PDA

View Full Version : More on the Army of One

kentmitchell
11-07-03, 05:45 PM
This is on Col. David Hackworth's Website:

Beware Fort Jax Training May Kill Your Kids

I am now a Drill Sergeant Company Commander in the Reserves. Last Annual Training I had the most interesting experience at FT Jackson with my unit during a cycle of BCT (Basic COMBAT Training). I now know why the whole Jessica Lynch situation occurred! I’m not down playing her or the soldiers that served and made the supreme sacrifice in her unit. But I now see what is wrong with these Civilians that wear the Soldier Outfit and “Play Army.”

First (1) at the M16 Range the soldiers were told to aim and fire at the earth in front of the target in hope of getting the dirt to hit the target! I thought the purpose of the weapon was to kill the target! And in doing so accomplish your mission and save the lives of the Man (person) on your left, right, and rear!

Second (2) just qualifying was an accomplishment! At the end of the day all the Commission Leadership wanted to know was were we at % wise on the qualifications. Not 15% expert, 57% Sharpshooter … but how many just qualified! Marksmanship had no place at this range! There was no need to get the soldiers upset about not qualifying expert, only about just qualifying, even if it took you 3, 4, 7, 9 times! I have never been in combat, but I’m of the belief that you only have one chance to do it right.

Third (3) The Officers only talk about getting out of the Army. All but one in the battalion I was assigned to talked about getting out and how great life would be in the civilian world. It was so bad that their attitude spread to their Drill Sergeants (DS), who have one of the toughest jobs in the Military, and you could see it in the DS lack of pride and desire to get back to the line. Plus leading by example was a phrase that was talked not displayed. PT was a joke, officers who can’t do 300 on an APFT. I’m of the belief that Officers must be able to prove to their soldiers that the standard is excellence! I have not always gotten top scores at the range or on an APFT. But I would lead from the front and if I screwed up I’d take responsibility and make sure I correct my lack in leadership and judgment.

I came there with the misguided notation that this is the most important place for a warrior to be developed and I has going to do my best to help make sure the DS had what they need to do that! It made me sick to be an officer!

A good portion of the Active DS I saw are outstanding! They saw the whole picture! But the Leadership would not allow them to train their soldiers! The BN and BDE officers wanted my Reserve Units DS at these ranges because “somehow” our DS got soldiers to qualify! Because they taught the soldiers to kill the Target. They (the officers) thought that our DS had some magical power, and in turn it was these some micro-managing officers training ideas to have the soldiers aim at the dirt that caused these problems! This really helped to destroy the moral of the Active DS!!! I have never in my years on Active Duty and in the Guard and Reserve have I heard praise for the performance of the Reserves and Guards soldiers, like I heard at FT Jackson.

I could go one and on. My father laughs at me when I come home from drill and I rage about the idiots in my unit and the experiences I had at AT. Somewhere we (the officers) lost our way and we started to take on the job of the NCO and started to worry about numbers more than the quality of the lives that we lead! And by taking away the NCO from their God Given Duty, we offices have taken away our best teacher, mentor, leader and friend!

I believe in the soldier, which is the only reason I’m in this. I fear being promoted to MAJ! A friend of mine, who is of the some mindset as I am, believe when you hit CPT you brain turns from jell-o to a liquid. When you make MAJ it leaks out of your brains. When you make LTC you …… we haven’t been able to figure LTC and above yet.

So what I’m saying is that I believe it’s about them, the soldier, not my career or promotions or a great civilian job….Its about them. And we have lost our way.

Thanks for listening, OUT!

CPT, INFANTRY

» email this article «

Your Email:

Their Email:

JAMarine
11-07-03, 06:29 PM
I'm not really sure how to respond to your post.

I do know however that my son will graduate from Fort Jackson on the 20th of November. And I do know that I'm extremely proud of my son. He has had many setbacks in his youth and was dropped on my doorstep by his mother and "other" (at the time) because he did not fit into their future. He went from failing classes and in jeopardy of graduating from school to graduating with A's, B's and with Honors.

I am disappointed at your post. Disappointed not with you but the information. I just hope that the pride in 'your' and my son's Army turns around and is somewhat visible. How in the world can a young person even attempt success and pride within themselves if the individuals that are suppose to be instilling this attitude and pride do not feel it themselves?

Thank you for doing what you do and for the attitude you display. You are my Brother. If you were not a Marine I believe I might look at you differently for your post.

Thank you for your honestly and dedication.

firstsgtmike
11-08-03, 12:27 PM
I read the letter, and I was outraged.

I'm forced to admit that I had to read it four times to identify the true target of my rage.

A brief story to emphasize my point. (Details provided upon request.)

I was a Comm PltSgt. A 2ndLT CommO attempted to micro-manage. We went to the field on a CommEx. The Bn CO was dismayed to learn we would not be communicating because the CommO's detailed orders did NOT include batteries for the radios.

Part of the CommO's asschewing (which I eavesdropped on through the tent) revolved around the fact that the NCO's ran the Marine Corps and made it work and that it was the Officer's job to assist and run interference for them. The NCO's, with their years of training and experience, would get the assigned job done, and the Officer would get the credit for being smart enough to stay out of the way.

IF the officer chose to do the job of an NCO, he would be given the opportunity to exchange his bars for a single stripe and be given the opportunity to work his way up to NCO.

Col Ed Danowitz was the Bn CO and deserves to be named.

So my rage and fury is directed at the true target, the NCO's who failed in their responsibility as mentors to the young Lts who were assigned to their platoons for seasoning.

You take what is mine over my dead body, otherwise it is because I gave it to you.

Semper Fi