PDA

View Full Version : MCT at Camp Geiger

jclarke
12-17-11, 05:32 PM
Our Marine was "picked up" this past Tuesday for MCT, so he's glad he's not having to wait unti the 23rd.

We're not able to get down there for Christmas, and are planing to go to Graduation (weather permitting. We've been blocked in by snow for day's at time the last several winter's).

Are they allowed to receive personal packages, like home-made "goodies? I make a "mean" Monkey Bread, and some great Triple Chocolate Chip cookies.

Would those be permitted as a personal package? Or, would it only be permitted if enough was made for the platoon?

Other than that, I'm guessing the only other personal mailing's he can get are letter's, or "hygeine" item's.

Thanks for the dope on this.

elliscraig12
12-17-11, 06:25 PM
Your best bet is to have him ask his command to see what their policy is. but it shouldn't be a problem.

FaDeD
12-17-11, 06:26 PM
He isn't going to have time for any packages. He's going to be in the field 90% of the time. You send it now it won't reach him until mos school.

jclarke
12-17-11, 06:29 PM
Kinda hard to short of a letter. And no tellin' when or how often mail would arrive. I'd like to bake something to get to him for Christmas. I'd have to do it tomorrow (Sunday) for it to "maybe" get to him by Saturday. I know a lot of packages are moving through the mail, so it's a crap shoot about when it might get to him. :-)

jclarke
12-17-11, 06:31 PM
He isn't going to have time for any packages. He's going to be in the field 90% of the time. You send it now it won't reach him until mos school.

But, they do have liberty on site for Christmas Eve and Day. I'd hope it'd get to him by Saturday, but then, it too is a holiday, so it more than likely wouldn't.

Thanks for letting me know!

jclarke
12-23-11, 07:41 AM
Well, made reservation's for Econolodge by Camp Geiger today. Weather permitting, or rather snow permtting (and I'll be d__ned if I let it, I'll get us towed to the main road if I have to!), we'll be there the 9th in the afternoon.

Cannot understand why the lodging's nearer to the Camp are in Priceline's thing! Cannot get to any of them unless we use Priceline, and we don't travel that much to use them! Oh well, least we gotta room!

jclarke
12-27-11, 10:49 AM
Called the mail operation's today at Camp Geiger, as our Marine hadn't received any letter's from us. The Corporal was kind enough to explain how the mail works. So, for those who've sent mail to MCT, the Marine needs to go to his/her mail clerk. I was told, if they were in the field, then it'd be delivered out to them.

The mail goes through Camp LeJuene, then to Camp Geiger. There are 4, maybe 5 clerk's to sort the mail for the thousand's of Marine's there. So getting mail, much less a package seems to be kind of a "crap shoot" as to when it'll reach them. That and the mail definetly increased this month.

jclarke
01-07-12, 11:19 AM
Anyone know if the premise "no news is good news" as far as graduation at MCT applies? We've not heard from our Marine since Christmas evening, and his platoon was packing and preparing for an early rack time for a 02:00 wake-up to hike out to the field.
Another Private told us while we were on Skype that the training may be "compressed" due to the time lost on Christmas weekend.

MarineDAD92
01-07-12, 02:31 PM
Yep, MCT seems to be an information vacuum. We did not hear from our son until after graduation. We had no plans of attending though, and he said there were very few parents there......... didn't see him again until about halfway through MOS school.

spotts
01-07-12, 02:35 PM
Your Marine is in the field learning what it takes to be a Marine. Training will not be compressed and they will work as many training days as any other class. Free time is slim to none because he is in the field. Im sure writing letters is the least of his worries right now. Loosen the strings on him a bit, this isnt boy scout training.

Tennessee Top
01-07-12, 04:01 PM
Loosen the strings on him a bit, this isnt boy scout training.

