PDA

View Full Version : Proud Arkanasan...

FoxtrotOscar
12-26-11, 02:32 PM
Copper Wire Discovered
After having dug to a depth of 10 feet last year outside of New York City, New Yorkscientists found traces of copper cable dating back 100 years. They came to the conclusion that their ancestors already had a telephone network more than 100 years ago.

Not to be outdone by the New Yorkers, in the weeks that followed, a Los Angeles , Californiaarchaeologist dug to a depth of 20 feet somewhere just outside Oceanside. Shortly after, a story in the LA Times read: " Californiaarchaeologists report a finding of 200 year old copper cable, have concluded that their ancestors already had an advanced high-tech communications network a hundred years earlier than the New Yorkers."

One week later, a local newspaper in Mountain Home, Arkansas. reported the following: "After digging down about 30 feet deep in his pasture near the community of Edgewood Bay, Bubba, a self-taught archaeologist, reported that he found absolutely nothing. Bubba has therefore concluded that 300 years ago, Arkansas had already gone wireless".

Just makes a person proud to be from Arkansas.

TMM54
12-26-11, 04:14 PM
My best friend is from Mena, Arkansas, and he will love this gem.

He has plenty of Arkansas stories, and here is my favorite:

Steve's (my friend) grandfather had a filling (gas) station in Mena when he grew up, and he was very hard of hearing. This was 50 years ago, and the gas station attendants used to fill you tank, wipe your windows, check your oil and tires, and they carried a wisk broom to brush out your seats and floorboard of your car. Used to be great service in those days.

Anyway, a woman pulled into the station and asked Steve's grandfather "Do you have a restroom?" He thought she said "Do you have a wisk broom?".

He told her "No, someone borrowed it, but pull your car up by the garage and I will blow it out with the air hose!"

I love Okie and Arkansas stories!

linda1945
12-26-11, 08:11 PM
LOL from an Arkansasan who used to live down by Mena

CPL GG
12-26-11, 08:17 PM
LOL! From the NW corner of Arkansas

linda1945
12-26-11, 08:20 PM
LOL! From the NW corner of Arkansas

Yep! NW Ark. Lived in Waldron for 13 yr.

CPL GG
12-26-11, 08:43 PM
Alpena here