 10:05 AM
I guess we had it easy, the barracks were finished when I was there. They were squad bays closed off by wall lockers with a big rec room. The gym was in a quonset hut, same as the arcade. I remeber going on runs around the perimeter on the dirt road. We went to the field a lot there, one time our Lt got us lost and we humped sunup to sundown trying to find the rest of the platoon.

tripledog
04-27-12, 05:09 AM
Climb it? Station there in 62 for 4 months, didnt want nothing to do with that part of it. Getting off it was my main objective.

irpat54
04-27-12, 08:06 AM
was there in 75, with golf co 2/9, humpt it once and was in a 6x crash that sent half my squad to BAS, and the rest of us was very sore for a few days, but who could forget the Quonset huts, and the leaky roofs, we had one pfc there that decided he needed to go out in a typhoon and try to make it to the showers,, the wind knocked him off his feet and he came back a couple min, later with mud all over him,, we laughed our azz off at the knuckle head,,

cw1970
05-02-12, 09:46 AM
I remembered being stationed @ Camp Fuji in '91 with AAV's. We stayed in the quonset hut as well. It was pretty damn cold, but it was a welcomed relief from the heat and humidity of Oki!

Our platoon commander had decided that for liberty, he would take the whole platoon and climb Mt Fuji for fun! There we were, in our civvies and alice packs climbing Mt Fuji! We underestimated the weather plus ran out of daylight and only made it halfway up. But it was interesting to see the old local Japanese guys running up the mountain as if it was no big deal!

Eric Hood
05-11-12, 04:02 PM
I was there in '79. Right after us, 2/4 was in a very bad fire.

bodidly58
05-11-12, 08:15 PM
Jan-Feb of '78 with the 4th Marines. And there were HOT showers! Myself and 'Bubbles' Malone worked on those damn things for two weeks before the main party arrived. Then, it was a six week party until it was time to go. We built a guard tower at the ammo bunkers. Didn't climb the mountain, tho. We had a nasty storm while there. A CH46 Sea Knight crashed just outside the compound killing all four crew. Only bad memory of my short stay there.

bodidly58
05-11-12, 08:29 PM
Rooger...3rd Combat Engineers out of Hansen, I take it?

cesmoot
12-18-12, 06:01 PM
I was also there with Kilo 3/4. I remember the helo crash well. A blinding snow storm came out of nowhere, as I recall. The chopper had just ferried Marines from my unit and was probably unable to tell its proximity to the ground on its return to pick up more. The ground was white with snow in no time. I was practically less than 50 yards from the site. No smoke or fire; just flattened like a soda can. We humped back to camp. I may be a little fuzzy on the details. It was a long time ago. I was also involved with the recovery effort of the helo crash during Fortress Lightning in the Philippines.

awbrown1462
12-18-12, 06:45 PM
was there in 73 & 74 with BLT 3/9 I was in F-2/12 did not climb it some buddies did

Rooger
12-18-12, 08:16 PM
Rgr That, 3rd Cbt. bravo company 2nd Plt

USMC-FO
12-19-12, 09:27 AM
Two months in Oct-Nov 1963. With 12th Marines, and we lived in tents, with a hike to the showers. Never climbed the Mt, but have fond memories of clouds floating by 6 ft off the deck, and bar fights and getting laid in the little ville right off the camp enterance. Long time ago !

kfahren
06-11-13, 11:21 PM
I was there with 2/4 on October 19th, the day of typhoon Tip and the fire. I never climbed Mt. Fuji, but will never forget our fallen brothers the day of the fire. It has been 34 years now and I will never forget that day. Sorry this post doesn't pertain to who climbed Fuji, but when I saw Eric Hood's post, I had to say something to all my brothers. You will never be forgotten. Semper Fi

Eric Hood
06-12-13, 08:57 AM
Semper Fi, kfahren. I haven't forgotten either.
Eric

AAV Crewchief
06-12-13, 10:49 AM
Been there, done that(climbed Fuji). I think Fuji was the best duty station the Corps had during my time. I went there for winter training Dec 1982- Jan 1983 and then came back as permanent party in May of 1983 and stayed until the tracs/tank unit was temp shut down(March 1984). Never understood that move. Great dining hall, great place for a Marine to be.

VINCE8541
06-14-13, 06:38 AM
Lt Col Fox led 1/6 up Mt Fuji in July 1983. A good many infantry Marines fell out and did not make it to the top. As I recall there were a few promotion at the peak.

jrohr
07-14-13, 06:58 PM
Just like kfahren, I was there when Tip blew through. I was also there earlier in '79 and had a great view of Fuji, but never had the chance to climb it. Then, the whole time I was there around Tip time, I never saw the famous mountain for the clouds. I even took my camera that time.

Turbogus
08-06-13, 09:02 AM
Not of my own experience but of my father's (a lifer w/30 years service) he would talk story (even more after I was in) about his time at Tent Camp #2 at Gotemba (Goat Town they called it) at the base of Fujiyama. This was during the initial occupation after 1945. He had said that along the route there were small shrines where he got inscriptions on his "Fuji Stick" does anyone know what these look like? Any pics? My wife is from Ohito-cho near Fujiyama but is unfamiliar with this practice herself.

Joe Torrez
09-15-14, 11:43 PM
Climbed in '94 with 2/3...5 tons took us to the dropoff point and we hoofed it up in a couple hours. I remember a few hardcores ran up. Everybody ran down, though, easier on the knees. I remember at the top in the crater all the words in different languages made with rocks. Pretty cool.

I climbed it with Echo Co 2/3 in 1985 in the winter. We thought we weren't going to have to climb it but battalion commander got special clearance to go up in winter. Did Super Squad there as well. Good Times. I didn't want to pay the $5 for the. Fuji Stick. So glad I did. It got so foggy I couldn't see my hand in my face. When it past I looked behind me and realized it wasn't the fog. We had walked through the clouds.

Joe Torrez
09-15-14, 11:49 PM
Not of my own experience but of my father's (a lifer w/30 years service) he would talk story (even more after I was in) about his time at Tent Camp #2 at Gotemba (Goat Town they called it) at the base of Fujiyama. This was during the initial occupation after 1945. He had said that along the route there were small shrines where he got inscriptions on his "Fuji Stick" does anyone know what these look like? Any pics? My wife is from Ohito-cho near Fujiyama but is unfamiliar with this practice herself.
That's right. There were stages all the way up the mountain. Each one you past a local would put a stamp on your Fuji Stick.

Greg dyer
02-27-15, 07:57 AM
I was with 2/4 in 1979 am trying to figure this out was there during the fire just found this site semper fi.

03-01-15, 07:37 PM
yes 1976 cold weather training with 3/4