PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever known a reserve platoon to conduct a "disbursed" mission?

civgrunt05
02-25-12, 09:13 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a reserve platoon conducting a disbursed operation at significant distance from parent command? I'm not calling it "distributed operations" because I don't think it applies to what we are doing. I think "disbursed" better describes it because we don't have several other platoons spread throughout - just us and some other non-DOD elements.

Long story short, I'm putting together a resume right now where I am trying to emphasize my leadership and management capabilities by way of listing my reserve service.

I'm basically trying to say, as pompous as it sounds (that's what resumes are about though, right?), that as the platoon sergeant I was instrumental in having my platoon selected to conduct a sustained mission over 1000 miles from parent command and that we are the only reserve platoon to ever be selected for such a mission. The aim is to indicate to potential employers that I know how to run/help run a top notch outfit.

Before making such a claim, I want to ensure that we truly are the only reserve platoon to ever do such a thing. I've been in the reserve a while now and I've never heard of a reserve platoon getting to operate on a real mission at any great distance from parent command. Does anyone know it this is the case?

Thanks

devilbones2
02-26-12, 07:30 AM
Does it make a difference if it was reserves or not?

Zulu 36
02-26-12, 09:09 AM
What kind of platoon?

civgrunt05
02-26-12, 09:16 AM
Does it make a difference if it was reserves or not?

Yes. I'm asking specifically about the reserves because if it reads "helped get plt mission selected for mission over 1000 miles away from parents command" a hiring manager reads that and says "ok, well, whatever." If it reads "helped get plt selected for mission over 1000 miles from parent command -- the only MC Reserve platoon to ever be selected for such a complex mission" then I'm thinking the hiring manager will think, "ok! This guy can help make an organization stand out!"

Before I went throwing something around like that I wanted to make sure that it was a legit claim.

I already know that an active duty platoon has done it.

Thanks

Zulu 36
02-26-12, 09:18 AM
Yes. I'm asking specifically about the reserves because if it reads "helped get plt mission selected for mission over 1000 miles away from parents command" a hiring manager reads that and says "ok, well, whatever." If it reads "helped get plt selected for mission over 1000 miles from parent command -- the only MC Reserve platoon to ever be selected for such a complex mission" then I'm thinking the hiring manager will think, "ok! This guy can help make an organization stand out!"

Before I went throwing something around like that I wanted to make sure that it was a legit claim.

I already know that an active duty platoon has done it.

Thanks

You could always say, "One of few reserve platoons ever selected."

Although I admit, being able to write "The first and only..." is better.

civgrunt05
02-26-12, 04:45 PM
What kind of platoon?

Rifle Platoon REIN with some other MOS essential to being this far away.

thewookie
02-27-12, 02:49 AM
What is the job you are applying for?

advanced
02-27-12, 06:41 AM
You're emphasizing that reserves are inferior to regular Marines, is that what you want. I wouldn't let them know you were a reserve.

civgrunt05
02-27-12, 07:58 AM
You're emphasizing that reserves are inferior to regular Marines, is that what you want. I wouldn't let them know you were a reserve.

That's a legitimate point. I'm not trying to make that distinction, but rather to indicate that out of this particular group we stood out. Perhaps the distinction is more trouble than it's worth and I should just talk about the experience in generalities.

I don't have a problem letting anyone know I'm a reservist. I'm just fine with that fact. Besides, I have to establish that I am a reservist as I list plenty of other experience concurrent to my military service.

Wook:
I'm leaving myself open. I work in accounting and finance, so that's the type of field I'm looking at. This experience isn't directly applicable of course, but I think it helps show some leadership traits.

Radiofantry
02-27-12, 10:07 PM
What was the mission? Maybe we can help you figure out whether it was the first and only time, or something that happens on occasion.

Within the limitations of OPSec, of course, as I don't know how currently we're talking timewise.

civgrunt05
02-27-12, 10:39 PM
What was the mission? Maybe we can help you figure out whether it was the first and only time, or something that happens on occasion.

Within the limitations of OPSec, of course, as I don't know how currently we're talking timewise.

I really shouldn't talk about much of right now. It's nothing anyone will ever want to make a movie about (lol), but it's probably best not to mention anything specific.

Basically it entails security for some other agencies conducting their own agendas in the kind of place you need to have security. That much I think is safe to say.