PDA

View Full Version : Enlisting at 27

Longpatroller27
12-13-11, 07:23 PM
hello Marines,

I am a 27 year old male who is currently seeking to enlist in the marine corps. I am a college grad, with a BA in English, but I was never a strong school person, so my GPA isn't the greatest but I am determined to become a Marine Officer. However after speaking with an Officer recruiter I realised how competitive it is to get into OCS and while I qualify to apply I was unofficially told I was a long shot. However I still knew that I still desperately wanted to earn the title of Marine and I am ready to take the leap to become one.

So my questions are thus. Being 27 years old (just turned by the way, so there is no worry about turning 28) would I be hindered by my age within the Corps? Would I still be able to earn my way up the ranks and hopefully into a spot in OCS? If not would I still be able to make a career for myself? I am in excellent shape, am a natural athlete and have already passed all of the early enlistment questions, have no criminal history good health, and a desire to serve my country. I only ask this because I contacted each branch of the military to get information, just for reference and to make certain I was going to were I would be the most useful, and the Navy recruiter pretty much told me that all they wanted was 18 year olds and females and that I could enlist, but I would likely be pushed into doing a rating I hated so I would not reenlist. I am open to any kind of MOS in the Corps. but would prefer to do something that would actually be a benefit to both the Marines and myself based on my skills.

I am expecting some distance between myself and younger recruits in terms of personal interests and maturity, especially as I am presently a high school substitute teacher, but I have my heart set on a possible career in the Corps and would really like to know if I am making the right move for myself and the Marine Corps.? Any insight would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

MOS4429
12-13-11, 08:01 PM
Nicholas,

First of all, don't double post. Post your question once.

Second of all, read the site rules first before you post located at:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103170

Quinbo
12-14-11, 01:05 AM
My 10 year old graded your post and she regretfully has to give you an "F" on english composition. Are you sure you have a degree in english?

You are not too old to go enlisted side but you are beyond the officers age limit. There are special exceptions made for lawyers.

Go talk to the OSO .... they'll give you the low down. Good luck and best wishes.

afraziaaaa
12-14-11, 09:05 AM
hello Marines,

I am a 27 year old male who is currently seeking to enlist in the marine corps. I am a college grad, with a BA in English, but I was never a strong school person, so my GPA isn't the greatest but I am determined to become a Marine Officer. However after speaking with an Officer recruiter I realised how competitive it is to get into OCS and while I qualify to apply I was unofficially told I was a long shot. However I still knew that I still desperately wanted to earn the title of Marine and I am ready to take the leap to become one.

So my questions are thus. Being 27 years old (just turned by the way, so there is no worry about turning 28) would I be hindered by my age within the Corps? Would I still be able to earn my way up the ranks and hopefully into a spot in OCS? If not would I still be able to make a career for myself? I am in excellent shape, am a natural athlete and have already passed all of the early enlistment questions, have no criminal history good health, and a desire to serve my country. I only ask this because I contacted each branch of the military to get information, just for reference and to make certain I was going to were I would be the most useful, and the Navy recruiter pretty much told me that all they wanted was 18 year olds and females and that I could enlist, but I would likely be pushed into doing a rating I hated so I would not reenlist. I am open to any kind of MOS in the Corps. but would prefer to do something that would actually be a benefit to both the Marines and myself based on my skills.

I am expecting some distance between myself and younger recruits in terms of personal interests and maturity, especially as I am presently a high school substitute teacher, but I have my heart set on a possible career in the Corps and would really like to know if I am making the right move for myself and the Marine Corps.? Any insight would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

Enlisted Comissioning Program applicants can be granted comissioning waivers up to age 30. Better hurry.