PDA

View Full Version : Survival Tactics For Marine Boot Camp

thedrifter
08-26-02, 11:28 AM
1. Avoid eye contact. (It's harder for a Drill Instructor to intimidate you if you're looking past or through him!)

2. Bear in mind that no matter how traumatic things seem Boot Camp is only Temporary. In fifteen or sixteen years it will seem like a dimly-remembered cruel joke.

3. Trying your damnedest to achieve something is often more impressive than actually achieving it. Drill Instructors look for motivation and spirit more than anything else. Show it to them and they'll be happy.

4. Don't volunteer for anything.

5. Keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open.

6.. Never, ever, ask a Drill Instructor "Why?"

7.. Never smile at or near or within sight of a Drill Instructor.

8. When you have to say something to a Drill Instructor, make sure your words are of the one or two syllable variety.

9.. Eat quickly in the mess halls.

10. Begin and end every sentence with the word "sir" (i.e., "Sir the Private requests permission to speak, sir!" or "Sir, yes, sir!").

11. When you speak, speak loudly.

12. Avoid personal pronouns ("I," "me," "you," "they," "we") when speaking to Drill Instructors.

13. Reserve duty outside of boot camp is nothing like active duty during boot camp.

14. Don't question for one minute your decision to enlist in the Marines. It's too late to do anything about it now and it's not a productive train of thought.

15. Don't get sick.

16. Stay awake during the classes. You don't want the attention Drill Instructors lavish upon dozing recruits.

Ajm81
08-13-03, 08:57 PM
may I ask why a person should not volunteer in boot camp? I heard it could help a person gain a stripe when graduted?

gwladgarwr
08-13-03, 09:10 PM
It's important to avoid "volunteering" for anything because rather making it look as if you are a "team player", you end up looking like a kiss-ass instead. Your DI will "volunteer" you when you demonstrate leadership, capability, motivation, and initiative. Raising your hand all the time when the DI asks for volunteers will only make your fellow recruits think you're kissing the DI's butt.

You can make PFC when you graduate and even LCpl if you are platoon honor grad, but I wouldn't recommend the volunteering part in order to get that extra stripe. Take the initiative and do what's necessary for yourself AND for the platoon, especially when not prompted by the DI's and ALSO when they are not looking or when they did not ask. They will notice who does what - they will also note that you did not "blow your own horn" to get their attention.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-13-03, 11:35 PM
Well said! I don't know about NEVER being one to raise your hand, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. That being said, sometimes you just really need a break from what you are doing, and the crap job they give you may be a welcome bit of relief. Hell, by the end of boot camp, it wasn't unusual for several of us to ask for IT, just to get out of scrubbing the dadgum rifles!

1oftheFew
08-15-03, 08:40 PM
More Survival Tactics For Marine Boot Camp.

Here's another one from Marine Corps Drill Instructors web site!

Things Never to say to a Drill Instructor

* My recruiter wanted me to tell you to be especially nice to me.

* I want my mommy.

*Okay, you can stop yelling anytime you want.

* I can't wait to graduate and be a real soldier!

* I should've joined the Navy.

* You want me to do what?

* Dude.

* My Mom (or Recruiter) said you aren't allowed to swear at me.

* Where's my stress card?

(I stand corrected, always associated with being

a "Army thing" but apparently actually

a "Navy thing" , had a very nasty guestbook entry

because of this!)

* I'm a reservist and I'm just doing this for college money.

* I'm going to be an MP.

* Yes, Drill Sergeant! (definite NO NO!)

Semper Fi,
Jeff

Sender
08-16-03, 01:04 AM
The best advice I received before I went to Recruit training was from my Brother, a former Marine. He told me, "Shut the F**K up and do what the Drill Instructor's tell you to do and do it as fast as humanly possible." Remember this and you should do alright.

Seeley
08-16-03, 01:37 AM
Sender,

That's probably some of the best advice anyone could have given :)

Chain Breaker
08-16-03, 01:58 AM
Can you give me any advice on the crucible?

MAJMike
08-18-03, 11:40 AM
The Crucible, like any other aspect of boot camp, is as much mental as it is physical. If the mind leads, the body will follow.

If you keep telling yourself that " You (I) CAN do this," you will.

Don't think of the Crucible or any other training exercise in the big picture. Break it down into small tasks, and mentally check off that you've accomplished each of these tasks. (I'm going to walk to the top of that hill.)
Success breeds further success. Whether it is one hour or one day into the Crucible, you will have "success" to reflect upon, NOT what comes next, or that there's another two days of this.

TheJester
08-18-03, 12:46 PM
I can tell you from personal experiance that if you have done everything you were told (i.e. hydration, maintaing a high level of physical fitness, etc) by your Drill Instructors you will do fine at the Crucible. We didn't have one person in my platoon get injured, or anything else. The hunger and sleep deprivation is easily combated by the intense amount of motivation each recruit has. In short just do what you are supposed to do and you will be fine.

Chain Breaker
08-18-03, 02:11 PM
Thanks, MAJMike, and TheJester. :)

I just have one more question: What can I do while I am a civilian, that will help me when I become a Marine?

Seeley
08-18-03, 02:31 PM
Chain Breaker,

Talk to your Marine Corps recruiter ;)

Chain Breaker
08-19-03, 02:00 AM
Heh, Will do, as soon as I get state side again. :)

cjdoyle
08-19-03, 03:21 AM
Chain Breaker
depends on where you are at exactally there are recurters every where in one shape or form

Chain Breaker
08-19-03, 05:10 AM
I am in Aviano Air Base Italy. But I will be moving back to the states in a few weeks.

Patrick8605
08-19-03, 12:10 PM
If your looking for advice on what you can do to become a Marine...Read through A LOT of the threads here and that should help you.

Chain Breaker
08-19-03, 01:13 PM
Well the thing is that I still have a few years to go before I can become a Marine. So I was wondering, if there was anything I could do now, that would help me when I become a Marine.

Thanks.

Seeley
08-19-03, 04:18 PM
Chain Breaker,

1. Finish school
2. Stay away from drugs
3. Read up lots
4. Work out (run, pull-ups, push-ups, cruches)
5. Stay motivated!

Lake0300
08-19-03, 09:28 PM
Chain Breaker,

Seeley covered the basics. But if all you do for the next 2 years is read these forums then thats one heck of a start. You'll notice the fine line of respect showen from Poolees to former and active duty Marines. SHOW THAT SAME RESPECT. Granted you're pretty young, and your choice of future career is likely to change. I was 13-14 and knew exactly what I wanted to do (Marines) and look at me now. For now, keep your head level on your shoulders and support the Men and Women who are headed out. Any other Q's just ask!

Chain Breaker
08-20-03, 02:54 AM
Thanks, guys you been a great help.

BTW, If I ever Disrespect any of you Marines, just let me know.

Seeley
08-21-03, 05:26 PM
Chain Breaker,

I'm sure they will let you know and it won't be pretty. Just don't take it as an insult if you get yelled at for doing something wrong even if you didn't know you did it wrong. It happens and you just need to admit that you did a wrong and learn from it.

Chain Breaker
08-22-03, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Seeley
Chain Breaker,

I'm sure they will let you know and it won't be pretty. Just don't take it as an insult if you get yelled at for doing something wrong even if you didn't know you did it wrong. It happens and you just need to admit that you did a wrong and learn from it.

Yea, I didnt think yall would ask to yell at me. ;)
But just have a reason(don't even have to be a good one ;) ) and I wont mind. :D

Apache
09-11-03, 04:21 PM
Afirimative on do what you know is right without being told.Even when leaders are not watching!(novel idea?)respond with energy and positiveness always.Remember,they can kill you but they can't eat you!(They get demerits)

firstsgtmike
09-11-03, 08:02 PM
Integrity is what you do when you know no one is watching.

It is also what you do when you don't care who is watching.

(Scratching your butt may be an exception to rule #2.)

JChristin
09-12-03, 01:45 PM
In line with what FirstSgtMike said:

The measure of a person's real character is:

"What they would do if they knew -

they would never be found out."

author unknown.

