PDA

View Full Version : Finding info on a 1974 Marine death

BryanB68
03-14-12, 11:06 PM
Hello all,

I'm trying to help my uncle find some information about a Marine's death while they were stationed at Camp Lejeune in 1974. The VA is giving him the run around because he can't remember the guys name.
Here is the story my uncle told me:
MY uncle was on regimental guard duty at Bldg 1313 (he thinks). His buddy was walking by the armory and was shot/killed by a stray bullet. This happened sometime between June-August 1974

I have pulled the death records from Onslow county, NC from that period and will be sending those to my uncle. He has no computer access and I'm not sure he would know how to use it if he did.

Any other ideas where I can check?

Thank you in advance

thewookie
03-14-12, 11:13 PM
Hello all,

I'm trying to help my uncle find some information about a Marine's death while they were stationed at Camp Lejeune in 1974. The VA is giving him the run around because he can't remember the guys name.
Here is the story my uncle told me:
MY uncle was on regimental guard duty at Bldg 1313 (he thinks). His buddy was walking by the armory and was shot/killed by a stray bullet. This happened sometime between June-August 1974

I have pulled the death records from Onslow county, NC from that period and will be sending those to my uncle. He has no computer access and I'm not sure he would know how to use it if he did.

Any other ideas where I can check?

Thank you in advance

The story sounds fishy. A stray bullet on base?

And not knowing a name is tough.

Have you tried calling the PAO at Lejeune?

BryanB68
03-14-12, 11:15 PM
I'm just getting involved in this tonight. Yes, it does sound strange but I guess it can happen. I plan to call the base tomorrow and hope they can point me in the right direction

Thanks

thewookie
03-14-12, 11:17 PM
I'm just getting involved in this tonight. Yes, it does sound strange but I guess it can happen. I plan to call the base tomorrow and hope they can point me in the right direction

Thanks

Anything is possible.

I would call the base, if somebody was killed on base back then --they would know.

One of the more "seasoned" Marines around here might remember it.

Good luck

Zulu 36
03-15-12, 07:12 AM
It is very possible. In the early 1970s there were a lot of murders at Camp Lejuene. 1973 was a pretty bad year, but I left in early January 1974, so I didn't pay close attention after that. I disliked Lejuene.

The immediate post-Vietnam Marine Corps was not always a great place to be. Lots of racial, violence, and drug problems.

Pulling the Onslow County records is a good idea as there should be a death certificate on record there for any death on Lejuene.

ChuckH
03-15-12, 07:15 AM
BryanB68 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?94042-BryanB68) Please fill out your profile with more than just a name, as per site rules..