:thumbup:

jclarke
01-07-12, 05:48 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong, lol! I'm good with what's goin' on. It's his Mom I gotta keep "happy". She's never lived under a Marine's roof as I have. Been telling her that it's when we hear something, then we worry. I know MCT is way different than PI, that when a Recruit is sent back for one reason or another, then they "get" to call home to inform the delay in graduation.

She know's she's going to have to "let go", but, he is the youngest, and, well, there's a story about him being alive when we found out something when he was 3-yrs. old (had to do with us, not him). So, she has always believed, or "known" a "Guardian Angel" had their eye's on him, for one reason or another.

I'm looking forward to seeing Camp Geiger and the area. And to see where the Corps is sending him for what kind of work.

MarineDAD92
01-07-12, 06:03 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Camp Geiger and the area.

When you are exploring the area, don't overlook the coastal community of Emerald Isle. If you will be making future trips down there, you can find a nice place to stay for a VERY reasonable rate in the off-season. It's a 20-30 minute drive from the main gate, but is often cheaper than staying in town, again in the off season. When tourist season fires-up, forget about it.

Of course this depends on where his MOS school will be and his PDS.

My son is stationed at Lejeune and we rented a 3br house, 2 blocks from the beach for easter for CHEAP!

jclarke
01-07-12, 06:32 PM
If we only knew what and where his MOS and PDS will be! Since he went in on an open contract, no tellin'! There's no plane/bus ticket charge yet in his account, so...

Yonkers
01-07-12, 11:15 PM
He should've been told during boot camp what the general MOS that he's going into is. In MCT he will be told where he's going next, however this information could be incorrect.. but he will have a...

jclarke
01-08-12, 03:20 PM
We'd thought he would have gotten some idea as well, but his SDI told him he'd get it here. So, hopefully we'll find out tomorrow. We did ask his Recruiter, and he said on an "open contract" like our son went in on, there's no telling.

Good thing we got here early, as we got our pass through Tuesday, and we'll avoid the crowd tomorrow (if there is one). We found the building's we needed to go to, so we know where to be tomorrow p.m., then Wednesday a.m.

He should've been told during boot camp what the general MOS that he's going into is. In MCT he will be told where he's going next, however this information could be incorrect.. but he will have a general knowledge about it.

Being as it's during this timeframe, he will probably be VERY VERY cold.. so don't expect too many letters if any, as most don't write. Letters are always welcome though.

Good luck to you and your son,

LCpl Yonkers

FistFu68
01-08-12, 04:14 PM
:evilgrin: Your Son will B-Fine He left Home a Boy and Will come Home a Man that will make both His Mother and You His PaPa very Proud.GoodLuck 2 Him and Thank You for Raising a YoungBuck Who has The Gonads to Do what He is doing.GodBless Him and Both of You.Semper Fidelis :beer: :iwo:

jclarke
01-08-12, 04:23 PM
Main reason we came on down, is because of his "open contract" and not knowing his MOS or PDS, there was no telling when we'd see him again (but for Skype). He's learned much though, and has done, and is doing much more than I did at his age, and even by the time I hit 30.

Self-discipline, self- respect, testing (he'd "freeze" on test's in high school), ability to sort out the chaos to complete what his DI's and MCT has required and more than likely, much more. And more to come, I'm sure! I, as his Dad, am not only proud he's a Marine, I'm proud/happy that he's found his "place" in his life. something I never was able to do.

jclarke
01-09-12, 09:00 PM
We were able to spend a lot of time with Pvt. Combs today. The weather though, wasn’t co-operative, and was wet all day. Tomorrow is supposed to be better, so we hope for picture taking weather. Pvt. Combs and I played pool for awhile and talked, He’s gotten interested in being a Drill Instructor, and also stopped to talk to a Sgt. about the Wing’s for paratrooper. He told Pvt. Combs to finish his MOS training, then ask for that particular training.

