PDA

View Full Version : Active Duty Christmas Stories

USNAviator
12-19-11, 11:48 AM
Christmas is 6 days away and I was thinking about my favorite Christmas while I was serving.

I had just returned to Whidbey Island NAS preparing for another deployment. My wife and two daughters were back in JAX NAS area and I had just wrapped up a two year shore duty. Having said my goodbyes to my then 3 and 4 yo daughters I knew I wouldn't be seeing them until June or July.But Santa or God had been watching out for me. My CO and XO asked if I'd like 48 hours back home to celebrate Christmas. I left early Christmas Eve flew all night via MATC landing around 06:30 Christmas morning. No advanced noticed, I simply walked in the house while they were opening presents. To this day I can still see the smiles and tears on everyones faces. Santa had delivered Daddy home, even if for only a short time

My wife has since passed away but my two grown girls still talk about that morning. But now it's my turn to shed a few tears

Thanks for listening to this old squid and please feel free to share your stories

Fair winds Marines and Merry Christmas

awbrown1462
12-19-11, 12:15 PM
In the 8 yrs I was in I only missed two not at home both times I was in Oki. all other times I was stationed in CA where I was from so I really do not have any good stories but that I was at home for most

Mongoose
12-19-11, 01:45 PM
I had 3 Christmas's away from home, while in the Corps. One in boot camp, one in Nam, the other in Philly Naval Hospital. Can't say any of them was worth a shet.

MOS4429
12-19-11, 02:57 PM
Like awbrown1462, from CA and was stationed in CA most of the time so made Christmases at home, but did miss one, also when on Oki, and try as hard as I can, I have vague recollection of that Christmas. It was that exciting!

But when in CA, used to drive north through the night and pull in usually early Christmas eve morning, and not hit the rack till that night, would have Christmas as mom's, grandma's, my dad's, later my wife's parents, so it was a whirlwind, then the day after Christmas leave at oh dark thirty and shoot back to El Toro or San Diego. Good times!

Ceya
12-19-11, 07:26 PM
Not a holiday guy but never been home for Christmas at all in my time in the Corps.

I didn't mind, I had enough Marines And Sailors who was with me.

Those who wanted to go home if they had dependents (Overseas) I stood their duties so they can make the best of it.

S/F,
CEYA!

m14ed
12-20-11, 03:32 AM
USMC =

U'll Sure Miss Christmas

sparkie
12-20-11, 09:28 AM
Christmas on the Tripoli, 1971. It was unrep day with the Kansas City. We worked a long day stowing supplies and had Christmas cancelled for one day, which was a good thing 'cause we woulda had powdered ham for the holiday meal. Thus ended the salt water showers.

SGT7477
12-20-11, 10:52 AM
USMC =

U'll Sure Miss Christmas

That says it all,lol,Semper Fidelis.:flag: