PDA

View Full Version : Older poolee question!

Charlton24
01-02-12, 04:36 PM
I go to San Diego in one week. And my question is, will it be a different experience mentally for me since I am 23 years old? I was going to do this out of High School, but let a girl talk me out of it. And I am tenfold times more mature than I was at 18.

*fixed title for ya*

Yonkers
01-02-12, 04:45 PM
You will have a bit more maturity than the others there, in theory at least. I went through boot with a 27 year old. You'll be on the same level as everyone else though, and you'll meet some people that are older than you too.

Good luck to ya.

Lisa 23
01-02-12, 05:25 PM
When my nephew went to boot camp in 2009, he was 25.......turned 26 half way through. Don't worry about it, you'll be just fine.

Tennessee Top
01-02-12, 06:25 PM
Mentally and emotionally you should be good-to-go.

How are you doing physically compared to the other poolees in your DEP?

Charlton24
01-02-12, 06:40 PM
Mentally and emotionally you should be good-to-go.

How are you doing physically compared to the other poolees in your DEP?Mile and half time: 10:03 is best, 16 pull ups, 108 sit ups in 2 mins. Not the best so to say out of my DEP, but permissable.

Charlton24
01-02-12, 06:48 PM
Thank you Sir! I'm not too nervous as of now, but I am sure soon enough I will be. And I will absolutely check out that thread.

lamanognr86
01-03-12, 09:08 AM
You should be fine. I was 23 with a bachelors degree when I went to boot camp. You will see a lot of immature ****, but you'll get over it.

Blutic
01-06-12, 06:57 AM
I went through PI when I was 22. I don't believe I was treated any different than the 17-19 year olds. Word of warning: don't buy alcohol for those underage when you are at MCT/SOI or MOS school.

IHaveEGA843
01-06-12, 08:20 PM
Brand new 1st of the year Marine here! Turned 25 during the receiving. Mentally its easy but physically I was broken off *for myself atleast*. You have to keep up with your younger counterparts and some of the younger Recruits are beast at PT. I struggled but I always made sure I put forth max effort at all times.

If you want any questions answered on this issue hit me up.

BurkeWorld
01-07-12, 10:24 PM
I was 28 when I went to the Island. I turn 29 in eight days from now. They kept calling me the "Grand old man of Charlie Co."

Sure I wasn't the fastest runner, but I sure as sin had much more maturity than some of the other guys in my platoon. That, and being older than 2 of my DI's was source of good IT and poking fun.

Bootcamp is what you make of it. Age shouldn't matter, becoming a Marine should be your focus.