PDA

View Full Version : Guest of Honor/oldest/youngest Marine here

greybeard
11-09-03, 04:35 PM
I'll be one the road tomorrow, so I'll wish all a Happy Marine Corps Birthday a little early.
And Ill throw this out to all 9800+ members.

Who gets the 1st pieces of cake?

Who will be the Guest of Honor here?
Who is the Oldest Marine here?(it ain't me) :)
Who is the Youngest Marine here? (dang sure isn't me)

If you are over 55 or younger than 21-sound off!!
:marine:

Semper FI!!!!!!

cjdoyle
11-09-03, 04:44 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL

I know I am not the oldest or youngest .
but over here at the third TSB ball we had the Sargent Major of The Marine Corps, Sgt Maj Estrada as our guest of honor, it was a realy good time.
semper fi

thedrifter
11-09-03, 05:24 PM
Happy Birthday Marines.....Leatherneck.com Wishes All Marines a Happy 228th Birthday

A Toast to All.........

Semper Fi

Roger

Turn Up Your Sound.....
Now Playing:
Navy Marine Corps News - Nov 8, 2003
Marine Corps Birthday Message

http://www.news.navy.mil/management/videodb/player/video.aspx?ID=1407

http://militarynews.com/globe/Web%20Art/birthday-art-small.jpg

USMC-FO
11-09-03, 05:38 PM
Certainly older than 55 and, well, 21 was a LONG time back! Nonetheless happy to be among you all for our 228th ! No finer group of folks as I see it.

Tomorrow I'll be at a Vets day event at one of our local schools then off to Boston to enjoy a great luncheon with a couple of thousand other MARINES--Thank you Lock-and -Load !! For the last several years I took my 10 year old son to DC and the events at our Memorial and to spend time at the Wall with my companions. But I am looking forward to tomorrow with great anticipation too.

Semper fi and Happy birthday !!

Hooch
11-09-03, 06:14 PM
Happy Birthday to all fellow Marines ......Toast !!!

Hooch

RoboRobinson17
11-09-03, 07:19 PM
I'm only 20, but not the youngest by far. I was in the Cake Detail last night, and it was pretty motivating. It was a good time all around. Once again, Happy Birthday Marines, and be safe.

Semper Fi,

Joe

foxman
11-09-03, 08:17 PM
Happy Birthday Brothers and Sisters. Tomorrow marks the 228th Birthday of The Finest Fighting Force in The History of The World and we were or are a part of it. Memories are a Gift from God that Death can not destroy. Knowing what The Marine Corp was and Still is makes EVERYONE respect us. They may not like us but By God they respect us. Thanks for being my Brothers and Sisters. Foxman

Sixguns
11-09-03, 08:20 PM
I know that I will not qualify to be the oldest or youngest Marine seeing as I'm 38. I will gladly serve as narrator though!! LOL. In case I do not chat with you all tomorrow, Happy Birthday Marines!!! I will be attending a local birthday celebration on the evening of the 10th. It will be the first time in twenty years that I won't be in uniform. Probably enjoy it more. It's hard to get loose in Dress Blues!!! LOL

SF,

SIXGUNS

Doc Crow
11-10-03, 01:21 AM
I am probably the only Squid here just as long as I get a piece of cake I am happy

thedrifter
11-10-03, 05:29 AM
A proud symbol, a proud tradition
November 10,2003

It's an image that's burned into the fabric of this country, as American as the Stars and Stripes, as enduring as the Bill of Rights: a flag and six men - five U.S. Marines and a U.S. Navy corpsman - atop Mt. Suribachi punctuating one of World War II's bloodiest Pacific battles.

The Pulitzer Prize winning photograph, taken by news photographer Joe Rosenthal, depicts the six men planting the large flag on Iwo Jima. One Marine in front crouches as he helps anchor the base of the flag into the earth. The others, lined up behind him, reach out, supporting the flag and one another, their muscles straining through the fabric of their uniforms. At the rear one Marine has loosened his grasp of the pole as it angles to the sky.

Above all, is the flag, Old Glory, partially unfurled, preparing to fly over a tiny island where so many died.

The Rosenthal photograph struck a chord with the American people. It spoke of the shadow of war and death and the pride the people back home felt when they saw the flag - their flag - flying in the South Pacific on Japanese territory, not far from the coast of Japan.

The Rosenthal photograph didn't depict the original flag-raising on Suribachi. It was the second flag raised that day on Iwo Jima, a battle that has gone down in Marine Corps history as the most costly in terms of lost lives.

It started on Feb. 19, 1945, on a sliver of an island about 650 miles from Tokyo. Following a bombardment that was largely ineffective due to the Japanese strategy of deploying underground in a stronghold built to honeycomb the island, the 4th and 5th Marine divisions invaded Iwo Jima.

The fighting was fierce and often compared to a "meat grinder." With the Japanese positioned in their underground bunkers, the enemy was nearly impossible to rout. The Japanese, whom history says had taken an oath to fight to the last man, were able to wreak a terrible toll on the invading Marines.

Marines assaulting the beaches went down in waves, while others on the 7.5 mile stretch of land found themselves constantly in the crosshairs of Japanese rifles. Finally, the 28th Regiment of the 5th Division was given the responsibility of taking Mt. Suribachi, an extinct volcano that rises 550 feet above the island. According to official Marine Corps records, the 28th reached the base of the mountain by the afternoon of Feb. 21. By nightfall of the next day, they had the mountain surrounded. The Marines of E Company, 2nd Battalion, started climbing Suribachi on Feb. 23, reaching the summit and planting a small American flag at about 10:30 that morning.

Later that day, a second group made their way up to the summit and supplanted the original smaller flag with the larger one captured in Rosenthal's famous picture.

Legend has it that the larger flag went up so more could see it. It was meant to be a rallying point for the troops. Instead, thanks to Rosenthal's photograph, it became a rallying point for the American public.

Controversy about the second flag-raising surrounded the photograph and the men in that picture. A total of 11 men took part in the two flag-raisings. Of those, five died on Iwo Jima, including three of the six in Rosenthal's famous photograph.

The men who raised that second flag seemed to always carry the guilt of what they believed was false fame. They expressed many times that the real heroes were the men who died or were wounded in taking Iwo Jima. Of the approximately 20,000 Marines who perished during World War II, nearly 5,500 were killed as a result of the battle to take Iwo Jima.

Capt. Dave Serverance, commander of E Company, was later quoted as saying that of the 310 men in the company, seven of whom were officers, only 50 returned from Iwo Jima. Severance was the only officer to survive.

The Rosenthal photograph of E Company's raising of the flag eventually became a statue honoring Marines everywhere, as well as a memorial to their many sacrifices. The world's tallest bronze statue, the figures of the men in the Marine Corps Memorial, stands an amazing 32-feet tall.

The struggle to take Iwo Jima occurred 58 years ago. Most who participated have passed into history. Now it's Marines from Camp Lejeune and Marine Corps Air Station, New River, that carry the torch that's been handed down from one generation of Leathernecks to another since 1775: "to secure the blessings of liberty for ourselves and our posterity."

On the occasion of the Marine Corps' 228th Birthday, contemporary Marines keep the circle of unflinching service to their country and fellow Americans unbroken. It's a devotion to duty that's distinguished the Marine Corps throughout its history.

Today's Marines continue to serve this great nation whenever and wherever needed, giving life and meaning to the words engraved under the towering bronze figures of the Marine Corps' Memorial: "Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue."

