PDA

View Full Version : Woodpecker Damage

thewookie
12-27-11, 10:32 AM
I'm looking for some help, or suggestions for a small problem I have with a woodpecker digging at my house. Seems I have a woodpecker that is either looking to nest, or searching for bugs, and in the process keeps digging into my house. I think it is just one bird. He/she/it is digging into the wood near my roof, the soffit/fascia board. I have read online that woodpeckers are a federally protected migratory species, and there is a 500 dollar fine for killing one. So, that is my last choice, but I am running out of options and patience.

My wife is home pregnant and when I come home each day she's screaming at me about birds digging in our house. Each time I go out to look, I find another hole, Which I proceed to fill in with that expanding insulating foam. But then the little bastard finds another spot and start digging again.

I'd love to set up a little hide and take the bastard out with my .308 :) or my .22LR -- but the neighbors might notice. So, I'm thinking about getting BB/Pelet gun and "discouraging" it from digging at my house. But the aforementioned $500 fine has me thinking.

Any idea's Leatherneck?

temarti
12-27-11, 10:53 AM
Here is a link, there seems to be a spray that may deter them.... other than that $500.00 or $5000.00 in repairs http://www.thewildlifeporch.com/2010/03/12/woodpeckers-away-from-your-house

FoxtrotOscar
12-27-11, 10:54 AM
Bird trap....

Tennessee Top
12-27-11, 10:56 AM
Cat that can jump really high.

Phantom Blooper
12-27-11, 11:00 AM
Hang reflective mirror tape or pie pans from the soffit....

Get a plastic owl and put on the gutter or roof....

Shoot em'

DanM
12-27-11, 11:32 AM
You just got spammed,guess they will go after MODS also even when you are online.

I have always had good luck with a couple suet feeders,we have Pileated Woodpeckers .

awbrown1462
12-27-11, 11:39 AM
use to have troubles with a woodpecker then found girls so left the knot holes alone
thy this site
http://www.ehow.com/how_2020946_rid-woodpecker.html

Ed Palmer
12-27-11, 11:47 AM
Just get a roll of 6 or 8 inch metal either tin or allum, and tack it in the area that they are getting in to.after you get throuhh paint it,
We used to havve that problem and that solved it.
Good luck

thewookie
12-27-11, 12:05 PM
*** I didn't mean to edit your last post, Ed. All these new squad leader powers I have and I didn't realize I hit "edit" instead of "quote" --> so here is my response:

I might try that. And some other good ideas here so far. But the problem is, it has dig through two different spots or each end of that part of the house/roof. Once I sealed up one end, it moved to the other end. So, If I were to use tin or allum based on that -- a good portion of my house would look like the space shuttle :)

I think I'm going to buy a pellet/BB gun and just "scare" it, you know with some warning shots -- right near it's head :)

But, being a non-violent person, I'm open to other methods.....

SGT7477
12-27-11, 12:26 PM
I guess my 50cal. is out of the question,lol, Semper Fidelis.

Ed Palmer
12-27-11, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=thewookie;828673
I think I'm going to buy a pellet/BB gun and just "scare" it, you know with some warning shots -- right near it's head :)

But, being a non-violent person, I'm open to other methods.....[/QUOTE]

Well if your going to get desperate try a little C-4

Quinbo
12-27-11, 12:39 PM
Wood peckers don't just randomly peck holes in chit. You got bugs my friend. That little birdie is doing you a favor by eating the termites that are eating your house. Get rid of the termites and the bird will go away.

thewookie
12-27-11, 12:45 PM
I was just texting back and forth with the guy I went to bootcamp with on the buddy program, and he said when he was a kid his step-father took one out with his .22.

I think I might need to confirm my coldbore zero one time before I consider that route. :confused:

I'm more comfortable with a BB/pelet gun (to scare it, of course) but I know my .22 would work nice, and spare me from buying bb/pelet gun.

The bird is fearless. Yesterday I had the day off so I was home doing yard-work, and I heard him digging on the house. So, I went over to the new spot he's at and started yelling at it. :) It didn't look too concerned with me and only flew away a few feet to another small tree I have in my yard. So, of course being the stubborn Jarhead I am I followed after it, yelling the whole time (my neighbors think I'm nutz anyway) but the bird just looked at me for a good second or two and then flew away. only to return later.

Needless to say, I don't think this bird is going to learn the easy way.

So, like my DI's always said -- with pain comes improvement. :usmc:

thewookie
12-27-11, 12:47 PM
Wood peckers don't just randomly peck holes in chit. You got bugs my friend. That little birdie is doing you a favor by eating the termites that are eating your house. Get rid of the termites and the bird will go away.

True. But I have read online today that it might not be limited to that. But that was the first thing the guy at the local hardware store said: bugs. That's okay, I'll deal with the bird, then the bugs. ;)

Quinbo
12-27-11, 01:01 PM
So if your car has a flat tire you'll start by changing the oil. I get it .

You play your cards aweful close to your chest. Didn't know you had a wife in a family way. Congrats on that!

thewookie
12-27-11, 01:06 PM
So if your car has a flat tire you'll start by changing the oil. I get it .

You play your cards aweful close to your chest. Didn't know you had a wife in a family way. Congrats on that!

1. Yeah, good point.

2. Yeah, nice catch. God willing, my son Vincent will be born 1/4/2012 (that is his due date) -- 40 years and 3 days after his Father. :) Thanks!

ChuckH
12-27-11, 01:36 PM
2. Yeah, nice catch. God willing, my son Vincent will be born 1/4/2012 (that is his due date) -- 40 years and 3 days after his Father.

Good day... My daughter was born on 1/4...

rb1651
12-27-11, 01:59 PM
I had the same problem last year. Used a trick my Dad taught me, and that was getting a couple of those wooden owls that you can buy at a craft store that has the wings that will spin in the breeze. I put on close to each end of the house where the little 'peckers were pecking, and it took care of the problem.

Mongoose
12-27-11, 02:03 PM
Most counties in the U.S. have what is called Government trappers. They will catch animals protected by state or Federal laws, that are causing damage to your property. Free of charge. It's their...

Phantom Blooper
12-27-11, 04:24 PM
Plant you an "Ash" tree....

Then it would be da' best peice of "Ash" he ever put his pecker in.

Marine84
12-27-11, 05:36 PM
Congrats on the upcoming birth!

Yeah, soon as I read "woodpecker" and "house" in the same sentence, I knew there would be a "bug" in there somewhere. Call Orkin first, if he ain't got that food supply no more, he'll leave. First time he comes back once the food is gone, you should stand out there and point and laugh at his a$$! Hey! The neighbors already think you're crazy!

SlingerDun
12-27-11, 06:59 PM
Cracker shells. Woody ain't too smart, even if BB's are whipping past and stirring up the air. It takes a loud blast, i've witnessed them banging on metal lifetime gates for hours trying to attract a poke, they don't much care about bb's and pellets

Marine1955
12-27-11, 07:24 PM
I had the same problem last year. Used a trick my Dad taught me, and that was getting a couple of those wooden owls that you can buy at a craft store that has the wings that will spin in the breeze. I put on close to each end of the house where the little 'peckers were pecking, and it took care of the problem.

I like your idea the best so far and I believe it's the best advice he can get for free..

sgtjimh
12-27-11, 07:33 PM
shoot, shovel, shut up. works on all types of unwanted critters

recon532002
12-27-11, 09:20 PM
Reside with Aluminum

DocGreek
12-27-11, 10:40 PM
"The only thing worse than a 'tin-tit', is a "WOOD PECKER"!!!

acg8276
12-27-11, 10:58 PM
"The only thing worse than a 'tin-tit', is a "WOOD PECKER"!!!