His MOS school is in Camp Johnson, south of Camp Lejeune , and he’ll be there to learn to be an “Warehouse Clerk” (not the most "important" job we know as compared to other's) for 39 day’s. But, with an "open contract"... After that, where his PDS will be, is yet to be known. He knows he has a lot of work to do to further his rank, and knew it going in. But he’s very much enjoying what he’s doing, and has done, Parris Island, MCT, he’s really liked it. We talked a bit about “unbecoming” conduct, and he knows the tight path he is on, and knows he needs, he wants to “watch” how he conducts himself in order to further himself in the Corps.

He’s learned much from the Corps so far, and we’re looking forward to see how much he can “give” the Corps in the future.

jclarke
01-09-12, 09:01 PM
the above somehow went 2x. sorry :confused:

Lisa 23
01-09-12, 09:57 PM
His MOS school is in Camp Johnson, south of Camp Lejeune , and he’ll be there to learn to be an “Warehouse Clerk” (not the most "important" job we know as compared to other's) for 39 day’s.

EVERY job in the Marine Corps is IMPORTANT!!!

doc h fmf
01-10-12, 06:35 AM
WHAT IS WRONG BEING A WARE HOUSE CLERK? supplies not important?

THE GRUNTS AND EVERY OTHER SECTION IN THE CORPS WOULD BE IN TROUBLE WITHOUT ANY SUPPLIES

AS LISA SAYS EVERY JOB IS IMPORTANT

SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

advanced
01-10-12, 09:07 AM
WHAT IS WRONG BEING A WARE HOUSE CLERK? supplies not important?

THE GRUNTS AND EVERY OTHER SECTION IN THE CORPS WOULD BE IN TROUBLE WITHOUT ANY SUPPLIES

AS LISA SAYS EVERY JOB IS IMPORTANT

SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

I agree 100%. I have been in the field when supply couldn't get into us. It's a B**ch to run out of food, especially ammo when you need it. Just saying.

jclarke
01-10-12, 06:22 PM
I asked a Sgt. at MCT about that, this is what he told me, word-for-word; the logistical/supply side of war is not only the most challenging to plan for, but also vital to victory. Anyone who designs a campaign without thinking of the supply side is an amateur. These will be many important skills he will develop, and the good thing is that there are civilian job applications to this MOS.

And Pvt. Combs has been in the "habit", or else by my example, that "there is a place for everything, and everything in its place". He always knows where any of his gear is, as I have for decade's.

As for the word "important" on my earlier post, I more or less meant "less glamorous" as opposed to maneuvering Drone's, the unmanned helicopter I read about. And I was told as ya'll have told me, without supplies, not much can be accomplished (Battle of the Bulge comes to mind). When our men were without for so long because of weather.

jclarke
01-10-12, 07:12 PM
Huh? I edited something on my above post. It's a Navy commander (who's been friend's of ours, well, since Pvt. Combs was in the 5th grade with his kid's) who told me what I had said a Sgt. told me. Wanted to give credit where credit is due.

jclarke
01-12-12, 07:16 AM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/3051.htm

The above URL describe's our Marine's MOS. I've done "warehouse work" in the past for several large companies, but not on a scale like this. I hope he shows an aptitude for machinery, driving forklift's, etc. are going to be part of it.

MarineDAD92
01-12-12, 10:05 AM
My son is also a 3051 and wouldn't want it any other way. He is with 3rd MSOB and has MANY opportunities for training outside his MOS. Alot will depend on what he makes of it.

Supply school is pretty short, if he gets picked-up quickly. You should know his PDS near the end of school. If you want to visit during MOS school, wait until he can go off base which if I remember correctly, is about halfway through. There is not much to do at Camp Johnson and he will be able to relax more.

jclarke
01-24-12, 08:27 AM
Exactly what is the process of a single Marine (a Pvt.) in Camp Johnson and the MOS. I'm wondering about food, lodging, liberty and how he handles his finances. He's 18, just got a tat (is looking to get another. And those aren't as inexpensive as they were in the 70's when I got my 2). We have access to his account, and are trying to get him to rein in his spending.

