PDA

View Full Version : The DI...on TCM tonite

ameriken
01-29-12, 06:11 PM
Just saw this on the DISH guide and thought I'd pass it around. The DI with Jack Webb is on in less than an hour, 8 pm Eastern on TCM.

Got my DVR set to record.

Rocky C
01-29-12, 06:13 PM
Just saw this on the DISH guide and thought I'd pass it around. The DI with Jack Webb is on in less than an hour, 8 pm Eastern on TCM.

Got my DVR set to record.

Thanks Ken :thumbup:

SGT7477
01-29-12, 06:51 PM
Got to watch,Semper Fidelis.

FoxtrotOscar
01-29-12, 08:59 PM
I watched it also, and for the first time realized that when Jact Webb was wearing his blues his cover was blue with the red striping.. I never noticied that before..

But some of you older salts will already know that I'm betting..

m14ed
01-30-12, 03:26 AM
They showed that flick to us while in Boot, On the Island, in one of the base/recruit
gymnasiums while we sat on our ass on a clean wooden deck....
NO POPCORN either,,,,

Captain Kirk
01-30-12, 05:59 AM
Just watched it again. Have not seen it for a long time. Great movie.

advanced
01-30-12, 06:18 AM
They showed that flick to us while in Boot, On the Island, in one of the base/recruit
NO POPCORN either,,,,

Same same

Marine1955
01-30-12, 01:13 PM
Watch it last night and it was good,they also used real Marines to make this movie too.
check out the uniform from then to now.
Back then you had to wear your dress uniform to go on liberty no matter where you went..
Plus you had to have a liberty card to go also..
Not like anymore is it..

ChuckH
01-30-12, 01:58 PM
One of the recruits in the film.. Gordon Sieple (sp) was my Staff Sgt in Nam.
Just checked IMDB and show enuff he is listed... <table class="cast"><tbody><tr class="odd"><td class="nm">Gordon L. Seiple (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1407890/)</td><td class="ddd"> ... </td><td class="char">Pvt. Carver</td></tr></tbody></table>

advanced
01-30-12, 02:16 PM
During the filming of our short scene--which seemed to take forever to an 18 year old--Webb was very conscientious about getting things (Marine things) right and he did a good job with one exception--that scene where a recruit was wearing sunglasses. Never happen for a host of reasons.

The only film I've seen since that is the equal of the DI is the first half of Full Metal Jacket and that part is superior only because of the foul language. When the DI was made, cursing wasn't allowed on screen."""
================================================== =============================

The sunglasses scene at SD, yeah they messed up, how in the world could they take the sunglasses from all of the recruits and miss just that one recruit.

I agree with your reference to Full Metal Jacket with the Gunny being very realistic. The biggest difference to my PI platoon was that we had 5 DI's just like the Gunny.

So now we all know that your a Movie Star as well Dave, with all your other accomplishments.

GySgtRet
01-30-12, 02:18 PM
I just happened to be surfing the channels and there it was. This is the second time that I have seen this movie, the first time was the night before I left for Paris Island. I noticed the Blues Barracksd Cover too. Damn good movie. The guy that runs the TCM narration is Robert Osborne a former Marine also he commented on Jack Webb afterwards last night that Ann was Jack's wife and acted in Dragnet episodes.

Semper Fi
Gunny out
:usmc:

silverdollar
01-31-12, 06:50 AM
I watched it for the first time and I thought that it was pretty good. the squad bay and rifle racks and wash racks were the same as we had at PI in 2ed bn in 1954. I lived on 2ed deck of the wooden barracks.

GT6238
02-01-12, 05:23 PM
NO POPCORN either,,,,

I remember that....

ridingcrops
02-02-12, 03:57 PM
One of my favorite movies and Jack Webb really did seem like a real Drill Instructor. Never heard of it till one of the guys in my platoon said he wanted to talk to the DI. The Drill Instrutor choked him out and informed all of us that Jack Webb was the DI, He was a Drill Instructor.