PDA

View Full Version : Ships

SGT7477
01-07-12, 10:18 PM
When a ship is sitting in the water, is there just as much of the ship under water than is in plan view, our boss at work says it is, I myself can't believe that after coming from Pearl Harbor? Semper Fidelis.:flag:

Quinbo
01-07-12, 10:22 PM
Have a look at the janes manual for the constellation ;)

Go visit a dry dock. It is amazing to see a boat as big as a sky scraper out of water.

Zulu 36
01-08-12, 02:35 AM
When a ship is sitting in the water, is there just as much of the ship under water than is in plan view, our boss at work says it is, I myself can't believe that after coming from Pearl Harbor? Semper Fidelis.:flag:

It depends on how loaded the ship is (displacement), thus how far down in the water she is sitting. Most warships will not have as much underwater as above, cargo ships sit lower. As Quinbo suggested, look up photos of ships in drydock and you can easily see the standard waterline for that vessel.

Mongoose
01-08-12, 08:44 AM
I'm at my sons, in Wa. state. He's stationed here in the Navy. There's a area where there are 4 aircraft carriers sitting side by side. I had never seen one except on t.v. It's unbelievable how big those suckers are.

SGT7477
01-08-12, 09:52 AM
I can tell you there was a ship at Pearl Harbor that had to have way more sitting on top of the water than below because they say the harbor is only 40 feet deep and that wasn't a war ship, so bosses can be wrong,lol,Semper Fidelis.

Quinbo
01-08-12, 09:58 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/USS_Ronald_Reagan_Bulbous_Bow.jpg

Phantom Blooper
01-08-12, 09:59 AM
You can go way down in the bilges of some ships....

Walk around the ships in the middle of the night and see a hatch open up ..... back in the 70's early 80's and see a fella stick his head out and he see the lights bouncing off the bulkhead with a greasy coffee cup in hand and greasy coveralls.....lookin' like Dracula boatswain mate.....wanted to go back down....but wanted a mug of coffee.....said the light hurt his eyes...wore shades...cause he slept and worked way down in the dark hole.....

Quinbo
01-08-12, 10:18 AM
Pearl harbor has submarines come in that are more that 40 feet tall with nothing showing about the water so reckon there a few spots that are a little deeper than 40 feet. Interestingly .... no war ships can enter pearl harbor under their own power. Pearl Harbor itself you are probably right. The really biggest ships and subs are docked somewhere else.

Zulu 36
01-08-12, 10:29 AM
Pearl harbor has submarines come in that are more that 40 feet tall with nothing showing about the water so reckon there a few spots that are a little deeper than 40 feet. Interestingly .... no war ships can enter pearl harbor under their own power. Pearl Harbor itself you are probably right. The really biggest ships and subs are docked somewhere else.

Nuke boats are one of the exceptions to the rule. More boat hull is under water than above. They aren't very fast on the surface, but they fly underwater.

Mongoose
01-08-12, 10:52 AM
Puget Sound Wa. is home to the Ohio class submarine. The 14 Trident 2 SSBN's submarines carry approximately 50% of the total American active inventory of strategic thermonuclear warheads.