PDA

View Full Version : Life After the Corps

SBYates
01-27-12, 12:23 AM
Just making a post to get some of you "Old Guys" knowlege. I been thinking about getting out of the Marine Corps after this enlistment. It would put me at 9 years and 15 days when I EAS. I am either interested in pursing a degree in what I do in the Marine Corps, which would be a Meteorogy degree, but I would have to wait to get out to get a degree that meant something. And I am not to sure how well I would do with a bunch of 18 to years old when I am 29 after 9 years in this gun club. On the other hand I have always been interested in Law Enforcement. And, I can get into that without a degree, which it does help to have one. Just curious if any of y'all of do any Law Enforcement work and how did you like it.

Yut
Sgt Yates

SlingerDun
01-27-12, 01:03 AM
Yates there's like a thousand and sixteen cops on this site.
When you say dealing with a bunch of 18 year olds, are you talking about college kids? If so it aint no big deal

SBYates
01-27-12, 01:20 AM
Yates there's like a thousand and sixteen cops on this site.
When you say dealing with a bunch of 18 year olds, are you talking about college kids? If so it aint no big deal

You know I really hope that is true and it wouldn't be a big of a deal. I really hope some of those cops post on here. Thanks.

Zulu 36
01-27-12, 06:39 AM
You know I really hope that is true and it wouldn't be a big of a deal. I really hope some of those cops post on here. Thanks.

What do you need to know?

Not all police departments are the same in hiring practices. Some will accept a HS education, others require an associates degree, some a bachelor's degree (not necessarily in criminal justice). Many require that you have already attended a police academy (at your own expense).

Some departments that accept HS for entry level may require college degrees for promotion. Others aren't that fussy.

It also depends on the level of LE you're looking at. If you're thinking FBI, DEA, ATF, etc, you will need a bachelor's degree minimum, preferably in computers or accounting (but they'll accept almost anything). Law degrees are also helpful at this level.

Shoot your questions here or PM me and I'll be happy to help or refer you to someone who does know.

MOS4429
01-27-12, 11:13 AM
Just making a post to get some of you "Old Guys" knowlege. I been thinking about getting out of the Marine Corps after this enlistment. It would put me at 9 years and 15 days when I EAS. I am either interested in pursing a degree in what I do in the Marine Corps, which would be a Meteorogy degree, but I would have to wait to get out to get a degree that meant something. And I am not to sure how well I would do with a bunch of 18 to years old when I am 29 after 9 years in this gun club. On the other hand I have always been interested in Law Enforcement. And, I can get into that without a degree, which it does help to have one. Just curious if any of y'all of do any Law Enforcement work and how did you like it.

Yut
Sgt Yates

Sgt Yates, I got out of the Marine Corps a couple months after you were born, so I am not positive if separations is the same today or not. I did 9 years and got out, but not because I was tired of the Corps, thought it sucked, or anything of that nature. When I re-enlisted for 6 years, 2 years spent in college, 4 years working in the MOS I went to college for, it had pretty much always been my plan to get out and go to work in the same field. I hadn't closed the door to staying in, had made rank fairly quickly, was at the top of the gunny list when I got out, but other factors come into play, too, such as health issues, family, and so, it was just time.

Oftentimes when Marines get out, that have his perception about how life will be on the outside. They frequently get down on the Corps and have a grandiose view of civilian life. Life in the Marine Corps in '87 was clearly understood. We live in a rank structure, understand authority, how to exercise it, and how to remain under it. It is fairly cut and dry. I worked with Marines from O-6 down on a daily basis. That structure is a very good thing! I enjoyed the Marine Corps and do not regret a day I was in. When you get out, in the civilian world, that clearly delineated life becomes a blur, very gray. The inexperienced 18 year old who knows it all is on equal footing, no understanding of experience, wisdom, authority. I have been out now for 25 years, and I am doing the same job today that I did in 1983! The key difference is people.

If you go to college, like was stated earlier, age should not be a factor. In college today there are students from 14 to 80. You just go an do your thing. You indicated that you could not get your degree while in. I recall a number of Marines getting degrees while in, but maybe it is your particular major?

In separations, when I got out, we had civilian recruiters come speak to us to get us to consider their profession, and some of those were law enforcement. I was at El Toro when I got out, and LAPD sent to recruiters who gave us quite a spiel to come work for LAPD, all types of pay incentives, and they have their own academy. BTW, some of those who were in LE can speak to this, but LE is probably about as close to a military environment as you'll get on the "outside." A few other agencies spoke to us as well, including Orange PD, Stanton, and CA Highway Patrol, who also have their own academy and pay quite well.

Big decision! Before I got out, I looked at other alternatives in the Marine Corps, such as warrant officer, B billets, lat moves. Might want to look at those, too, for a complete picture.

Good luck.

Apache
01-27-12, 12:39 PM
MOS 4429 just shared a wealth of intel with you.

There are reasons to extract from the Corps----
Examine your options carefully Grasshopper
The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence

There are benefits to doing your 20 ( or a little more)
Two are commissary privileges and Tri Care for Life
Both of these plus a retirement check for life cannot be bought from ANY Civillian employer

What about an on line degree while you are in the Corps ?
(presuming you want a degree)

MOS4429
01-27-12, 12:48 PM
The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence

There are benefits to doing your 20 ( or a little more)
Two are commissary privileges and Tri Care for Life

Apache, and what is mindboggling is when you get out having put in 9 years, or in the case of the OP, more than 9, I hit the ripe ol' age of 37 in a freakin' blink of the eye!

Of course I said to myself, "If I had stayed in, I'd be retiring!"

I couldn't have, had a med issue that would have put me out, but barring that...

Quinbo
01-27-12, 01:06 PM
11 years from now you'll be telling someone that you were once in the Marines. You'll tell them you were in for 9 years and on your way up. They'll ask why you didn't finish out the 20 and now collecting a retirement check. And you'll say ........ ???

awbrown1462
01-27-12, 01:18 PM
you can take online classes and if not deployed you can go to school alot of bases have school on them for you to go too here on ft knox thay have UK, U of L , WKU, and some others from out of state look into that also

2nd Lar 0311
01-27-12, 01:45 PM
Im currently going to school full time after having done 4 years in the Marines. The post 9/11 GI bill is good to go, full tuition and around 1300 (depending on your state) for liveing plus an additional 1000 every year for books. Though I am not as old as you (Im 23) being around 18 year olds does get frustrating, but I am here to get an education not just to party, so try to put them out of your mind and use your GI bill, you earned it after all.

sempidr
01-27-12, 01:59 PM
11 years from now you'll be telling someone that you were once in the Marines. You'll tell them you were in for 9 years and on your way up. They'll ask why you didn't finish out the 20 and now collecting a retirement check. And you'll say ........ ???

SBYates,
You are lucky that you have so many options. I agree with Quinbo. You have almost half of the 20 done. Keep in mind that Law Enforcement is not exempt from layoffs and cutbacks. It's happening all over the US. With parts of the Country seeing as high as 20% unemployment (Stockton, CA), you need to really consider and study your options.
Go to school, get a degree and try to get in an Officer's Program. That college degree will help you more, at retirement, in getting that next career started, as well.
From an old 65 year ancient Engineer, I would tell you from my experience, stay in, and make the most of your time.

Just saying.

Sempidr

2nd Lar 0311
01-27-12, 02:04 PM
Even if you DONT do anything with your degree, its an additional 1300 a month ontop of whatever you make working, cant go wrong with it and you only need to be enrolled in 50% of your courses (usually 3 classes a semester) to get the money. Its always nice to have a degree to fall back on, since its free, why not?

jaggerace
01-27-12, 08:11 PM
Get out and go to school. That post 9/11 GI Bill is a pretty sweet deal. It's free money that you earned

Parks
01-27-12, 09:18 PM
Stay in, use TA, get your retirement check. Then get out and use your GI Bill if you want to. That's 2x the money earned.

doc h fmf
01-27-12, 10:24 PM
BOY I WISH I HAD THE 911 OR VIETNAM GI BILL BECAUSE MINE SUCKED. THE VEEP PROGRAM THE GOVERNMENT MATCH YOU UP TO 4000 DOLLARS. WELL I DID use it for awhile everything was fine, well to make a long story short one day i got a notice saying i owed 100 dollqars to the govt ment so i sent to get my money back. so i worked and payed my way to nursing school with help from the 40/8 now iam unemployed,

SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

fl1946
01-28-12, 12:45 PM
If you don't mind hearing from an old dinosaur and project yourself about 40 years into the future...if you have education opportunities at a nearby college, take some evening classes, i.e., core course and get them out of the way. This will not only help you learn how to study but earn some credits. (I did this at Univ Virginia Ext in Quantico). The Corps gave me a 30 day education early out when I was accepted by university. Now here's the best part...after you matriculate with your sheepskin in hand, if you go into federal law enforcement or federal agencies, your 9+ years in the Corps counts toward federal retirement. I did this later in life and wish I had gone the federal route earlier. It's not easy to get picked up by FBI, NSA or other fed agencies, but if you make the grade, the training and growth are superb. I'm still with the fed, a few years until my SECOND retirement. Albeit can't keep up with the pack in the field but love doling out choice assignments to my young Turks, men and women. Good luck. I'm sure you will do well...but at minimum, get your degree. That's your initial ticket to ride.

Semper fi,
Vietnam Vet, '67

Great answers to your Q's here. Any one will work.

thewookie
01-28-12, 02:20 PM

I hear what you are saying, Quinbo (what happened to Bulkyer?)

But I got out after 8, and when I get that question this is what I tell them....

"Cause it's not easy. Cause my body was tired and getting broke, and I wanted to have what was left for my kids. Cause I was tired of the games. Cause there was no war to fight (at the time, for me)".

Sure it is easy to look back and say what if, but it's sometime harder to do it.

To the OP --> Good luck -- make sound decisions, and once you have made them don't look back -- only forward. :usmc:

Kegler300
01-28-12, 02:44 PM
Life after the Corps is great! I love the Marine Corps...I love it even more today!

Tennessee Top
01-29-12, 01:13 AM
Stay in, use TA, get your retirement check. Then get out and use your GI Bill if you want to. That's 2x the money earned.

Finished my associates degree in general studies from Azusa Pacific College and my bachelor of science degree (aviation management) from Southern Illinois University using tuition assistance while aboard Camp Pendleton. Niether degree cost me a penny. It helped that I was assigned to base units during this time and did not deploy. Meant that I sacraficed most of my free time for classes and study; did not have a weekend off for probably three years straight but it was worth it when done. Had my BS degree as a SSgt selectee and am certain it helped with future promotions.

Retired with 22.6 years service and went back to school fulltime again this time using my GI Bill. Got a check from the VA every month that covered all my tuition, books, lab fees, and even had some left over that I put toward the rent for my studio apartment near campus. Completed a Respiratory Therapy degree that never cost me a penny. Had job offers before graduating and accepted the one here at the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville. Due to retire, again, from the state of Tennessee on June 1st 2013 (I'll be 60).

TriCare for life is a LOT cheaper than what my colleagues pay for their health insurance (by hundreds of dollars over the course of a year). But, it is under fire from congress (too good of a thing I suppose) and getting more difficult to find physicians who accept it.

Going to school with youngsters is no big deal. They may be more tech savvy than you but you're there to learn not socialize anyway.

Being a "lifer" myself, I say stay in and finish your career (you'll be glad you did). You'll still be young enough to have a second career when you decide to punch out and that retirement check is mighty sweet! Look at a "B" billet; DI, recruiting, or MSG duty (I did that one twice). Gives you a different perspective of the Corps, a break from your primary MOS, and helps with promotion.

Good luck.

Quinbo
01-29-12, 01:33 AM
I did not have a choice and given the choice I would have stayed in. Today I would be planning my retirement ceremony. Important things of note.... My wife is retired Navy and that retirement check keeps the wolf away from the door. Trust me it aint much but it helps.

SGT7477
01-29-12, 07:49 AM
SBYates,
You are lucky that you have so many options. I agree with Quinbo. You have almost half of the 20 done. Keep in mind that Law Enforcement is not exempt from layoffs and cutbacks. It's happening all over the US. With parts of the Country seeing as high as 20% unemployment (Stockton, CA), you need to really consider and study your options.
Go to school, get a degree and try to get in an Officer's Program. That college degree will help you more, at retirement, in getting that next career started, as well.
From an old 65 year ancient Engineer, I would tell you from my experience, stay in, and make the most of your time.

Just saying.

Sempidr
If you want to be a full time police officer go to the oil patch in northwestern N.D. you will have a lifetime job, they can't get enough bodies for the job at hand,Semper Fidelis.:flag:

SGT7477
01-29-12, 07:54 AM
If I was you with the time you have in I would stay in for the long haul like the 30 year route, I could kick myself in the azz for not staying in, I remember the Gunny saying if you stay in my unit I will guarantee you SSgt within 5 years, you can't look back brother,Semper Fidelis.

SGT7477
01-29-12, 07:55 AM
I did not have a choice and given the choice I would have stayed in. Today I would be planning my retirement ceremony. Important things of note.... My wife is retired Navy and that retirement check keeps the wolf away from the door. Trust me it aint much but it helps.
No choice? Semper Fidelis:flag:

thewookie
01-29-12, 09:31 AM

I understand what you are saying.

Had I stayed in, next month I would be celebrating my 1 year anniversary of retirement from the Corps after 20 years.

I could also be dead - maybe before I got to retirement I got whacked by some raghead, or killed/injured by an ied, or maybe worse yet killed by friendly fire.

But, I could also have shot up the ranks, killed some terrorists and lived to tell about it, and then sailed off into the sunset.

Many of my peers from my last duty station are doing very well in the Corps, but one of them is dead, and a few of them have Purple Hearts, too. So, I try to stay balanced about those things and focused on what's ahead.

Any way, that's my story and I am sticking to it. Congratulations to your wife, it's not easy to do 20 years. ;)

rossmuten
01-29-12, 12:16 PM
Guys let him do what he wants I say. Nine years is a lot of time if you get out let the Veterans affairs help you at least. Get enrolled with medical from them get your physical look over your c-file and you can get disability if it so happens you are sick or injured and in need of it sometime.

Zulu 36
01-29-12, 12:44 PM
Another option you can consider is joining a reserve unit of one branch or another. A lot of Marines end up in the Air National Guard for some reason (me, Sgt Lep, and others). Of course, Air Guard flying units have need for meteorology people. So does the Air Force Reserve.

It's a good chance the Air Guard will take you in as an E-5 and if your MOS schooling and experience is equivalent to Air Force standards, they'll take you without having to go to a school. I didn't have to go to Security Police school because I was a Marine and a Marine MP to boot. I had to do some correspondence courses to bring myself up to speed on the Air Force stuff, plus reading applicable Air Force/Air Guard regs, but that was no big deal.

Just a thought.

E6Bond
01-29-12, 01:54 PM

Yut
Sgt Yates

General feedback from an Internet forum is very useful but talk to Marine in the area your going to return to. I'm in CA and can cell you that being a cop in one city or area is very different than being a cop in another city. The best gouge comes from the local guys.

As far as getting out and starting college or a career: definitely go to college not because I think everybody needs it but because you have GI Bill benefits that are pretty good these days and it will allow you to take a good look around and see what you really want to do. It'll take you about 6 months to get comfortable with it but college campus' are really a good environment for the transitioning Marine.

Also, join up with the National Marine Corps Business Network (www.NMCBN.com) that has a lot of Marines in different professional fields. Signing up is free and you'll be able to search and contact Marines who are willing to give you and hand in transition and offer some really good advice.

Good luck, Semper Fi.

SBYates
01-30-12, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys, that was alot of great points. I should clarify why I am considering this. I still have three years left. I am finally, at a place where I can do some college, Pentagon, and on that same token, I have the ability unlike many Marines, to make some serious network ties. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job, I love the Marine Corps. I just have other things I want to do before I get to old.

I also recently found out I will be a father. And now it wont just be us two moving around and dealing with deployments. Not to mention, my wife sacrifices so much of her career goals, following me around the country. That I feel that it is unfair for me to, "Say, well honey, 11 years left"

Sadly, not all degrees are created equally, especially. Meteorology degrees, and sadly you cant get one online. They have similar degrees. However, that doesnt help me, if I want to work for NOAA or NWS.

I have always be intrested in LE, and I love, I mean LOVE, being apart of something that doen't serve me. I like serving others, so naturally LE draws me to it. I am interested in working for county Sheriff's office. I plan on doing a ride along with Stafford County, which is just south of Quantico, just to get an idea of what they actually do on a daily.

So my reasoning for getting out is: 1: Sure I have a stable pay check, but to me it isnt a stable house, if you are moving and deploying. 2: I want my wife to have the career she wants to have, I don't want her to have to follow me around, and just work were she can find a job. 3: Everyday, I get older, and at some point I wont be young enough to do LE. 4: I like doing Weather, however, like I worry and my wife worries, I get bored, sitting in an office on a computer. Again thanks for all the imput. I appreciate it.

http://signatures.myarmedforces.com/images/14/32675/military_signature.png?1327568218 (http://profile.myarmedforces.com/index.php?action=profile&profileID=32675#)

SGT7477
01-30-12, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys, that was alot of great points. I should clarify why I am considering this. I still have three years left. I am finally, at a place where I can do some college, Pentagon, and on that same token, I have the ability unlike many Marines, to make some serious network ties. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job, I love the Marine Corps. I just have other things I want to do before I get to old.

I also recently found out I will be a father. And now it wont just be us two moving around and dealing with deployments. Not to mention, my wife sacrifices so much of her career goals, following me around the country. That I feel that it is unfair for me to, "Say, well honey, 11 years left"

Sadly, not all degrees are created equally, especially. Meteorology degrees, and sadly you cant get one online. They have similar degrees. However, that doesnt help me, if I want to work for NOAA or NWS.

I have always be intrested in LE, and I love, I mean LOVE, being apart of something that doen't serve me. I like serving others, so naturally LE draws me to it. I am interested in working for county Sheriff's office. I plan on doing a ride along with Stafford County, which is just south of Quantico, just to get an idea of what they actually do on a daily.

So my reasoning for getting out is: 1: Sure I have a stable pay check, but to me it isnt a stable house, if you are moving and deploying. 2: I want my wife to have the career she wants to have, I don't want her to have to follow me around, and just work were she can find a job. 3: Everyday, I get older, and at some point I wont be young enough to do LE. 4: I like doing Weather, however, like I worry and my wife worries, I get bored, sitting in an office on a computer. Again thanks for all the imput. I appreciate it.

http://signatures.myarmedforces.com/images/14/32675/military_signature.png?1327568218 (http://profile.myarmedforces.com/index.php?action=profile&profileID=32675#)
Good points Brother,Good Luck,Semper Fidelis.

Cardboardbox
01-30-12, 03:53 PM

I would push for instructor duty at Keesler and go to Mississippi State.

SBYates
01-30-12, 04:01 PM
I would push for instructor duty at Keesler and go to Mississippi State.

I already looked into instructor duty, last word I heard is they over stock. For the force + up. But, now that we are on the down size. Our numbers are going to shrink. But degree from Mississippi State, like I said not all degrees are created equal.

Cardboardbox
01-30-12, 04:06 PM
I already looked into instructor duty, last word I heard is they over stock. For the force + up. But, now that we are on the down size. Our numbers are going to shrink. But degree from Mississippi State, like I said not all degrees are created equal.

I think that's bullcrap because they're pushing 3 unique classes at a time now. Gunny Cunningham and Gunny Villanueva are leaving to go somewhere else (Unique instructors), and two Sergeants are EASing.

SBYates
01-30-12, 04:10 PM
Remeber, we are downsizing to 186k that is a fact. So the 80 something WX platoon will get smaller and smaller. Like when I was there the first time, it was...6 people in the whole school that were Marines...

MOS4429
01-30-12, 05:06 PM
Yates, looking at your subsequent post and the four reasons why you think it is time to get out, and then the few posts after, just go back and read what you said again yourself.

I think you will see the answer to your question in your own words because your words convey the direction you really want to go.

Right?

So, not much us "old guys" can really say more.

SBYates
01-30-12, 06:21 PM
Yates, looking at your subsequent post and the four reasons why you think it is time to get out, and then the few posts after, just go back and read what you said again yourself.

I think you will see the answer to your question in your own words because your words convey the direction you really want to go.

Right?

So, not much us "old guys" can really say more.

Well, just because I want to go one way, doesnt mean it is the best way.

fl1946
01-30-12, 09:29 PM
Well Grasshopper, you need to sit down and look inside yourself. We can pontificate only own views.

S/F

Tennessee Top
01-31-12, 12:19 AM
Sounds to me like your mind is made up as well. Plus, you want to make momma happy (nothing wrong with that). Hope it works out for you in the civilian world.

If one of your big deals is serving others, you may want to look into medecine like I did. Doesn't matter what the economy is doing, people still get sick, wreck their cars, are shot/shoot themselves, overdose...you get the idea. Caregivers have to take care of them. It can be a hassle getting into an accredated program and there normally are waiting lists but your GI Bill will pay for it. Just something else to think about.