PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a specific degree to be a pilot?

AlohaMarine
01-30-12, 01:02 PM
Just wondering if it makes any difference if my college degree is in basket weaving or aeronautical engineering.

I ask because I knew an artillery officer who's degree was aeronautical engineering, so I don't think its very "Hey Lieutenant, you know physics. You're a pilot" but does it mean they will let a history major fly if you meet all the other requirements?

Harlee
01-30-12, 01:41 PM
You do not need a specific degree for the flight program, having a strong math and science background certainly won't hurt you in flight school though.

SlingerDun
01-30-12, 04:03 PM
All a decent pilot needs is a certain degree of sobriety and a fix on common sense. General

MOS4429
01-30-12, 04:24 PM
Just wondering if it makes any difference if my college degree is in basket weaving or aeronautical engineering.

I ask because I knew an artillery officer who's degree was aeronautical engineering, so I don't think its very "Hey Lieutenant, you know physics. You're a pilot" but does it mean they will let a history major fly if you meet all the other requirements?

You should major in basket weaving. Then weave a big basket, fill up a balloon with all that O-10 hot air, and drift on up and outta here.

ggyoung
01-30-12, 05:36 PM
In WW2 most German and Jap polets were enlisted

Marine84
01-30-12, 06:10 PM
You should major in basket weaving. Then weave a big basket, fill up a balloon with all that O-10 hot air, and drift on up and outta here.

That's funny as hell! Sorry Matt :)

AlohaMarine
02-02-12, 08:46 AM
Its fine Kim, haha.

MOS4429
02-02-12, 12:12 PM
Its fine Kim, haha.

Hey, thanks for having a sense of humor!! :)

Been seeing a lot of thin skin on this site lately.

Conch
02-02-12, 12:31 PM

Since I'm a Winger, here's my advice:

It doesn't really matter what degree you have to be a pilot. However, that being said, pilots are looked on more favorably if their degree is geared toward one of the sciences or science related fields. Most pilots I have known generally have had degrees in Physics, Math, some kind of Engineering (usually Aeronautical, Mechanical, or Electrical), or some other field. I even have met one that had an Astronomy degree and another with a Geography degree amd they were pilots. There is a lot of Math usually involved in flying so those kind of degrees definitely help.

I don't know though, I often wonder sometimes how far one could advance career-wise with a degree in basket weaving :marine:

Phantom Blooper
02-03-12, 04:17 PM
I don't know though, I often wonder sometimes how far one could advance career-wise with a degree in basket weaving :marine:

It pretty much depends on whether or not the basket has a silver lining.

TL Cunningham
02-04-12, 03:53 PM
All a decent pilot needs is a certain degree of sobriety and a fix on common sense. General

That is actually untrue. Most pilots fly drunk/hungover all the time.

Popsicle
02-04-12, 05:08 PM
Taking this question back to a bit more serious side..... <br />
<br />
Getting a pilot slot and then making it through flight school has always been a highly competative process but it has become even more so...