PDA

View Full Version : prior service enlistment question

wayne1111
02-04-12, 04:40 PM
I served in the infantry from 97-01, got out as a Cpl and was a Fire team leader and qualified Marksmanship Instructor. My reenlistment code was 1a. I am hoping that my additional year and a half in a reserve unit will keep my age of 33 from preventing reentry, which I believe is the best decision that I can make for my life.

I didn't exactly squander the time that I've had in the civlian life, as I recently earned a BS, but frankly believe that the structure that the Corps provided helped me maintain direction in my life. I also have no doubt that I have something to contribute as well.

That being said, I have some detractors that I worry could interfere with getting back in that are of a personal nature, and need to discuss them with someone really in the know without spelling out my life history on the internet. I have left messages very recently for some recruiters, but I want to be as prepared as possible in regards to knowing what challenges I may face to get back in and back on track before I talk to them.

thewookie
02-04-12, 04:45 PM
I served in the infantry from 97-01, got out as a Cpl and was a Fire team leader and qualified Marksmanship Instructor. My reenlistment code was 1a. I am hoping that my additional year and a half in a reserve unit will keep my age of 33 from preventing reentry, which I believe is the best decision that I can make for my life.

I didn't exactly squander the time that I've had in the civlian life, as I recently earned a BS, but frankly believe that the structure that the Corps provided helped me maintain direction in my life. I also have no doubt that I have something to contribute as well.

That being said, I have some detractors that I worry could interfere with getting back in that are of a personal nature, and need to discuss them with someone really in the know without spelling out my life history on the internet. I have left messages very recently for some recruiters, but I want to be as prepared as possible in regards to knowing what challenges I may face to get back in and back on track before I talk to them.

Welcome and thanks for your service.

You need to add a little more to your profile. Basically what you have written here in addition to what you have put already.

That being said, I think there are a few PSR's here that can help you. Hopefully they'll see the thread title and find you.

You could also try to ping one of the active Marine recruiters -- afraizaa. He might be able to help and bridge the gap.

Good luck.

wayne1111
02-04-12, 04:50 PM
Welcome and thanks for your service.

You need to add a little more to your profile. Basically what you have written here in addition to what you have put already.

That being said, I think there are a few PSR's here that can help you. Hopefully they'll see the thread title and find you.

You could also try to ping one of the active Marine recruiters -- afraizaa. And he might be able to bridge the gap and help.

Good luck.

Thanks, and I'll be updating the rest of the info presently.

thewookie
02-04-12, 04:52 PM
Thanks, and I'll be updating the rest of the info presently.

You got it, thank you and good luck. :usmc:

wayne1111
02-04-12, 05:04 PM
You got it, thank you and good luck. :usmc:

I'm a bit unclear on the Operation question. I was in Desert Fox around Christmas of 99, but all we did was sit in our fighting holes for most of the time except for a few patrols while the planes did all the work. The only exception was a fairly serious incident when I was on watch, but I haven't been around here long enough to even think about talking about it with what I consider to be true combat veterans around. It meant something to me but in my book is relatively insignificant and not well documented to the best of my knowledge.