PDA

View Full Version : Blood Stripes-chapultapec Or Uniform Regulations?

thedrifter
08-26-02, 10:57 AM
From the book, The Marines, by Edwin Howard Simmons, J. Robert Moskin, Marine Corps Heritage Foundation, 1998
"...For generations drill instructors have solemnly told recruits that the scarlet stripe on the blue trousers of Marine officers and noncommissioned officers are "blood stripes" in honor of Marines killed in storming of Chapultapec in Mexico City in 1847. Interesting but not true. The wearing of stripes on the trousers began in 1834, following the Army's practice of having trouser stripes the color of the facings. Col. Henderson prescribed buff-white stripes for officers and sergeants. When in 1839 the uniform changed back to dark blue coats faced red, officer trouser stripes became dark blue edged in red. Ten years later officer stripes changed to red and in 1859 the uniform regulations prescribed a scarlet welt inserted into the outer seam for officers, and a scarlet cord for staff noncommissioned officers and musicians. After more variations were tried, finally, in 1904 the simple and striking all-scarlet stripe was adopted..."

from gunny g's website....

mrbsox
08-26-02, 12:27 PM
SO...... if your going to adjust my history lessons, have you got anything on the Officer stripe being 1 inch wide, and the Enlisted stripe being 3/4 inch ?????

Also, does this mean getting the "blood stripe" pinned on, is now unconstitutional :p , I'd like to give a few back !!!!! :p

thedrifter
08-26-02, 12:57 PM
BABY BLUE MARINES <br />
<br />
Most Unique Marine Uniform! <br />
&quot;The most unique of Marine uniforms was reserved for men <br />
discharged for undesirability. Regulations required that <br />
personnel so discharged be...

thedrifter
08-26-02, 12:58 PM
BATTLE JACKET

(Battle Jacket, Not "Ike" Jacket)
"When the 1stMarine Division arrived from Guadalcanal in early
1943, it was issued the Australian battle dress blouse and
trousers, because of a shortage of forest green service uniforms.
The wool serge waist-length blouse was OD, termed khaki by the
Australians. It had pleated breast pockets, concealed pocket flap
and front closure buttons. Known as the 'Vandegrift', jacket
after the Division Commander, it proved popular. A US-made forest
green version was authorised for officers in December 1944and for
enlisted men in August 1945."
Re US Marine Corps 1941-45, by Gordon Rottman/Mike
Chappell, Osprey 1995.

Sempers,

Roger

from gunny g's website

thedrifter
10-04-06, 01:40 PM
Bump....

Ellie

drumcorpssnare
10-04-06, 02:09 PM
I've talked with two old Marines who remembered &quot;Baby Blues.&quot; If you got discharged for bed-wetting, homosexuality, or were just an incorrigible &quot;****-bird&quot;, you got off the bus, in your...

ggyoung
10-04-06, 05:06 PM
If I remember right the Corps had a different color of unifform for each kind of bad discharge.