PDA

View Full Version : How do I respond to Semper Fi?

newskate9
01-09-12, 03:22 PM
Good day all,

I'm a Marine dad and I often wear my best hat or jacket out, with clear Marines markings - gifts from my son. Often, an obvious Marine, and often others as well, will give me a hearty Semper Fi.

I'm not a Marine. When I have time, I stop to say hi and thank you, and explain it is my son that deserves the nods. But sometimes I don't have time - and I do not want to appear rude or arrogant in any way. So, what's the standard? Is there a right or wrong response?

Thanks!

MOS4429
01-09-12, 04:08 PM
Good day all,

I'm a Marine dad and I often wear my best hat or jacket out, with clear Marines markings - gifts from my son. Often, an obvious Marine, and often others as well, will give me a hearty Semper Fi.

I'm not a Marine. When I have time, I stop to say hi and thank you, and explain it is my son that deserves the nods. But sometimes I don't have time - and I do not want to appear rude or arrogant in any way. So, what's the standard? Is there a right or wrong response?

Thanks!

IMHO, just give a head nod and reply, "Semper Fi" back.

I was in a restaurant with a couple of my kids, had on a polo shirt with insignia, and as an older guy left, he said Semper Fi at me, and I just responded back "Semper Fi." He had no idea if I was a Marine or not. I think it is more discourteous to not say anything.

Similarily, I was enlisted. One day years ago I was driving an officer's car on El Toro, and Marines would salute me because of the blue decal. But I am not an officer, so I didn't salute back. Well...this really ticked a couple Marines off I could see from my rear view mirror. So I asked what is the proper protocol and was told they are saluting the decal. Just render a salute back, so that's what I did when driving the car on future occasions.

jp2usmc
01-09-12, 04:42 PM
Newskate9: Reach down into the pit of your being and give a big, loud, "Ooorah!"

That is all.

newskate9
01-09-12, 05:36 PM
Thank you, Marines.

There are days it is hard to hold back the tears, I'm so proud of my sons. (1 Marine, 1 soldier, 1 coach).

Semper Fi it is. And Semper Fi to each of you.........

Rocky C
01-09-12, 05:59 PM
Thank you, Marines.

There are days it is hard to hold back the tears, I'm so proud of my sons. (1 Marine, 1 soldier, 1 coach).

Semper Fi it is.....

:thumbup::usmc::flag:

acg8276
01-09-12, 06:02 PM
Hey proud papa....

Newskate9: Reach down into the pit of your being and give a big, loud, "Ooorah!"

That is all.

That'd be a big white toothed smile Marine style...Like when my kids impress me.

doc h fmf
01-09-12, 06:58 PM
Ooohhhrrraaah Proud Papa Thats How You Respond.

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

TMM54
01-09-12, 08:49 PM
Never hear any criticism from me about what my Brothers and Sisters do, but I just make time to make a new friend.

I am sometimes rushed, but usually there is a pot of gold in front of me instead of where I am rushing to.

An easy and inexpensive solution is business cards, with your name and telephone number and our beloved EGA. A quick "call me I am in a hell of a rush" works when nothing else will.

Love you guys - had a couple of Marines in my office today as new patients.

Semper Fi, Tom

jclarke
01-10-12, 07:18 PM
The info above is good to know, as many of the police in our neck of the woods had been in the Corps. Wearing the gear my son bought me, I was unsure of how to respond, but, now I know. If I do get the chance/time tho', I will say it's our son who's in the U.S.M.C.

Yonkers
01-11-12, 07:58 AM

That is all.
my fav is the loud and obnoxious "rah" hahah

Marinemom32
01-12-12, 08:54 AM
This is very good to know...as my son has bought me a lot of Marine gear to wear also...and of course my bumper stickers...

jp2usmc
01-12-12, 09:08 AM
This is very good to know...as my son has bought me a lot of Marine gear to wear also...and of course my bumper stickers...

Generally, I am not a fan of someone wearing Marine gear if they are not or have not served. I've got a nephew who's been out of high school for a year now, and keeps walking around with shirts and hats with Marines printed on them. It is like walking around in a Harley-Davidson shirt but not owning a H-D; kind of wrong, in my book.

