PDA

View Full Version : Need help, what are my options?

DaynK120
01-21-12, 05:38 PM
I have about a year and 5 months left on my 5 year infantry contract, however I don't make the cut-off for our next deployment. This means I'm going to be spending the rest of my contract between RBE and one or more FAPs. I'm not interested in extending or reenlisting, so it seems my options are pretty limited.
Now, I know there's the 90 day early out with the VEERP, but I've also heard of 6-month early outs for education or even 1 year early outs if I reenlist into the reserves. Unfortunately, my unit's career planner hasn't been very useful at all so I was hoping the community here could give me a better picture.
It's not that I'm trying to weasel out of the rest of my contract, but in my current situation I'm no use to the Marine Corps and would rather spend the next year moving on with my life. What options do I have?

spotts
01-21-12, 05:59 PM
You are only an E1 after 3 plus years in?

DaynK120
01-21-12, 06:21 PM
E-3, sorry I just made this profile. As an 0351 I still have a bit of a wait before I can expect NCO.

thewookie
01-21-12, 06:41 PM
Do they still have terminal leave? I'd assume so? Maybe some RA to kill some time? See if you can get FAP'd out to the pool or something -- or do civilians do the pools now? That's the best I got, good luck.

spotts
01-21-12, 07:00 PM
I was FAP'd to SOI as an instructor when I was getting out.

DaynK120
01-24-12, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! RA is a great idea that I hadn't thought of before, and it just so happens the recruiters in my hometown need the extra help. With any luck I can get approval to go every three months or so, get to spend a little time with friends and family and be useful to the Corps all at the same time. It's a great opportunity.

Yonkers
01-25-12, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! RA is a great idea that I hadn't thought of before, and it just so happens the recruiters in my hometown need the extra help. With any luck I can get approval to go every three months or so, get to spend a little time with friends and family and be useful to the Corps all at the same time. It's a great opportunity.

I've gone on it tons of times, it's fun... get to spend quality time with the dog/fam/girlfriend/friends (maybe not in that order) and be "useful" at the same time like ya said. :D

2nd Lar 0311
01-27-12, 01:50 PM
Try requesting some job schools, looks great on your resume when you get out. Id recomend dm school and combat hunter course, cant say too much about any others...avoid corporals course at all costs...isl is pretty locked on from what im told as well.