That's not what she said.

m14ed
12-28-11, 03:47 AM
look at all these new "Squad Leaders"

Must be a Convention ??????? or
How Many Marines does it take to get rid of an OWL ?????

Rooger
12-28-11, 05:54 AM

Well Ed you know how it is! All these Chiefs and very few Indians!!!:bunny:

silverdollar
12-28-11, 05:56 AM
Why not just put up a sign, " No Birds ".

thewookie
12-28-11, 06:59 AM
Here is an update. After finding the most recent hole and not having any foam on hand, I took a garage rag and soaked it in gas. Then I stuck the gas soaked rag in the hole. So, far so good. But that is a temporary fix until I decide on something permanent.

I'm going to look into professional removal like Mongoose suggested, and see where it goes from there. But, if I come home today and the bastard has dug a new spot -- all bets might be off.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really like siverdollar's suggestion and might try that anyway ;)

I'll try and post a pic later when I have some time.

SGT7477
12-28-11, 08:47 AM

Welcome to the real world,Semper Fidelis.:D

Cpl Heglar
12-28-11, 08:52 AM
I'd pop it with my 410. Nobody enforces the bird laws, Nobody. My neighbors kid was shooting our state bird the Cardinal through his kitchen window, My wife called me crying. I called every state agency that told me to call the other to no avail. Nothing was ever done beside his mom lecturing me for calling her at work.

sparkie
12-28-11, 09:13 AM
I'm late on this pecker problem but in my experience moth balls drive away a whole lotta types of pests. How you hang em up there, I have no idea.

FoxtrotOscar
12-28-11, 09:45 AM
Meanwhile as Wookie ponders his Woodpecker problem, the gas soaked rag remains in place, the local kid is playing with some matches and manages to ignite that gas soaked rag....

Wookie returns home to see the fire department putting out a small blaze on his roof... smoke/water damage are some major issues...

And that pesky woodpecker continues to find another location...:scared:

thewookie
12-28-11, 10:43 AM
the gas soaked rag remains in place

I know, not the brightest solution, I know. :)

David R 1968
12-28-11, 10:46 AM
Sparkie, how you cut the balls off first of all ?

recon532002
12-28-11, 12:07 PM
We You have a good Start to a Molitov Cocktail Hope I spelled it Right.:)

m14ed
12-28-11, 12:29 PM
Quick,, While it still smells like gasoline,,, toss a FuzeE/aka/road flare at it..
IF you're lucky , he'll get his feathers sindged off, and either die of fright or Exposure..
Maybe you're home will survive the fire and maybe you wont be procecuted for ARSON.
Good luck getting your insurance company to pay for the damage though.

IF we kick this right and in the right places, we might hijack this thread and have more laughs than we had with that Mystical Tattoo

PS: on my first post , i was laughing so hard , i friggin confused an owl with a woodpecker.
Good luck with it , HappyNewYear and SemperFidelis Marines

thewookie
12-28-11, 12:39 PM
We You have a good Start to a Molitov Cocktail Hope I spelled it Right.:)

This can't be flameable,, all the way up there???? ;)

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae359/thewookie_photos/2011-12-27_15-30-25_826-Copy.jpg

SlingerDun
12-28-11, 03:18 PM
city dudes

YLDNDN6
12-29-11, 12:48 AM
Wood pecker damage??? Why didn't you make it out of a more durable material?

Sgt Leprechaun
12-29-11, 02:33 AM
1: The pecker is looking for tiny bugs that are in your wood. Yeah, yeah I know LOL. The good news is, they aren't, as a rule, termites.

2: Water hose. Spray the little bugger EVERY time you see him. No matter what he's doing, douse him. It's fun, and it'll take a couple dozen shots, but it'll work. Super soaker if you don't use the hose, they work just as well.

Trucrimsongold
12-29-11, 07:17 AM
I'm looking for some help, or suggestions for a small problem I have with a woodpecker digging at my house. Seems I have a woodpecker that is either looking to nest, or searching for bugs, and in the process keeps digging into my house. I think it is just one bird. He/she/it is digging into the wood near my roof, the soffit/fascia board. I have read online that woodpeckers are a federally protected migratory species, and there is a 500 dollar fine for killing one. So, that is my last choice, but I am running out of options and patience.

My wife is home pregnant and when I come home each day she's screaming at me about birds digging in our house. Each time I go out to look, I find another hole, Which I proceed to fill in with that expanding insulating foam. But then the little bastard finds another spot and start digging again.

I'd love to set up a little hide and take the bastard out with my .308 :) or my .22LR -- but the neighbors might notice. So, I'm thinking about getting BB/Pelet gun and "discouraging" it from digging at my house. But the aforementioned $500 fine has me thinking.

Any idea's Leatherneck?

Do what any Marine would do and here is the link: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/70280-55.html
If you are worried about the noise buy 22shorts they sound like a pelet gun when they are fired you just have to shoot them one at a time because the shorts don't have enough explosion to cycle the next round in a semi..

thewookie
12-29-11, 07:20 AM
city dudes

True, true. If I lived a little more in the woods, or in the "country", I wouldn't be talking about this problem.

thewookie
12-29-11, 07:22 AM
Why didn't you make it out of a more durable material?

My house? Wood is pretty normal here on the East coast, some brick and stucco here and there, but wood is the norm.

What were you thinking, kevlar? :p

thewookie
12-29-11, 07:23 AM
Do what any Marine would do and here is the link: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/70280-55.html
If you are worried about the noise buy 22shorts they sound like a pelet gun when they are fired you just have to shoot them one at a time because the shorts don't have enough explosion to cycle the next round in a semi..

You really don't pay attention much before you post, do you. You just say what you want, I get it. I have a .22 -- pay attention. You even quoted me saying that.

YLDNDN6
12-29-11, 08:34 PM
My house? Wood is pretty normal here on the East coast, some brick and stucco here and there, but wood is the norm.

What were you thinking, kevlar? :p
A play on words...I took woodpecker and made it into two words..wood pecker, thus insinuating that you may have a wooden you know what....sorry...bad joke!

thewookie
12-30-11, 07:06 AM
A play on words...I took woodpecker and made it into two words..wood pecker, thus insinuating that you may have a wooden you know what....sorry...bad joke!

I got it now, easy on the tough jokes -- we're all Jarheads here ;)

acg8276
12-30-11, 07:33 AM
I have a friend that has a woodpecker land on his chimney cap occasionally and peck away for about 10 minutes. Makes a nice machine gun kind of sound.

So is the gas soaked rag doing the job? If not get your BB gun out and give the thing a shot in the ass everytime you see it. It'll get tired of being stung and you won't get in any trouble with the Game Commision. Spring loaded BB gun won't have enough power to hurt it and if you have one of the pump BB guns just give it 2 pumps.

thewookie
12-30-11, 09:44 AM
So is the gas soaked rag doing the job?

So far, it actually is. I'm sure the gas has dried, but the smell is working. Gotta half day today, so I'm going to the range after work, going to confirm my zero. Just in case.

montana
12-30-11, 10:16 AM
neibor lady asked me one day if i knewhow to get the woodpecker to stop chippin away at her house....didnt know if she was a bird lover or not i said i had heard they make owl lookin things that mite scare them off....she sorta mumbled something ...so i said i do have a 20 gage shotgun...she said that was sorta the way she was leaning...so i lent her my 20 gage and a few rounds....cupple days later i hear a shot......cupple weeks later i run into her and asked if she had solved the problem...yes she sed ...one shot one woodpecker...i was real carefull how i behaved around her till i got my shotgun back from her
have a friend here that when we were growing up used to make fun of my last name....wasnt a good idea sense his last name was woodcock...i called him ceederpeter once...we had a fight and stoped makin fun of each others last names...are still friends