PDA

View Full Version : SRBs to be replaced with Official Military Personnel Files

Wrench3516
02-10-12, 03:30 PM
:beer:
SRBs to be replaced with Official Military Personnel Files

Story by Lance Cpl. Kyle Runnels (http://www.leatherneck.com/portfolio/1128451)

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER, N.C. - A Service Record Book documents a Marine’s entire career. It is a hard copy of files that has everything needed when Marines report in to a new unit including life insurance and family information.

Marine Corps wide, administrative clerks have started converting the SRB to an online format called an Official Military Personnel File, said Cpl. Quincy L. Alexander, Marine Corps Air Station New River Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron administrative clerk. The OMPF will be accessible to Marines through the Marines Online website.

Service Record Books are going away; it’s going to all be electronic, said Alexander. He said the problem with SRBs is that Marines tend to lose or damage them in transit. They are going to be one less thing Marines will need to keep track of when checking in to new units.

The online files will help in other aspects of Marines lives in addition to checking in. It will also make it easier when Marines go up for boards, said Alexander.

“Instead of having to go to administrative shops, Marines can access all of their information with the click of a mouse,” he added.

The information posted online will be protected and will not be accessible by anyone except that individual Marine unless used for official business or if permission is granted.

The change not only helps individual Marines, but it also greatly helps Marine Corps administrative offices.

If an SRB has errors or needs updating, it could be weeks before the paperwork gets processed and filed. In an OMPF, results are much faster because it skips the hard copy.

Once OMPFs are operational and showing stability, SRBs will be returned to their owners. They will be distributed to their respective units where they will be passed out to the proper Marine.

“A smart Marine will print out hard copies of everything online and keep their SRB up to date,” Alexander said.

While transferring an individual SRB to an OMFP only takes a matter of minutes, the overall process is time consuming.

The air station’s Installation Personnel Administration Center is now changing more than 7,000 records. The transfer should be completed by the end of January or early February, said Alexander.

For more information on SRBs or the transition to OMPFs contact the station IPAC.
http://www.dvidshub.net/news/82704/srbs-replaced-with-official-military-personnel-files

Apache
02-10-12, 06:57 PM
Did you copy "a smart Marine will make his own copies" ?
Sounds like the originators do not have total trust in the new system or in the newfangled computers ----

TMM54
02-10-12, 07:52 PM
Great post Apache. Got to have copies of everything for yourself. I trusted that my health records would have everything in them, but years later I have found to my great detriment that the Navy record keepers at Camp Lejeune were not so good at making sure that all of the records of my treatment found their way into my health records.

And that will cost you dollars after you retire or leave active duty when you go to get VA health care. No documents, it did not exist.

Keep copies of everything.

Semper Fi, Tom

Rich1161
02-10-12, 11:01 PM
Hackers will love this!

Apache
02-11-12, 06:56 AM
Yep !
Story from the past
My shot record turned up MIA

Don't recall weather I was stateside or not----

HAD TO GET EVERY SHOT REQUIRED ALL OVER AGIAN !

Not a happy camper !

IHaveEGA843
02-15-12, 12:10 PM
Might work out for the best.

This past week while getting our new order, a lot of Marines lost their jobs since the paper work wasn't in their SRB. One Marine from my plt went from Avaition or Landing Support.

Seems like the admin sector misplaces a lot of things that mess people over in the long run. Maybe have it stored on a cpu will resolve or just possibly make it worse.

MunkyVsRobot
02-15-12, 08:03 PM
well what would be good is you dont have to rely on the Marine to keep track of it either. I leave for MCT on monday Id rather not fly with the stupid thing what if I forget it in the terminal? Im effed in the A if I do that.

Also like some of the previous Marines said it would help speed up the paperwork a lot too.