Since he's just beginning class this past Monday, what is it he'll be having to do, and to keep an eye out for and on? His Mom & I are "prepared" for wherever he'll be sent to after, we just hope there'll be enough time to drive down and see him before he goes. But, we know, that may not happen.

Sgt Morales, AM
01-24-12, 01:26 PM
Will he be going to MCT? If so, MCT is usually around 17 days long and about 95% of time they are in the field. After MCT is completed, they are shipped off to MOS school within 1-2 days. Lodging is all provided my the military unless he arrives earlier and doesn't want to stay on base. The chow hall is always open for breakfast, lunch and dinner at specific times (unless he's in the field). Once MCT starts there is no liberty and he will be unable to leave base (unless the rules have chaged). As far as his finances are concerned, he should have settled all that during the last few days in bootcamp.

MCT consists of PT, humps, night and day fire of several weapons (M203, SAWs, 50 Cals, grinade training etc.), night nav and patrols. It's actually very exciting!!!

I hope this had helped....let me know if there is anything I didn't answer.

Semper Fi

Sgt Morales:flag:

Exactly what is the process of a single Marine (a Pvt.) in Camp Johnson and the MOS. I'm wondering about food, lodging, liberty and how he handles his finances. He's 18, just got a tat (is looking to get another. And those aren't as inexpensive as they were in the 70's when I got my 2). We have access to his account, and are trying to get him to rein in his spending.

Since he's just beginning class this past Monday, what is it he'll be having to do, and to keep an eye out for and on? His Mom & I are "prepared" for wherever he'll be sent to after, we just hope there'll be enough time to drive down and see him before he goes. But, we know, that may not happen.

jclarke
01-24-12, 01:36 PM
He's already completed the MCT 1/10, then went to Camp Johnson, and was in "holding" until last week. He started his "Warehouse Clerk" MOS yesterday (which we understand is 15 day's, not counting weekend's/holiday's). We're sure he's going to be busy, just wondering what he's in for and what he'll be doing. We're not sure if the class is all encompassing as far as "warehouse" or if it's seperated in department's. We did send his laptop down, as he sounded like he was going to need it.

Lisa 23
01-24-12, 01:45 PM
Not only will he be going to daily classes, there will be daily PT, some inspections, (at least there was when I went through supply school at Camp Johnson) and field days (cleaning).

This is a basic description of a warehouse clerk........

Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions

MOS 3051 - - Warehouse Clerk

Type of MOS : PMOS

Rank (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/blenlrank.htm) Range: MGySgt toPvt
Job Description: Warehouse clerks perform various duties which include receiving, inspecting, locating, storing, rotating, safekeeping, issuing, preparing, shipping, material return and disposal of supplies and equipment as relates to ground supply operations. These clerks maintain personal computer and mainframe locator systems, conduct inventories, maintain records of subcustody principal end items, monitor shelf life items through CD ROM and the mainframe support systems, and input data entry transactions and retrieval of historical records. They maintain hand held optical character recognition scanners, devices, and multimedia retrieval systems. These Marines are licensed to operate MHE (forklifts, tractors, etc.) and operate bulk and small parts conveyer systems used in warehousing operations. They identify packaging requirements and ensure items are maintained as required; comply with fire and safety regulations; use protective measures for items in storage, including open storage lots and hazardous materials storage areas; establish field supply support areas. Use detailed technical data from the Federal Logistics System in the care and storage program; develop storage space requirements; and store materiel per weight, cube, and clearance factors by categories of supply.

Job Requirements:
(1) Must possess a GT score (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/asvab.htm) of 90 or higher.
(2) Complete the Enlisted Warehouseman Basic Course at the MCSSS, Camp Lejeune, NC.
(3) No convictions by court-martial, civilian courts, or nonjudicial punishment (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justicelawlegislation/a/article15.htm) of any act involving larceny or theft.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/3051.htm

jclarke
01-24-12, 01:57 PM
Holy @#$%! He's on no picnic that's for sure! Good! It'll keep him good and busy!