However, you should get a "Marine Mom" bumper sticker to keep on your vehicle. They can be found on Sgt Grit's website (http://www.grunt.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Marine+Mom) or picked up at the Recruiter's Station.

It may seem trivial, but there are many individuals that walk among you who will lend aid when a brother's parent is in trouble - from a flat tire to a hold up.

Marinemom32
01-12-12, 09:57 AM
Generally, I am not a fan of someone wearing Marine gear if they are not or have not served. I've got a nephew who's been out of high school for a year now, and keeps walking around with shirts and hats with Marines printed on them. It is like walking around in a Harley-Davidson shirt but not owning a H-D; kind of wrong, in my book.

However, you should get a "Marine Mom" bumper sticker to keep on your vehicle. They can be found on Sgt Grit's website (http://www.grunt.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Marine+Mom) or picked up at the Recruiter's Station.

It may seem trivial, but there are many individuals that walk among you who will lend aid when a brother's parent is in trouble - from a flat tire to a hold up.

OK...maybe i worded that wrong...it's not gear...but just T-shirts that he has bought me....just trying to show support for my son and the Marines, in no way am I trying to say that I was or am a Marine. And my bumper sticker does say "proud parent" of a US Marine that I got from his recruiter.
But right now since he hit a deer with my car while home on leave, I am driving his car....and I do feel strange driving it, as all his bumper stickers indicate a Marine in the car. Can't wait to get my back!!

USMCmomma2011
02-07-12, 05:59 PM
I am SO glad this was asked! I have some "Proud Mom of a Marine" clothes and I also get the "Semper Fi" at times and never know exactly what to say so I usually just say, "Thank you!"

YLDNDN6
03-12-12, 06:00 AM
I have always taken "Semper Fi" to mean "Always Faithful" to the Corps, my country, and to the great men and women who respect and appreciate our Corps and its fine traditions. Many times I have gotten a "Semper Fi" from someone with no affiliation to the Corps...just someone who who knows what it means, on a basic level, and is using it as a means of acknowledging my service to the country. It's actually sort of humbling when a civilian goes to any length to thank me for my service, so I'll take a "Semper Fi" whenever I can get one!

irpat54
03-12-12, 10:06 AM
Simper Fi,, Always Faithful,, you don't have to be a Marine to be "Always faithful" or to hold that concept at heart,..so i would always tell my kids who were not Marines, at the time, or the ones that aren't now, to respond back Simper Fi,,

MintusMaximus
06-10-12, 07:07 AM
... Reply with any of the following;

"Errrr"

"Tun Tavern"

"Yut"

"Smedley Butler"

"BAMCIS" (pronounced BAM-SISS)

You'll get a few laughs. ;)

Yonkers
06-10-12, 01:00 PM
... Reply with any of the following;

"Errrr"

"Yut"

Definitely my favorites, can't go wrong with a good "YYYYYYYYYYYUUUUUT".

Ebecker
07-15-12, 02:30 PM
As far as I am concerned, given the nature of the service, my mother and father rate a Semper Fi as much as I do. Though they didn't have to go through the physical beast that is Boot Camp, they did go through 3 months of the mental part with me, and they were a major part of getting me through it and continue to keep me going.

trukdryverchuck
07-15-12, 04:52 PM
I have been told in the past that a return "Semper Fi" was ok. I was not able to inlist in 1981 when I tried, and have spent the rest of my life regretting it.
I was born at Camp LeJuene, and was a staff member/ instructor in my son's Young Marines unit, and yet I still am uncomfortable when returning the Semper Fi. I like the idea of saying, Oohrah! I'll try that next time. Cant wait until my son's graduation. MCRD in September! Going to be a great trip.

Marinemom32
07-16-12, 10:11 AM
I have been told in the past that a return "Semper Fi" was ok. I was not able to inlist in 1981 when I tried, and have spent the rest of my life regretting it.
I was born at Camp LeJuene, and was a staff member/ instructor in my son's Young Marines unit, and yet I still am uncomfortable when returning the Semper Fi. I like the idea of saying, Oohrah! I'll try that next time. Cant wait until my son's graduation. MCRD in September! Going to be a great trip.

My son graduated in September 2011. Was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. It was truely an awesome experience. No way to describe the first time of seeing him after 3 months of not talking, just letters. Congratulations, end savor every minute, it goes by so quick

JRHD72
07-16-12, 06:13 PM
A very interesting topic. I have the habit of saying semper Fi! to anyone wearing U.S.M.C. identifiable gear. Last week I did an S.F to a guy my age in the local Nice n Easy. He took the time to explain, that he wore it for his son, Cpl. Eli Parker, KIA Iraq. It set me back a little as I was at the air base for the arrival of his son with my MCL Det. I had no FN idea how to respnd to his response!
SEMPER FI!

jp2usmc
07-17-12, 08:19 AM
I am SO glad this was asked! I have some "Proud Mom of a Marine" clothes and I also get the "Semper Fi" at times and never know exactly what to say so I usually just say, "Thank you!"

Just give them that embarrassed smile and say, "Oh, you Devil Dogs! Thank you."

cskelding
10-15-12, 09:53 PM
My son isn't there yet but he's working hard to signing up- school, falling off the outside of a building he was climbing etc, etc.... He's fired up to become a Marine. I wasn't sure how to deal with the future Semper Fi that will come my way but now I see good suggestions. Having been a CAP Commander, I would get "Thank you for your service" comments and learned to just say "Thank you". I wasn't active military but was in fact part of the USAF (aux) and CAP did and does important work within the US. I just held the "Thank you for your service." in my heart for those men and women who will no longer hear the voices of their loved ones and their countrymen.

SemperFido9915
05-15-14, 05:25 PM
I have a deep bass voice, so I give a doberman growly Ooh Rah!

Riven37
05-16-14, 10:27 AM
Marine parents are in the family and you cannot get away from this. You wear hat, shirt from your son or daughter being a proud parent and you get a Semper fi from another Marine tell them your son is one and you will still get a Semper Fi .....

Semper Fi

JohnnyTorso
05-16-14, 02:03 PM
So, for those of us that served in the Corps, and have a son who's leaving in September, do I get a double Semper Fi? Semper Semper Fi? ;)

Rocky C
05-16-14, 05:17 PM
Congrats Brother !!!

Semper, Semper Fi :)

doc h fmf
05-18-14, 12:06 AM
As a Former Corpsman /Doc I say Semper Fi and ooooorrrrrraaaaaaah.

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Phantom Blooper
05-18-14, 03:51 PM
Semper Fi Mac! I ain't a Marine but dey' got my back!

SemperFido9915
05-20-14, 06:39 PM
I Met Gunny R. Lee Ermey last Saturday, and it was an honor to reply to his "Semper Fi!" I guess I was kind of excited, because when I did the OOH RAH!, the guy standing next to me jumped about 5 feet back. What can I say? It was the Gunny I was talking to.
Off topic, great guy. We talked for ten minutes, though it was well past his meet and greet time, and there were 20 people still behind me.:)

SemperFido9915
05-20-14, 06:41 PM
oops

Old Marine
05-22-14, 11:49 AM
Greeting: Semper Fi

Response: Do Or Die:evilgrin:

Tommy Vaughn
05-22-14, 03:02 PM
Well, I'm a 'Nam vet and we weren't didn't respond "Ooorah!". My response has always been "Do or die!" But, about my memory.....

Tglenn
11-12-14, 08:05 AM
I asked my Marine the same question (0311) he said "kill"

Jrboyes0813
11-12-14, 12:22 PM
I have read this comments and it is a pleasure to see people recognize the Corps and our members. The largest fraternity in the world. Hearing Semper Fi is more than just words to us who have served. It is a brother hood few experience. Semper Fi...always great to hear and always brings back those days gone by...

Semper Fi..

RonnieHoss
11-13-14, 06:16 AM
Good stuff, Squad Leader. Wear what you are. My grandsons wear t-shirts with "Marine" boldly printed on them. I may be biased, but I believe it's ok. They are adults, and love the Corps because I'm one of the best. It's a family tradition, and they do it proudly. They're honest about it, and are quick to tell that they do it for me. They wear it well.