Happy Birthday, Marines!

http://www.thegreetings.com/images/cards/events/nov/USMCBirthday/USMCBirthday1.big.gif

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Lock-n-Load
11-10-03, 06:02 AM
:marine: You're welcome, Marine, it was my pleasure for you to chowdown at our table [later this noon]...the Semper Fidelis Society of Boston gets larger each year...in summation, I know all the Marines who take the initiative to attend a 228th celebration of our Marine Corps will be enriched all the more...Happy 228th Birthday, Marines and lest we forget...the Fleet Marine Force...afloat...in all the seven seas 24/7...the tip of the javelin [ever/ready]. Give 'em hell, Marines!! S/F:marine:

jfreas
11-10-03, 06:13 AM
At 65 I doubt that I too am the oldest. A HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL MY MARINE BROTHERS. "Doc" your as much a Marine as any of us and I think all would agree. Maybe we are the "Extreemists" but by God we deserve to be. We hold high the pride of being an American and defending it. God Bless all of you and your Families. Semper Fi.

richgitz
11-10-03, 07:00 AM
I know I'm not the Oldest Jarhead or the Youngest, but by God
I am a Marine and Proud of it. As for Doc, you are a part of us,
and we are proud of all Corpman who have served with us. My
glass will be raised to all Marines everwhere, Living or Dead.
SEMPER-FI

thedrifter
11-10-03, 07:02 AM
"Semper Fi"

Unknown Author

These words are known by every United States Marine...
They are sacred...
These words represent more than mere philosopy...
They speak of a way of life...
"Semper Fidelis!"...
"Always Faithful"...
To God, Country, and Corps...
To a brotherhood...
To responsibilities and obligations willingly assumed...
To fight,win, and die if necessary...
But never to hide, run, retreat, or fail...
No excuses...
To stand bravely and act honorably...
To do more than is required or exspected...
To take care of one's own...
To place self in harm's way in order to save another...
To die before dishonoring the flag, or the Corps...
To follow orders...
To show respect to all, officers and enlisted alike...

"Semper Fidelis!" is all this, and more...
"Semper Fidelis!" is...
Chesty Puller, Raymond Davis, and Manila John Basilone...
KIA...MIA...POW...
Name, Rank, and Service Number...
Code of Conduct...Belleau Wood...
Confidence Cource...Sea Duty...
Morning Colors...Navy Cross...
NCOIC...Bearing...MEU...Mameluke...
10 November 1775... Eagle, Globe & Anchor...
The United Staes marine Corps has preached it for 224 yrs...
It speaks of undying loyality...
It is the very essence of Patriotism...
It is cut from the same cloth as Valor and Honor...
Marines on there death bed have wispered it...
It has been shouted above the deafening roar of Combat...
It has been found scrawled on the walls of
enemy prison camps...
In the name Devildog, LeatherNeck & Jarhead...
It is proudly displayed on the Marine Corps battle flag...
It is written in blood on the fabric of our nation's flag,
and on every page of her history as the "Land of the Free"...
This is what "SEMPER FIDELIS" means to the men that have earned the title,
UNITED STATES MARINE...

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
11-10-03, 08:49 AM
Just a Reminder....We have e-cards....

If you want to wish your fellow Marines a Happy Birthday....Just go to the link......

Happy Birthday Marines....

http://www.leatherneck.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=514&thumb=1

He Is A Marine

When America was nothing but a Patriot's dream,
They called for the best, for America's cream.
In the heat of battle, they forged the Corps,
That protects our homes, and guards our shores.
Though years have passed, and our country's grown
They are still the best, America's own.
With courage and strength, in battles far and wide,
They fought with courage, and served with pride.
Now we send a Marine, to rest by their side
He lived and guarded , the American dream,
And he gave his all,
He is: A Marine.

The rifle's echoes, are fading away
Taps has sounded, the end of his day,
The flag is folded, and passed to his wife,
We mourn his passing, and remember his life.
One of the few, one of America's best,
One of the proud, he stood up to the test.
He's never forgotten, he's never alone,
The Corps will always, care for its' own.
He stood so strong, on him we could lean,
And he gave his all,
He is: A Marine.

Al Gamel 1997

Sempers,

Roger