PDA

View Full Version : Devildocs raise pulses during exercise

thedrifter
11-06-03, 06:34 AM
Devildocs raise pulses during exercise

Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 200311521510
Story by Cpl. Ryan D. Libbert

CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa, Japan(Oct. 23, 2003) -- Medical Battalion, 3rd Force Service Support Group participated in the six-day training exercise Autumn Endeavor at the Central Training Area Oct. 19-24.

The purpose of the exercise is to give corpsmen and Marines from the battalion a chance to practice life-saving medical skills under a simulated combat environment, explained Navy Capt. David R. Davis, battalion commander.

"This exercise will test the logistical and operational means of the battalion," Davis said. "We are here to make sure all our equipment can operate in the field and to make sure we can accomplish any mission given to us."

The battalion was divided into its respective companies to perform the different tasks a standard medical battalion will likely face during combat operations.

Company B was responsible for setting up the surgical side of the field hospital. Using a number of tools like sutures, scalpels and stethoscopes, the Corpsmen and doctors provided care for a number of simulated casualties.

Surgical company was tasked to set up the Forward Resuscitative Surgical Suite, or FRSS. The FRSS is a new approach to conduct field medicine using a rapidly deployable surgical and intensive care unit and placing it closer to the battlefront. It was used for the first time in Operation Iraqi Freedom but corpsmen from 3rd Medical Battalion used it for the first time during Autumn Endeavor to practice for possible future contingencies.

Headquarters and Service Company supported the rest of the battalion by providing logistics support to the exercise. Sailors and Marines from H&S Co. provided and coordinated transportation through tactical vehicles and CH-53E Super Stallion Helicopters. The company also provided the shock trauma platoon whose mission is to stabilize patients before they are evacuated to a field hospital further in the rear area.

The abilities of the Marines and Sailors to meet the demanding operational tempo have been very successful according to Davis.

"I'm very proud of the effort and dedication the Sailors and Marines in the battalion have given me," Davis, a veteran of the Vietnam Conflict said. "I believe some of the most motivated corpsmen in the Navy are right here in 3rd Med. Battalion."

Corpsmen like Seaman Jason M. Delmarco, are equally proud of their performance as well.

"I think we've all done a great job so far in the exercise," Delmarco said. "There haven't been very many obstacles we haven't overcome so far. I feel confidant in the battalion's abilities during war."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200311621145/$file/AUTEND-01low.jpg

Petty Officer 1st Class (FMF) Stanley Scott checks the vital signs on Lance Cpl. Brad A. Salitzer during Exercise Autumn Endeavor '03. Navy corpsmen and Marines from 3rd Medical Battalion, 3rd Force Service Support Group took part in the six-day exercise Oct. 19 - 24. Photo by: Cpl. Ryan D. Libbert

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/E3B105A2FAFE3F3B85256DD6000B75A7?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: