PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Desert Tan Boots

jp2usmc
12-17-11, 05:00 PM
I have these Durashock by Bates, and I love them! They have this suede type of finish on them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200660244864

They got a bit of oil on them the other day after a good year of use, and now I'm wondering how the hell to clean these things.

I tried some degreaser, but I think the oil just soaked further into the leather/suede when I did that.

Crap. Now what?

If I know the Corps, these boots need to look nice when you stand in formation, so hopefully someone knows how to clean them up.

Anyone have any tricks for cleaning these boots up?

http://wpecdn.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/400x400/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_88856.jpg

elliscraig12
12-17-11, 06:22 PM
Try Dawn dish washing detergent. It does what it says and gets grease out of the way. Use an old tooth brush, or a soft bristle brush to lightly agitate it, then use an absorbent cloth to blot it out. You can also try some corn starch to draw it out, just let it sit on top until it turns dark.

SlingerDun
12-17-11, 06:25 PM
leather dye

jp2usmc
12-17-11, 08:31 PM
@elliscraig12: Would Dawn and corn starch ever get the light color back into the suede, or is that part lost for good?

@SlingerDun: By leather dye, do you mean black boot polish?

elliscraig12
12-17-11, 09:14 PM
@elliscraig12: Would Dawn and corn starch ever get the light color back into the suede, or is that part lost for good?

The Dawn should. While I've never tried it on boots, I've used it on carpets before and had good results. If you remove all the oil, you should remove the spot as well. If all else fails, take it to a dry cleaner, or a cobbler if there is one nearby.

Quinbo
12-17-11, 10:20 PM
If all it is is motor oil it will be just like getting skunk off a dog.

Mix 2 quarts 4% peroxide with an entire box of baking soda and a cup of dawn dish soap. Soak the entire boot in it for about a half hour. Rinse scrub it off. I wouldn't try this on the dog but on your boots use some very hot water. You'll be suprised.

SlingerDun
12-17-11, 10:36 PM

No

ecom
12-31-11, 10:37 PM
These suede boots do need to look good for formation, but spilling chemicals on them often permanently stained them especially if the chemical is not water based. Many times people kept two pairs of boots around, one for working and one for formation or inspection.

I recently got some grease on a polyester fleece shirt and after scrubbing and soaking in laundry detergent and two brands of dish detergent (Dawn included), nothing changed at all.

Last resort was a jug of paint thinner. I poured out about 2 or 3oz in a soda can cut in half. I dipped my finger in the paint thinner and applied it to the stains and the grease instantly dissolved and then followed up with more laundry detergent to get rid of the paint thinner.

I have no idea how leather will react to paint thinner but it may be a last resort if everything else fails. I was half afraid that the paint thinner, a solvent, would damage or discolor my polyester fleece but figured I had nothing to lose at that point because the shirt was not usable for layering at that point with all the grease on it.

You only need a very small amount of paint thinner since it seems to be a very strong solvent. For each half-dollar sized stain, I probably dipped my finger in the can of paint thinner only maybe 3 or 4 times. Even three ounces was a lot for the amount of grease stain I had. You'll also need to make sure you clean well afterwards with dish or laundry detergent and lots of water.

Be very careful if you are using this stuff in your barracks room because it is highly flammable and has very a strong odor and can result in respiratory problems if you don't have good ventilation. I used safer, low odor, paint thinner that has a milky appearance but it may be more difficult to find.

The difficulty in cleaning stains from various chemicals was one thing I disliked about the tan boots. I never had the black boots, but I do appreciate not having to shine and polish the leather.

BGW
01-01-12, 10:05 AM
Usually what people do is that they keep one fresh new pair of boots used specifically for Change of Commands or something that is important so it stays clean. And then have a pair of work boots. I do not think you can ever clean those type of boots, but your more then free to try if you really want to.

jp2usmc
01-01-12, 12:11 PM
Well, for me, these boots cost about $120. These are the Bates version (very comfortable) and have steel toes (required for work).

I don't need a spare set for inspection, and I don't like walking around in nasty looking boots.

For the record, this trick worked very well:

Mix 2 quarts 4% peroxide with an entire box of baking soda and a cup of dawn dish soap. Soak the entire boot in it for about a half hour. Rinse scrub it off. I wouldn't try this on the dog but on your boots use some very hot water. You'll be suprised.

I only used half a 1 quart bottle of hydrogen peroxide and half a box of baking soda, but did use a cup of dawn dish soap. Mixed all that together in a sink of hot water like I was about to wash the dishes, and scrubbed those boots down good with a nylon scrub brush for about 30-minutes.

It took them a good couple of days to dry, and when they were dry they came out looking dark and the suede looked messy.

I grabbed that nylon scrub brush again and started buffing the suede like I would a pair of black leather boots. Slowly, the suede fur particles busted lose and regained their former luster.

Today, I think they look pretty darned good! ...they are starting to get dirty again, though. I should have taken a before pic.

http://i.imgur.com/MgGeKl.jpg

BGW
01-01-12, 01:09 PM
I got both my steel toe boots for free from MALS. I always like the dirty boots, shows that you actually work but I guess there will always be those motards out there who try to be picture perfect.

ecom
01-01-12, 01:57 PM
I got both my steel toe boots for free from MALS. I always like the dirty boots, shows that you actually work but I guess there will always be those motards out there who try to be picture perfect.

Inspection and formations are one thing and work is another. Unfortunately, those motards confuse the two. Once you get away from the grunt work and sit in an office all day, you forget that getting grease everywhere is part of the job.

What is not acceptable are the ****birds that try to get pass off the stain on their boots as being from work when it's really from the shifter on their motorcycle.

jp2usmc
01-01-12, 02:39 PM
Damn. You guys don't have to get ugly about it.

I'm required to wear steel toed boots at work. Yes, I sit at a desk 95% of the time, and yes the oil came from my motorcycle.

http://i.imgur.com/KWxWtl.jpg

elliscraig12
01-01-12, 09:24 PM
Nice ride.:thumbup:

blackshirts
01-02-12, 09:49 PM
Where you work doesn't matter, or it shouldn't. Don't you guys have coveralls? One pair (steel toed) for work/coveralls, and one pair for cammies. Don't mix either up.

jp2usmc
01-03-12, 08:51 AM
@elliscraig12: Thanks!

@blackshirts: Na, I got out of our beloved Marine Corps in 1992. I do, however, still wear combat boots, a web belt, and a green undershirt.