PDA

View Full Version : PLC, ROTC, OCS, Etc..

calebbo
02-01-12, 11:10 PM
Hi my name is Caleb. I'm a senior in high school and have decided to join the Marines. I am taking my ASVAB next week at the Memphis, TN MEPS center. And after I'm done with that I already have a locked in date to go to Boot Camp. I graduate May 18th and I ship to Parris Island on the 21. Now, enough background.

I am going into the Reserve in order to go to school first. So far this is what I understand, 3 months Basic, 1 month Combat, and 1-2 month(s) Technical for my MOS. Then I come back to my state and I can go to school, work 1 weekend a month, and 2 weeks in the summer. I will be going to school for an Aerospace Engineering degree at Mississippi State University as I have already been accepted into their engineering school for the fall semester of 2012. Since, I basically have 6 months of training I will be missing the first semester of college and will start attending school in the Spring semester. Now I aspire to be a pilot (MOS/Title: 7521 preferably) but I just want to fly period. In order to be an officer I understand there are a few options: Platoon Leadership Course (PLC), Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC), and Officer Candidate School (OCS). Since I will be enlisted Reserve I need to pick a MOS. There are so many options I have no clue which would be a good starting block towards my long term goals. I plan on getting into PLC during college and maybe even the ROTC program (only air force and army are available at MSU though). Am I on the right track or do you veterans know something I don't?

Basically:
What MOS as an enlisted should I choose based on the fact that I want to fly?

If I do PLC can I do ROTC? If so which should I choose (AF or Army?)

If I do both of those programs do still need to go through OCS and The Basic School (TBS?)

Thanks Marines, hopefully I filled out my profile enough to get some answers. If not I meant no disrespect and I will fill out more if I need to.

Also:
I have a competitive GPA: 3.7
and ACT score: 27
I have not taken the ASVAB but I see myself in between the 80-90 range.
I don't really have a weak subject on the ASVAB except maybe mechanical but even that is high 70 range on the ASVAB practice test.

And no I am not going into the Marines just to get the benefits. I also know that it won't be easy to become a respected member of the Marines like you. (My grandfather was a lifer 30 years) But I need my education. I plan on going full time military as soon as I'm out and put in at least 20 years.

Lisa 23
02-02-12, 07:56 AM
And there's nothing basic about Marine Corps boot camp.

Marine Officer
http://officer.marines.com/marine/global/faq

Marine Corps Officer Job Descriptions

Main Menu
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerj3/a/officerjobsmenu.htm

FoxtrotOscar
02-02-12, 09:46 AM
(My grandfather was a lifer 30 years) But I need my education. I plan on going full time military as soon as I'm out and put in at least 20 years.

"Lifer" ... "But I need my Education"... think about your choice of words...

SGT7477
02-02-12, 09:55 AM
Hi my name is Caleb. I'm a senior in high school and have decided to join the Marines. I am taking my ASVAB next week at the Memphis, TN MEPS center. And after I'm done with that I already have a locked in date to go to Boot Camp. I graduate May 18th and I ship to Parris Island on the 21. Now, enough background.

I am going into the Reserve in order to go to school first. So far this is what I understand, 3 months Basic, 1 month Combat, and 1-2 month(s) Technical for my MOS. Then I come back to my state and I can go to school, work 1 weekend a month, and 2 weeks in the summer. I will be going to school for an Aerospace Engineering degree at Mississippi State University as I have already been accepted into their engineering school for the fall semester of 2012. Since, I basically have 6 months of training I will be missing the first semester of college and will start attending school in the Spring semester. Now I aspire to be a pilot (MOS/Title: 7521 preferably) but I just want to fly period. In order to be an officer I understand there are a few options: Platoon Leadership Course (PLC), Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC), and Officer Candidate School (OCS). Since I will be enlisted Reserve I need to pick a MOS. There are so many options I have no clue which would be a good starting block towards my long term goals. I plan on getting into PLC during college and maybe even the ROTC program (only air force and army are available at MSU though). Am I on the right track or do you veterans know something I don't?

Basically:
What MOS as an enlisted should I choose based on the fact that I want to fly?