Another one:

"Watch what people are cynical about,
and one can often discover
what they lack."

Harry Emerson Fosick, author.

semper fi,
jchristin

Caesar Augustus
09-14-03, 09:35 PM
Has anyone read tom clancys book about the MEU?

Rufe
09-14-03, 10:27 PM
I own the book but I havent read through it yet

Megan75
01-06-09, 12:26 AM
So I am a female who wants to join the marines. I have been in the young marines for almost a year now. Is that good? Is it really going to help me for the marines? And is there anything else besides what you have been saying on here that I should know. I will be leaving in about a year mabey a little longer.

Thanks.

Megan75
01-06-09, 12:34 AM
I am a female who is going to join the marines. I also in the young marines. Should I stay in? Will it help me in the prepare for the marines? I only have about a year mabey longer before i leave is there anything else i should know that you have not posted on here? What about physical requirements?

usmcmsf
01-06-09, 12:43 AM
Megan75,

You wrote the same question twice in different ways and got both of them wrong.

NicholasITALY
01-06-09, 05:55 AM
I am a female who is going to join the marines. I also in the young marines. Should I stay in? Will it help me in the prepare for the marines? I only have about a year mabey longer before i leave is there anything else i should know that you have not posted on here? What about physical requirements?

The words Marine;Marines;Marine Corps ARE ALWAYS capitalized.

Drill for life
01-06-09, 03:55 PM
Chain Breaker,

1. Finish school
2. Stay away from drugs
3. Read up lots
4. Work out (run, pull-ups, push-ups, cruches)
5. Stay motivated!

You also forgot Gangs, Wrong Friend, Bad influences, and Bad Women:bunny:

Drill for life
01-06-09, 04:01 PM

It could, it depends on how you see it. JROTC,YM,NSCC,CAP and all other Cadet programs main goal is to teach you to be Better Citizens. Just learn form your instructors and the Cadets who Graduated form Basic. If you make above YM/Sergeant you will graduate a PFC from boot also. I am a C/1Lt in AJROTC so aske me any JROTC or Cadet questions Megan75.

Megan75
01-06-09, 04:04 PM
I'm not that great with computers. I usually don't have time. I was trying to figure it out and what do you mean I got both wrong?

ZSKI
01-06-09, 04:13 PM
* I'm a reservist and I'm just doing this for college money.

Jeff

ha what money?

Megan75
01-06-09, 04:13 PM
Thanks. Well I just made LCpl. and this summer I am hoping to get accepted into JLS.
Is there any websites that would help me out?

Wyoming
01-06-09, 04:58 PM
From post 76, above -
You also forgot Gangs, Wrong Friend, Bad influences, and Bad Women:bunny:

OK Drill for life, you wanna **** with me, **** with me. You wanna correct my posts, correct the **** away. You wanna be a wise ass and add to my posts, add the **** away.

But lemme tell you, you ever get cutsy on one of Seeleys posts again, you won't be able to stand the rain of **** that is gonna fall upon your head.

Seeley -
<DT class=shade>Military Biography </DT>Enlisted at 17. Blown up at 19. Retired at 21.

He joined this site in '02. What were you doing, still ****ting yellow and sucking teat?

This little tirade of mine may well indeed get me busted, but I'll be dammed if you **** around anymore with a Marine.

Zulu 36
01-06-09, 07:17 PM
From post 76, above -

OK Drill for life, you wanna **** with me, **** with me. You wanna correct my posts, correct the **** away. You wanna be a wise ass and add to my posts, add the **** away.

But lemme tell you, you ever get cutsy on one of Seeleys posts again, you won't be able to stand the rain of **** that is gonna fall upon your head.

Seeley -
<dt class="shade">Military Biography </dt>Enlisted at 17. Blown up at 19. Retired at 21.

He joined this site in '02. What were you doing, still ****ting yellow and sucking teat?

This little tirade of mine may well indeed get me busted, but I'll be dammed if you **** around anymore with a Marine.

