PDA

View Full Version : Kim Jong-il is Dead

Conch
12-18-11, 10:12 PM
North Korean leader Kim Jong Il dead, state media reports

By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 11:02 PM EST, Sun December 18, 2011

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/18/world/asia/north-korea-leader-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

(CNN) -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Il is dead, North Korean state TV said Monday.

Kim, 69, died at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, state TV said.

A broadcaster reported that Kim died due to "overwork" after "dedicating his life to the people."

Kim died of "great mental and physical strain" while in a train during a "field guidance tour," North Korea's state-run KCNA news agency reported.

More specifically, the agency noted that Kim suffered a heart attack and couldn't be saved despite the use of "every possible first-aid measure."

He had been treated for "cardiac and cerebrovascular diseases for a long period," KCNA noted.

South Korea's military declared an "emergency alert" following Kim's death, according to South Korean news agency Yonhap.

North Korean and communist party officials "released a notice on Saturday informing" members of the Workers' Party of Korea, military "and all other people" of Kim's passing, according to KCNA.

The son of Kim Il Sung, the founder of the communist nation, Kim Jong Il had been in power since 1994 when his father died of a heart attack at age 82.

The enigmatic leader was a frequent thorn in the side of neighboring South Korea, as well as the United States. There have been reports in recent years about his health, as well as that power will be transitioned to his son, Kim Jong Un.

North Korea's nuclear program -- and international attempts to hinder its nuclear weaponry potential -- put Kim at odds with many world leaders in recent years, as did his governing style.

Under his leadership, North Korea was largely closed off to outside influences, fearful of threats from its neighbors and subject to decades of political socialization. At the same time, it also sought international aid after extensive famines that contributed to the deaths of tens of thousands of people.

North Korean news reports earlier this fall indicated that Kim Jong Il had been traveling around the country and visiting China, a big change from 2009 when he was thought to be ill with cancer.

Two senior U.S. military officials said then that they believed the pace of North Korea's planned regime change from Kim to his 20-something son appeared to have slowed.

The son, also known as Kim, started his career as a four-star general and in recent years was given more official duties by his father.

CNN's Wolf Blitzer, who traveled to Pyongyang a year ago with former U.S. ambassador Bill Richardson, said that "the assumption (then) was that he was sick" but still in "decent shape."

Now it is a "totally uncertain situation," Blitzer said.

elliscraig12
12-18-11, 11:26 PM
This honestly makes me wonder what's next.

Omegaham
12-19-11, 12:22 AM
This honestly makes me wonder what's next.

I doubt anything will actually happen. Regardless of what they tell their people and broadcast to the world, North Korea is in no shape to fight a war. They can barely feed their people, let alone equip them to fight a modern 20th century enemy. I'd bet a month's pay that they've had a bunch of very smart people do calculations on various war scenarios, and that those very smart people have said, "We are completely screwed in any prolonged war."

That being said, if they were to invade, we would have a pretty nasty conflict on our hands. The North Koreans might be stuck in the 70s with their military equipment, but they're fanatical, tenacious, and there's a LOT of them. We would put the whoopin' on them, but they'd kill plenty of us, especially in the beginning of the war before we can mobilize every spare Marine and Soldier and bring them in.

Zulu 36
12-19-11, 04:55 AM
I doubt anything will actually happen. Regardless of what they tell their people and broadcast to the world, North Korea is in no shape to fight a war. They can barely feed their people, let alone equip them to fight a modern 20th century enemy. I'd bet a month's pay that they've had a bunch of very smart people do calculations on various war scenarios, and that those very smart people have said, "We are completely screwed in any prolonged war."

That being said, if they were to invade, we would have a pretty nasty conflict on our hands. The North Koreans might be stuck in the 70s with their military equipment, but they're fanatical, tenacious, and there's a LOT of them. We would put the whoopin' on them, but they'd kill plenty of us, especially in the beginning of the war before we can mobilize every spare Marine and Soldier and bring them in.

It is also very likely the Chinese would have exactly the same attitude about the U.S. invading North Korea as they did in 1950, never mind the North Koreans.

This requires an internal revolution of one sort or another. Who knows, maybe Junior will institute something resembling China's current economic policies. I doubt if he will do anything more drastic. Just that alone would be of great benefit to the North Korean people.

Anyway, unless big positive changes happen fast, my attitude is: the King is dead, short live the King.

awbrown1462
12-19-11, 07:52 AM
But I do not like it scares the heck out of me a 20 Something kid in charge of nukes

AKA HITMAN
12-19-11, 09:04 AM
Please President Obama...lead us thru this trying time and I'll guarantee a visit from Santa Claus...

CplQuick
12-19-11, 11:13 AM
But then again, Obama is in charge of nukes too. Isn't that just as bad?

DudefromDiego
12-19-11, 04:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j24nO2iNli8

I don't know if I'd want to go to war with these people. Clearly decades of brainwashing has jacked them up... I say good riddance. But his son is absolutely psychotic from what I've heard... time will only tell.

SlingerDun
12-19-11, 04:50 PM
Damn, Kim-Jong-Sahn jr is a 27 or 28 year old 4 star general. Looks like another **** ant dictator on the peninsula

Tennessee Top
12-19-11, 05:51 PM
The new guy is so isolated and out of touch nobody can say what he will or will not do (we don't even know his exact age). It's a similar situation to Saddam; a lot of "intelligent" people claimed he would never invade Kuwait...yeah right! All we can do is keep our fingers crossed, hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.