PDA

View Full Version : Desert Duck Airlines

taternuts
03-21-12, 01:48 PM
I found another box of my late father's Vietnam stuff (71-73), some patches, Tripoli, New Orleans and a Desert Duck Airlines patch. Doesn't seem to fit. I guess that is the question. they're were also some combat wings in there, so I thought maybe it does.

After looking around the web, all the patch versions are completely different than the one I have. I was hoping someone could help me identify the era of the patch, and how the hell someone in vietnam got a the desert patch? trade, maybe. At the least I'd like to know what I'm looking at.

patch descript.:
Sword, there aren't any letters and doesn't look like the curved scimitar.

Eyes, look like left parentheses with dots, not cross-eyed
duck bill, lower bill sticks out more than top

Star around neck

not holding a shield, wing extends from robe.

clearly both feet extend way out from the robe and wearing weaved sandals, bright orange feet

over all thinner duck, it would be like comparing a 1920's mickey mouse to a 2012 version.

Your expertise is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Ed Palmer
03-21-12, 06:01 PM
Desert Duck

USS John Rodgers (DD-983)

On my first cruise, we were stationed in the Persian Gulf at a spot we called 'Gonzo Station.' I'm in the next picture.
http://www.swarthoutfamily.org/MarksFamily/Mark/Military/aStretcher.jpg

The Desert Duck is the nickname given the US Navy Helicopter Combat Support Squadron Light 2 (HC-2) Detachment Two (Det Two), known as 'Desert Duck Airlines.' They operate out of the Manama, Bahrain airport providing search and rescue, re-supply (Mail Call!) and executive transport support to naval vessels assigned to the Arabian Gulf. The author was stationed aboard the USS John Rodgers from November 1981 to January 1984. The events took place in the summer of 1982.

This appeared in the cruise book with the caption
http://www.swarthoutfamily.org/MarksFamily/Mark/Military/aDesertDuck2.jpg

Ronal5
03-22-12, 08:22 AM
Good story when I was in Nam And in Hawaii with 1st bn. 4th Marines we had a Helicopter squadron called "The Pineapple Squadron" or better known as HMM 161 I was a ground pounding radio operator and they took me everywhere I didn't want to go. But that's life. Semper Fi Bros. Enjoyed every day of it.

taternuts
03-27-12, 10:21 AM
Great Picts! I finally scanned this patch. Do you recognize what era it may have come out of? I'm also going to look at what HMM my father was in and pass that on...sooner or later I hope to find someone who knew him.
patch:21712

ggyoung
03-27-12, 11:02 AM
Good story when I was in Nam And in Hawaii with 1st bn. 4th Marines we had a Helicopter squadron called "The Pineapple Squadron" or better known as HMM 161 I was a ground pounding radio operator and they took me everywhere I didn't want to go. But that's life. Semper Fi Bros. Enjoyed every day of it.

When was you with 1/4? I landed with 1/4 on 7May 1965 at Che Lay.

Ronal5
03-27-12, 04:39 PM
I landed with 1/4 in Chu lai via Helicopter from the USS Princeton on May 65 I was a Radio operator we landed in the desert we were there before any ol airport.

ggyoung
03-27-12, 05:15 PM
I was with Whiskey 3/12

Ronal5
03-28-12, 10:34 AM
I was with H & S 1/4 Comm Plt. :thumbup: