PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Message from Army Colonel

Mudwalker
11-08-03, 08:34 AM
This was e-mailed to us at HQMC. Thought I'd share it with you all.

Semper Fi,
Mudwalker

With so many Marines - current and former - I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the birthday of America's oldest national fighting force. Yes, the Army recently amended its heritage to relfect an earlier birth date than the Marine Corps, but the fact remains that this was a stretch (no disrespect intended to the National Guard). The Marine Corps was the first national fighting force authorized by Congress and placed under the leadership of our Commander-in-Chief. As our founding fathers struggled with the task of crafting our Constitution, U.S. Marines were trained and ready to defend it.

Our national forces have been all over the globe in recent years, often in places whose names and locations are not known by the common person. Marines, on the other hand, have been going to nameless and unknown places since their inception. Just listen to their hymn. How many of those places do you recognize?

I must confess my envy. While I'm quite proud of my own Service and its history, we've done little (nothing, really) to embody any of that heritage in the Soldiers we recruit, train, and send in harm's way. I don't mean to imply that our Soldiers aren't proud of what they're doing. Perhaps a metaphor will help: My first block of instruction at basic training was on rank recognition and saluting. Every Marine recruit's first block of instruction is on the history and, most importantly, the heritage of the Corps. I was taught to salute officers and stand at parade rest for NCOs. Marine recruits are challenged to become a member of an elite fraternity by owning up to the legacy laid before them. See the difference? If I were only Chief of Staff for a day . . .

In any event, please take time to recognize the Marines in our office and those among your friends and neighbors on their special day -- November 10th. It's a great opportunity to say 'thank you' to a group of great American patriots. They were, are, and always will be the first to fight.

Congratulations and thanks for 228 years, Marines. Here's to 228 more!!

ATW,
B

Brian Lindamood
COL, USA
DD, JRO/CBRND, J8