If I do PLC can I do ROTC? If so which should I choose (AF or Army?)

If I do both of those programs do still need to go through OCS and The Basic School (TBS?)

Thanks Marines, hopefully I filled out my profile enough to get some answers. If not I meant no disrespect and I will fill out more if I need to.

Also:
I have a competitive GPA: 3.7
and ACT score: 27
I have not taken the ASVAB but I see myself in between the 80-90 range.
I don't really have a weak subject on the ASVAB except maybe mechanical but even that is high 70 range on the ASVAB practice test.

And no I am not going into the Marines just to get the benefits. I also know that it won't be easy to become a respected member of the Marines like you. (My grandfather was a lifer 30 years) But I need my education. I plan on going full time military as soon as I'm out and put in at least 20 years.
Ahh air force or army on a Marine site is like swearing,Semper Fidelis.:evilgrin:

m14ed
02-02-12, 10:35 AM
do a little reading and searching before you start asking blanket questions......................................... ...........................
What makes you think we want to do your searching for you ?????
IT's worth more if you have to work for it...........................................
Give it a try ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,let us know where you need help.........

03Mike
02-02-12, 01:23 PM
Caleb – despite those very helpful responses above, I wanted to chime in and offer a little perspective.

First, regarding your reserve MOS – you MOS choices will be limited by the reserve unit you intend to join (you can’t be an MOS that isn’t needed at that unit. So first, figure out which reserve unit you will join, and then look at MOSs. The reserve unit on Jackson Avenue there in Memphis is (or at least was) are rifle company – so primarily you would be looking at infantry MOSs.

Second, your reserve / enlisted MOS will have zero bearing on your acceptance to an officer candidate program, and even less bearing on your eventual MOS as an officer.

Your best bet for becoming a Naval Aviator within the Marine Corps would probably be to pursue a PLC (Air) contract. PLC offers a couple of specified tracks – ground, aviation, or law. These contracts guarantee that IF you meet all qualifications, are offered a commission and accept it, that you will be guaranteed an MOS within one of those three areas – and the PLC (Air) contract is basically saying that if you meet all requirements, you will receive a slot a flight school. Now, that’s a lot of “ifs”, but it is doable.

Marine PLC is completely separate form Army or Air Force ROTC – so if your goal is to be a Marine pilot (Naval Aviator) then forget about ROTC at MSU. PLC is probably your best ticket to OCS.

As far as TBS – EVERY Marine officer goes through TBS. There is no way around it.

The best thing to do to increase your odds of success at receiving a commission is to:

1. Get it top physical shape. Boot camp shape is a start, but not the end goal.
2. Get good grades – it is becoming very competitive to earn a slot at OCS, so grades are important.
3. Stay out of trouble – any run in with the law will be an issue, and a DUI or drug incident is an immediate disqualifier.
4. Learn the physical requirements – lots of PLC(Air) candidates end up being designated NPQ (Not Physically Qualified) and lose their flight school guarantees.

Hope that helps.

calebbo
02-03-12, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys for all your input. I have done some research and I know it seems like I placed all the work on you guys but I was just typing as I was thinking. From what I understand, based on the usmilitary.about website (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marinetrng/a/marineplc.htm) it says that PLC is an alternative for NROTC and OCS. Does this means during college I will be at OCS in Quantico but doing the PLC program? (two 6 week programs or one 10 week depending on when I get in) And whether I go PLC, ROTC, or OCS am a commissioned officer and my first duty is to go to TBS afterwards correct? I am asking you guys first since I cannot ask my recruiter at the moment because he is stuck at MEPS. I sign my contract tomorrow also!

calebbo
02-03-12, 11:12 AM
sorry I've had a misunderstanding. There are 3 ways to become commissioned: NROTC, PLC, and OCC (not OCS). Everybody who gets commissioned must go through OCS and TBS after one of the three initial programs correct?