RonnieHoss
11-13-14, 06:18 AM
God bless you, Old Marine. Your response is number one.

advanced
11-13-14, 09:02 AM
Greeting: Semper Fi

Response: Do Or Die:evilgrin:

Response: Till I Die

MunkyVsRobot
11-14-14, 06:33 PM
No one who is still in the Marine Corps really uses Semper Fi unless it is a response to something like an oorah or err, yut or rah. So I usually dont respond to it.

advanced
11-14-14, 06:41 PM
What a loss to our heritage.

MunkyVsRobot
11-14-14, 06:48 PM
Meh, im sure when they get out it becomes different to people. Those who were not motivators when they were in wear so much Marine Corps stuff when they get out they are the most motivated individuals.

Dwatson613
11-13-16, 01:50 PM
I usually respond with an oorah

Haddock
11-13-16, 03:38 PM
Back when I was in during the Vietnam Era, "oorah" wasn't used.

The first time I heard it was when I was on Camp Schwab (near Henoko, at the northern east coast, last base before you hit the NTA). 3rd Recon had a detachment on base near the PMO and front gate. They'd be in formation about the time we (7th Comm) would be heading up on the hill to work. They'd aways dismiss with a back step (left-right) about face and yell "AhOooRah... Kill Kill Kill!"

So Ah Oo Rah was the way I learned it. Later generations of Marines shortened it to OoRah (I think it was about the time of the 1st Gulf, not sure). My theory it was to differentiate the Marines war cry from the Army's "Hooah?" which seemed to be both an interrogative and an affirmative response, depending on the context and inflection.

Somewhere along the line, use of "gung ho" fell out of common use with Marines. I'm not sure when, but I think it was before my time.

I usually wear something with an EGA on it whenever I go out. Most often, it is an old 8-point sateen utility cover that still has a visible bit of EGA on the front panel, or an old WWII HBT utility cover (with the short bill) that I was given by a Guadalcanal invader (red border on his First Division patch) before he passed.

Most people don't recognise either, but any Marine will spot it a 1000 yards out. The most common acknowledgement I encounter from them is a either a single nod or a quiet "Hey, Mac."

"Thanks for your service," from civilians is MUCH more likely than hearing S.F or other USMC greeting.

Haddock
11-13-16, 04:00 PM
A minor footnote to my previous (above) post:

I wear shirts I am given that come from Sgt Grit or Crackerbarrel or some other source. They are a tacit recruiting device. We are a country at war. We are going to be rebuilding our depleted military. I am occasionally stopped by a young man or woman and they will ask questions (as they do) about the Marines.

I carry cards in my wallet from the local USMC recruiter and I will give one out with the advice to talk to them as they are the ones with the straight skinny. Doesn't take but a second, but if I can get just ONE quality person into the Corps, it's a good thing. For me, for them, and for the country.

Semper Fi til the day that I die.

madinfidel
11-14-16, 03:14 PM
Something that I have always wondered was every once in a while when I was a young Marine I would on occasion run into a WW2/Korean era vet and a lot of those guys would always say " Semper Fi Mac" I always wondered what the meaning for this was. Was Mac a common moniker for men whose names you didn't know but they knew you were a Marine? Haven't heard it in years but it always seemed real personal when a older Marine was departing from the bar.

Haddock
11-14-16, 03:39 PM
Back in the day -- 1960s and before -- no one wore a name tag (as they do in the Army, for example). "Mac" was a convenient generic name when one Marine might not know another's name or rank.

Some say it was from a career planning/reenlistment poster of the 1960s, but that would have been a holdover from the WWII (Rough out, brown boot Old Corps) Marines.

You can call any Marine "Mac" (male or female) and they'll answer to it. At least the older generations. Not sure about now, I've been out of the loop for a while.

To the best of my knowledge, the bulldog mascot at MCRD Parris Island is always named "Mac" and has been for decades and generations of dogs. However, I don't believe (IMO) the name is specific to PI Marines.

madinfidel
11-14-16, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I've only been out for about a year and I never heard it since about the mid nineties. I always wondered though. Thanks Semper Fi