PDA

View Full Version : Medicare part D???

YLDNDN6
01-06-12, 11:18 AM
Greetings and salutations,
I searched, and was unable to find where this may have been covered, so I will ask away. My mother-in-law turns 65 next month and her medicaid will convert to medicare. She is disabled due to a major stroke 5 years ago, and lives with my wife and I. We handle all of her affairs, and the Medicare part D issue has come up. I have been able to ascertain that she will be eligible for Low Income Subsidy (LIS), or what they call "Extra Help" due to only having $700.00 per month in disability income. I have found on the .gov pages that this will most likely pay her part D premiums, and other information has stated that she will have no gap (Donut) and no co-pays for her medications. She takes a slew of meds every day, and some of these would be quite costly without adequate insurance.

Question: What experiences have any of you, who may fall into the same category as her, had with the part D and LIS? If you are disabled, low income, and have part D coverage, are you paying for your meds, and if so, is it a small co-pay or is it a big chunk of change? Some of the meds she takes would wipe out her $700.00 on day one of the month if she hits the donut. I am really worried about this, and have yet to choose a part D carrier for her, as I have ZERO experience with this sort of thing. Please advise if you have a good part D carrier or can recommend one.

Thank you!

YLDNDN6
01-06-12, 01:30 PM
Outstanding! Come to think of it, she lived in a retirement community that offered those services. I'll check into that and get back with you if I come away empty handed. Thanks!

spotts
01-06-12, 01:56 PM
Was your father in law a verteran? She may be eligible for death pesnion benefits through the va.

YLDNDN6
01-07-12, 07:12 PM
No he wasn't. She says he couldn't get in because of a childhood farming accident which left him with a very noticible limp.