Zulu 36
02-03-12, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys for all your input. I have done some research and I know it seems like I placed all the work on you guys but I was just typing as I was thinking. From what I understand, based on the usmilitary.about website (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marinetrng/a/marineplc.htm) it says that PLC is an alternative for NROTC and OCS. Does this means during college I will be at OCS in Quantico but doing the PLC program? (two 6 week programs or one 10 week depending on when I get in) And whether I go PLC, ROTC, or OCS am a commissioned officer and my first duty is to go to TBS afterwards correct? I am asking you guys first since I cannot ask my recruiter at the moment because he is stuck at MEPS. I sign my contract tomorrow also!

After you are commissioned (regardless of how you are commissioned), your FIRST stop afterward will be TBS. Your MOS school will be after that, whatever it might be.

You will not be commissioned until you complete PLC and have obtained your degree, same thing with ROTC. With PLC and ROTC, if you have completed all requirements, you can be commissioned on the day you graduate from college.

Zulu 36
02-03-12, 11:32 AM
sorry I've had a misunderstanding. There are 3 ways to become commissioned: NROTC, PLC, and OCC (not OCS). Everybody who gets commissioned must go through OCS and TBS after one of the three initial programs correct?

OCC (officer candidate course) is the current correct name for OCS (officer candidate school). A lot of old timers still call it OCS. Other than the name change, it's exactly the same thing.

For ROTC and PLC, you will attend OCC in two six-week increments over your summer breaks before junior and senior years. If you wait until after you graduate, then OCC is a ten-week block. Then everyone goes to TBS (including Naval Academy grads) after commissioning. You go to TBS as a 2d Lieutenant.

There are four entry-level methods of commissioning: Naval Academy, ROTC, PLC, and OCC.

calebbo
02-03-12, 11:36 AM
I had an idea of where to start but was confused where that road lead, thanks for interpreting. So my main goal right now is to get through Basic and all other training.

03Mike
02-03-12, 12:20 PM
All Marine officer candidates go through some form of program at Marine Officer Candidate School (OCS), regardless of their commisioning program.

Marine OCS is located aboard the Marine Corps Base, Quantico, Virginia.

The two most common officer candidate programs are PLC (Platoon Leaders Course) and OCC (Officer Candidate Course).

PLC is intenended for individuals who are college students. It offers two programs: PLC Junior & Senior and PLC Combined.

- PLC Jr./Sr. consists of two 6 week sessions. Ideally, a candidate will attend the PLC Jr. session in the summer between their sophmore and junior years in college. Then the would attend the senior session in the summer between their junior and senior years in college. Assuming that they complete all requirements, they will be offered a commission upon graduation from college.

- PLC Combined is generally a 10 week course designed specifically for those candidates who sign up during their junior year in college and is run in the summer between their junior and senior years.

PLC generally does not require any formal participation during the school year, although it is not uncommon for the OSO (Officer Selection Office) to run organized PT sessions. However, it is expected that officer candidates in the PLC program to PT on their own.

OCC is intended for candidates who have already earned their college degree. OCC is generally a 10 week course as well, and assuming that the candidate successfully completes OCC and meets all other requirements, they will be commissioned upon completion of OCC.

NROTC is available only at a limited number of colleges. Midshipmen who select the "Marine Option" will be in a track to commission in the Marine Corps. NROTC involves participation in on-campus programs such as military science courses / labs, PT sessions, and Field Training Exercises (FTX). Midshipment under the Marine Option will, at some point, particpate in a "Bulldog" program at Marine OCS, but it is shorter/different from the PLC program sessions, since much of the materials from PLC are covered during ROTC.

One other note: OCS (regardless of the program) is designed not to train officer candidates, but instead is intended to screen and evaluate their potential to lead, and to become leaders of Marines. As a result, it is very competitive. No one who is accepted into any OCS program is guaranteed a commission -- especially in the PLC and OCC program. Completion of OCS does not make one a Marine. If one completes OCS and is not commissioned, they have no claim to any title.

Clear things up?

calebbo
02-03-12, 12:38 PM
Crystal clear, thanks.

calebbo
02-15-12, 09:21 PM
Well Marines I went to MEPS and took the ASVAB, got my physical, and was cleared. I signed my 8 year contract and swore in the same day. ASVAB score of 94! Ship date to Parris Island: May 21st! 3 days after I graduate.