Thank you for the info on that! At least he won't be "bored", that's for sure!

Sgt Morales, AM
01-24-12, 02:00 PM
He's already completed the MCT 1/10, then went to Camp Johnson, and was in "holding" until last week. He started his "Warehouse Clerk" MOS yesterday (which we understand is 15 day's, not counting weekend's/holiday's). We're sure he's going to be busy, just wondering what he's in for and what he'll be doing. We're not sure if the class is all encompassing as far as "warehouse" or if it's seperated in department's. We did send his laptop down, as he sounded like he was going to need it.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with that MOS, but most MOS schools consist of the following:

1. PT
2. School
3. Duty
4. Chow
5. Field Day
6. Liberty on the weekends if the command allows and if he's not on duty

He is lucky that MOS school is short!! My MOS was 6482 (Aviation Electronics) and was a full year!!!

Harlee
01-24-12, 02:13 PM
Clarke- My fiance is a Supply O stationed in Oki currently. It may not be glamorous but it is def important. Pretty much everything their battalion requires from ammo/weapons to vehicle parts goes through their shop. The guys manage and are responsible for huge and expensive accounts. Plus it teaches job and life skills that are important in the cilivian workforce. Be sure to let us know where he ends up for his PDS.

jclarke
01-29-12, 11:47 AM
Hello All! We got a call from our Marine telling us he'd been told he'd be heading for Okinawa. He wasn't sure about leave time after MOS and before he goes (that is if nothing changes, or his chain wasn't jerked). He finishes his MOS 10/Feb/2012. We're wondering if he'll be going over via transport rather than a commercial flight (since he has no passport as yet).

And, some of his buddies were found out about some drinking the day they heard their duty station. We're trying hard to discourage him from the "culture" of the "hard-drinking Marine, especially since he still 18. Fortunately, he was helping a female MArine with something, and wasn't involved, but he got caught up in the disciplinary action's of base restriction and firewatch (which is how thing's go). We'd hate to see him get an adsep or something, then have to return home, having lost everything he'd worked hard and long to do and get.

Sgt Morales, AM
01-29-12, 01:11 PM
Unfortunatley it is hard to ignore "the life". I remember a drill instructor tell us, "you'll either drink, smoke or do both! Some of you will end up pregnant too!"

It's up to the individual Marine to make the right decision.

m14ed
01-29-12, 01:15 PM
We're wondering if he'll be going over via transport rather than a commercial flight (since he has no passport as yet).

You are forgetting, he flies with a Marine Corps Identification card and doesn't require a passport while on active duty traveling under orders.

Harlee
01-29-12, 03:01 PM
Do you know what unit he will be attached to? DF traveled to Okinawa on a military charter flight, he was able to request leave before departing. He will probably get a government no fee passport that he can use while traveling on orders, but I would apply for the civilian passport as well. I leave for Okinawa on 2/10 for visit, I'll let you know how it goes.

jclarke
01-29-12, 03:32 PM
Can he apply for a passport while over there through the embassy or something? I know even here in the U.S. it takes some month's for the process. We don't know division as yet, probably won't know until next week sometime.

And Sgt. Morales? You're right, it will be up to him. We're only hoping he takes into consideration what he has to lose. He's in a way "better" place than I was at his age. That as well as family and people that know and love him.

Yonkers
01-29-12, 05:32 PM
Can he apply for a passport while over there through the embassy or something? I know even here in the U.S. it takes some month's for the process. We don't know division as yet, probably won't know until next week sometime.

And Sgt. Morales? You're right, it will be up to him. We're only hoping he takes into consideration what he has to lose. He's in a way "better" place than I was at his age. That as well as family and people that know and love him.

Yes. Mine is in the works right now.

jclarke
02-02-12, 12:07 PM
I've got a "weird" question. Our Marine is supposed to be headed for Okinawa later this month. What kind of "duty" is it classified as? Sea Duty, Oversea's Duty?