PDA

View Full Version : Marine Memorial for my Father

lissetterod
01-14-12, 05:07 AM
On November the 23 at 1047pm I lost my General, my father. He was a Marine for 24 years. A DI in Paris Island, served in Korea and Vietnam. Master Sargeant Phillip Garrett. He wanted to be cremated and his ashes in a paper bag but we made him order his Urn. Of course it was a Marine Urn. Here is my delima, We are having a memorial for him on May 20th, 2012. This is the day his granddaughter graduates from Uniform Services Medical School and will be a Doctor in the AirForce. He was so proud of her. I would like to have some Marines come a give a salute to my father as we spread his ashes over the Blue Ridge Mountains in Va. He had already hired a pilot and of course wants the Marine Corp Hymm played. Can anyone tell me who I can call to get this started. He lived about 2 hours from Quantico. Thank You so much for your help and Semper Fi to all of you.....

MontanaDevilDog
01-14-12, 05:10 AM
My most sincere condolences to you and your family. I thank your father for his devotion to our beloved country. He is among heroes for sure. He is a hero.

RIP Marine. Stand strong guarding the gates of heaven my brother.

Semper Fidelis. :usmc:

MontanaDevilDog
01-14-12, 05:16 AM
I would recommend calling either the base chaplain, honor guard, or base mortuary affairs. Or your local funeral home or even the VA. They should be able to help or at least guide you in the right direction.

Quinbo
01-14-12, 05:24 AM
One more Marine guarding heavens scenes

I looked up the number for the Virginia CACO office
Here ya go
1-800-368-3202

Rocky C
01-14-12, 07:51 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.

RIP Marine...

Semper Fi,
Rocky

lissetterod
01-14-12, 04:54 PM
Thank you for the wonderful replies. My father was my hero. He entered the Marines when he was 16, told a little white lie and a fake ID. Times where tough in Georgia. It was tough growing up with a DI. The hardest part was putting him on the plane for Nam.

He met my mother in Vieques PR and was happly married until she got breast cancer in 1972. She died in 1980. I never saw my father cry until that day. He remaried and was happy for 31 years.

On October 28th he was diagnosed with Liver Cancer and was given 1 year to live. I called him as soon as I found out and he said to me " Hell, I didnt think I would make it out of Korea, I will be fine" He died in 3 weeks. I drove all night from Texas to be there for him and made it with 6 hours to spare. I layed in bed with my hero for those 6 hours. He even died like a Marine. Never letting anyone know how much pain he endoured. Before he died I wrote him a letter and he loved it. Wanted to share it with you. Also found this wonderful poem. He loved it....
<META name=Generator content="Microsoft SafeHTML"><STYLE>.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}</STYLE>Dad....Growing up I looked up to you for everything and knew you would take care of me. You are my HERO, a GENERAL in my eyes and BIGGER than life itself. I use to play with GI Joes and thought this was my father. A protector of our country, A MARINE. You taught me Pride, Compassion, Integridy and I thank you for that. I am a piece of you and will carry you in my heart forever. You and mom had a special bond that I admired. What a beautiful relationship. When she died Mary came into our lives and has been Wonderful. I believe mom sent her to us. Mary will always be a big part of our lives. She has been there for Us and the Grandkids but especially you. She has taken such good care of you and I thank her for that. You have had 2 wonderful marriages that I will always admire and try to model myself after. I feel God has given us the opportunity to embrace this time we have together. I feel so blessed that I can express my gratitude to you because I was unable to with mom.

I dont want you to worry about me because I am a survivor and will be fine but I will miss you and our weekly talks on the phone. You are my Best friend and my father, and you have been a very good father. Thank you for everything you have done for me, even during my trying teen years. I'm so sorry for all the rough times I put you thru, I'm so sorry! You have helped me become a strong and confident women. Master Sargeant (My General) Garrett you have done your job well! Semper Fi, With Love Always, Phyllis....

THE FINAL INSPECTION
<TABLE border=0 width="75%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD height=398 width="54%">
The Marine stood and faced God
Which must always come to pass
He hoped his shoes were shining
Just as brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, you Marine,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?"
The Marine squared his shoulders and
said, "No, Lord, I guess I ain't
Because those of us who carry guns
Can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays
And at times my talk was tough,
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.
But, I never took a penny
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime
When the bills got just too steep,
</TD><TD width="46%">
And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear,
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.
I know I don't deserve a place
Among the people here,
They never wanted me around
Except to calm their fears.
If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand,
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand."
There was a silence all around the throne
Where the saints had often trod
As the Marine waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God,
"Step forward now, you Marine,
You've borne your burdens well,
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in hell."
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

lissetterod
01-14-12, 04:58 PM
My most sincere condolences to you and your family. I thank your father for his devotion to our beloved country. He is among heroes for sure. He is a hero.

RIP Marine. Stand strong guarding the gates of heaven my brother.

Semper Fidelis. :usmc:

Thank you....

lissetterod
01-14-12, 04:59 PM
One more Marine guarding heavens scenes

I looked up the number for the Virginia CACO office
Here ya go
1-800-368-3202

Thank you so much...

lissetterod
01-14-12, 05:00 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.

RIP Marine...

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Thank you....

SGT7477
01-14-12, 05:51 PM
RIP Marine,Semper Fidelis.

sparkie
01-14-12, 08:24 PM
The local Marine Corps League can be called upon. try it.

doc h fmf
01-15-12, 10:44 PM
I Am So Sorry About Your Father.may God Bless You And Your Family And May God Craddle Your Dad In His Arms.

Semper Fi And God Bless Lissete

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf