PDA

View Full Version : Question

challiwell
01-13-12, 08:26 PM
I am not on this site much so I was put off when I logged in and the first thing I saw was the story on Dakota Meyers that starts off with "Former Marine" last time I checked there are NO FORMER Marines, am I correct?

Burke7051
01-13-12, 08:35 PM
I am not on this site much so I was put off when I logged in and the first thing I saw was the story on Dakota Meyers that starts off with "Former Marine" last time I checked there are NO FORMER Marines, am I correct?

Not necessarily, former Marine from what I understand refers to a retired Marine, or a Marine no longer on active service. Not everyone in this country understands the saying "Once a Marine, always a Marine".

ChuckH
01-14-12, 04:16 AM

No you are not correct...
There are no EX Marines except for Lee Harvey Oswald and Charles Whitman.

Apache
01-14-12, 08:57 AM
The only correct title is MARINE
Civillians do not understand but that is Thier loss

ChuckH
01-14-12, 09:09 AM
The only correct title is MARINE
Civillians do not understand but that is Thier loss

WE know that.. but in the civilian world they refer to us as "former".
When I hear that, I tell them I will be a Marine till the day I die!!!! :thumbup:

Marine84
01-14-12, 06:02 PM
Once one always one.

SGT7477
01-14-12, 06:44 PM
Once one always one.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:,Semper Fidelis.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-16-12, 05:28 PM
Basically, yeah. The 'former' is a better/quicker way of saying 'Honorably Discharged' Marine. But 'Marine' it is no matter what. However, as someone else said, civilians/press/non Marines can't...

cubawatcher
01-16-12, 06:32 PM
I have educated the people-staff and students-at my high school that I am not a former Marine,but a Marine.I'm now introduced as this is Tom he's a Marine.Caps are not optional.It's a blast working with high school kids and having the opportunity to discuss the military with them.The majority of the kids out there are good-just a little different from 50 years ago.We've had some good Marines recruited from my school not to mention those that chose to enter the Army,Air Force and Navy.I'm proud of all of them for serving their country.

O.R. Davis
01-16-12, 06:39 PM
I thought it was now referred to as Active, Former Active, Reserve, or Retired, or Veteran No longer "X" Marine!

silverdollar
01-16-12, 06:52 PM
Once one always one.

That goes for A**holes too.