This kid just doesn't get it. Don't care what he's done, how many play ribbons he has, don't care how many color details he's done. I agree fully, he has zero standing to trash any Marine, especially Seeley. Seeley has done more before age 19 than most people do all their life.

biesseb
01-07-09, 12:32 AM
Speaking of the Crucible, I Never thought I would make it up the Reaper. Got up to the first shelf, looked left and saw about 6 or 7 more and was convinced I was done right then and there. I think at full strength it wouldn't be that bad because MCT hills are far worse but after the beating your body has taken it's the hardest thing ever.

bstinnett09
01-07-09, 02:51 PM
Speaking of the Crucible, I Never thought I would make it up the Reaper. Got up to the first shelf, looked left and saw about 6 or 7 more and was convinced I was done right then and there. I think at full strength it wouldn't be that bad because MCT hills are far worse but after the beating your body has taken it's the hardest thing ever.

Is the Reaper the erection of platforms stacked on top of each other that you basically have to just lift yourself from one to the next?

zramey
01-08-09, 06:36 AM
O son you got a surprise coming your way. If the reaper were what you thought then there would be millions of more Marines. The Reaper is the meanest, most unforgiving pile of dirt that the Lord put on this Earth. It's about 6 or so hills that go straight up into the sky. In order for you to earn your title of United States Marine then you must hump those hills with a pack on your back that weighs about half of what you weigh. I'm not gonna lie to you son, it's gonna take everything you got and then some in order for you to make it. But don't let that demoralize you. Thousands of men have come before you and made that hump and you're gonna make it too. Keep putting one boot down in front of the other and don't think about how much you wanna quit. Conquering that big bastard will mark the end of all the hollering and going out to the pit at 0500 and will make you an equal to your drill instructors. I promise you that you can make it and I have faith in you. Now go out there and fetch your own title devil pup.

0231Marine
01-08-09, 08:16 AM
http://www.marines.cc/images/stories/articles/reap3.jpg

Among the coastal hills at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif., the Reaper rises from purgatory and ascends toward a promised land where every Marine recruit on the West Coast wants to be.

Each man can see his title from the crest of the Reaper.

At 700 feet, it climbs approximately 150 feet higher than Mount Suribachi, the famed Iwo Jima volcano upon which five Marines and one sailor hoisted the American flag in 1945 during bloody World War II fighting. Though smaller, that volcano's spirit oozes through the Reaper's veins like magma.

Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego recruits traditionally contend that by marching together to the summit. They tip the scales in boot camp comparisons with MCRD Parris Island, S.C., which has its own trials but no discerning landmark like the Reaper.

After hiking about seven miles in the Crucible's final hours - culminating the 54-hour severe test of will - recruits approach the Reaper's scythe exhausted and hungry. Sleep and food have been minimal, but a warrior's breakfast sizzles beyond the summit.

Dawn breaks and daylight exposes the challenge ahead: a third of a mile with an average incline of 25 degrees. On paper, the climb draws out like a suspension cable ascending a Golden Gate Bridge tower.

"This is nothing. It's a hill," said a I Company drill instructor to his platoon waiting at the base. "We don't stop until we reach the top of the hill. We never stop, because there is no top!"

On the Crucible, drill instructors give recruits time to change into a fresh pair of socks and check their feet for any wounds or blisters. With packs and rifles weighing them down, the company steps off by platoons in one-minute intervals. They stay formed as tight as possible, each man whittling his distance to the top. Hopes dim as the morning fog thickens in the ascent. Pack straps dig deep into shoulders and boots hit the dirt harder. Platoons start to spread out as drill instructors shepherd formations.

A few brief plateaus taunt the climbers until they approach the last stretch and surge to the top.

At the peak, the recruits find pictures of Medal of Honor recipients mounted in wooden frames and drill instructors congratulate the men on their accomplishment. After marching almost 40 miles, the Crucible is over. With a couple more miles back to garrison, it's all downhill from there.

bstinnett09
01-08-09, 12:48 PM
Wow. I had never heard of that. Thank you very much for setting me straight, and for the words of encouragement. I look forward to being able to conquer the challenge of the Reaper.

Gunner614
04-25-09, 08:01 PM
Bump

Good read.