PDA

View Full Version : Question: VA disability claim after EAS

Subaru
02-27-12, 11:36 AM
Hey I just had a question, have any of you gone to the VA after your EAS and gotten a VA physical and made a claim?

When I got out I did the 90 day early out thing last year (my sister was dying of cancer and I had barely seen her much since I was stationed on the other side of the country) and I pretty much told the doc at medical that I was 100% good to go, because at the time I didn't have any real aches and pains.

Well fast forward a year and I'm being more active again and all the pains I used to have after humps and 10 mile boots and utes runs are back, sharp pains in my knees and heels and my wife keeps telling me to try and see the VA to get it on my record in case I need any medical attention in the future for it.

So have any of you actually gone to the VA after your EAS and tried to make a claim? Supposedly you can but I just figured I'd ask before I start tearing into something that might involve a lot of paperwork and not be effective.

thefedgotme
02-27-12, 12:43 PM
Most people actually file their claims after getting out. Waaaay after getting out. The separation exam is part of what's looked at to decide if a condition is service connected or not, but it's not the only thing. They look at all of your medical records from your time in. They also look at your recent treatment.

Since you're outside of 1 year from your date of separation, you have to show "continuity", which means if it's in your military medical records, then you need to show that the problem still exists. This can be done by seeing a doctor (VA doctor or civilian) now and having the promblems confirmed as still persisting.

You also dont need to have a service connected disability to be seen by a VA doctor. You simply need your DD 214 and then go through the registration process with a VA hospital. Treatment and compensation are 2 separate things handled by different parts of the VA

Sgt Leprechaun
02-27-12, 06:07 PM
Listen to 'Fed....he does this for a living!

Rocky C
02-27-12, 06:38 PM
Most people actually file their claims after getting out. Waaaay after getting out. The separation exam is part of what's looked at to decide if a condition is service connected or not, but it's not the only thing. They look at all of your medical records from your time in. They also look at your recent treatment.

Since you're outside of 1 year from your date of separation, you have to show "continuity", which means if it's in your military medical records, then you need to show that the problem still exists. This can be done by seeing a doctor (VA doctor or civilian) now and having the promblems confirmed as still persisting.

You also dont need to have a service connected disability to be seen by a VA doctor. You simply need your DD 214 and then go through the registration process with a VA hospital. Treatment and compensation are 2 separate things handled by different parts of the VA

Exactley :thumbup:

Subaru
02-28-12, 12:27 AM
ok thanks. Obviously since I'm out now it costs money to see a doctor, so before I actually see one I wanted to make sure it'll be worth at least showing the continuity.