PDA

View Full Version : Married marines forced to eat chow hall

D3v1ld0g1775
12-12-11, 05:02 AM
I want to know can your chain of command force you to eat at a chow hall if your married. We have the choice but if we dont go to the chow hall after our 0530 company formation we have to go straight to the motor pool and stand around until 0645, are they allowed to do that?

D3v1ld0g1775
12-12-11, 05:03 AM
Out time for chow is chow hall only no other options.

Zulu 36
12-12-11, 05:25 AM
They aren't forcing you to eat at the chow hall. Eat at home before you go to work. So then stand around at the motor pool. Take a book. What's the big deal?

SGT7477
12-12-11, 07:18 AM
It could always be worse,Carry On,Semper Fidelis.

Phantom Blooper
12-12-11, 07:46 AM
You already answered your question....so how are they forcing you?

You have a choice....

When I was in company formation started the workday for all.

Then you went to work on the POD....

If you ain't hungry where else would you go at 0530 except to your appointed place of duty?

Three hots and a cot..... gotta love the benefits

Mongoose
12-12-11, 08:01 AM
I want to know can your chain of command force you to eat at a chow hall if your married. We have the choice but if we dont go to the chow hall after our 0530 company formation we have to go straight to the motor pool and stand around until 0645, are they allowed to do that?
I'm telling you brother, that's a tough choice to have to make. I can remember times, we would have gave a years pay, to have a chow hall to eat in. I can't believe a Marine has to wonder, if his Command can force him to do something he doesn't want to do.

acg8276
12-12-11, 08:35 AM

WOW!?!? How long did it take you to complete bootcamp?

Apache
12-12-11, 10:37 AM
Sounds like your Command dosent want you to get "lost" or arrive late at your duty station.

Can they tell you exactly what is required ? YES
Do you have an option ? This is a bonus !

CPL GG
12-12-11, 10:41 AM
Really? Your command offers you the opportunity to eat in the chow hall, as required by law. But if you choose not to go, they can tell you were you are going to be. It is still a dictatorship not a democracy. Of all the things to complain about..........

Zulu 36
12-12-11, 10:52 AM
Very interesting thread. Hard to believe that the Corps would have someone stand around Motor T. Sounds like things got a lot tougher since the mid-1960s.

Yeah, in my day they'd make us PM trucks instead of "standing around."

Ed Palmer
12-12-11, 11:21 AM
Back to the old addage,

IF THEY WANTED YOU TO HAVE A WIFE, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN ISSUED.
PROABALY GREEN SIDE OUT.

MOS4429
12-12-11, 11:35 AM

Daniel, unrelated question, but your profile indicates you joined in 2009. Why are you still an E-1 if you joined in 2009?

Back to your question, "forced" is an odd word. I think "order" or "lawfully order" might fit better.

In answer to your specific question, you have an 0530 formation, after which you go to the chow hall to eat, and if you do not want to eat, you can go stright to motor pool and wait for those who are eating.

Can they give you these two options? Is it a lawful order? Sounds like it to me, but as USMC1963 said, if in doubt, go to JAG. They might toss you out on your head or other anatomy, too.

Actually, you sound pretty fortunate. It would be lawful for those who do not go to chow to then have to police the area, pick up cigarette butts, field day the heads, polish brass, etc.

If you're thinking it's unfair...don't even go there. You are a Marine, buck up!

FoxtrotOscar
12-12-11, 11:43 AM
WOW!?!? How long did it take you to complete bootcamp?

For some it still takes 2 hours just to watch "60" minutes.... LMFAO....:banana:

acg8276
12-12-11, 11:47 AM
10-4, I had same question in my mind as MOS4429 had about his rank, if we have a retread it might explain it. And why the guy doesn't understand what he's gotten himself into. I'd being willing to bet the question came from his wife.

Spears
12-12-11, 01:00 PM
My advice, bring chow if you don't want chow hall food, but personally, I miss the chow hall, where else are you gonna get eggs made to order, and an unlimited amount for $4.25?

iamspartacus
12-12-11, 02:31 PM
Option 1: Eat before you go to formation and then head to motor T right after and "stand around"
Option 2: Eat before you go to formation and (if you are against standing around) go to the chow hall anyway. You don't have to eat there. You can just sit and chill with your homies until they're done.
Option 3: Take food with you to formation. Eat your own food at the chow hall. It's not like the chow hall workers are going to tell you not to bring your own food.
Option 4: Don't eat at all.
Option 5: Pay the measly $4 and eat at the chow hall.

Sounds like you have a lot of options to me. Seriously Marine.... think. You don't have to have stellar problem solving skills to work through this one.

awbrown1462
12-12-11, 02:36 PM
heck if you go to the Motor T and have to wait and got a smart phone go sit somewhere and sleep and sit your alarm for 15 min before everyone gets there

sparkie
12-12-11, 03:04 PM
What he needs is a good "Sea Lawyer".

BGW
12-12-11, 03:39 PM
Daaamn son it just keeps on going too.

Phantom Blooper
12-12-11, 03:41 PM
I have never met a young Marine that didn't enjoy standing around...and still get paid for it.

TheReservist
12-12-11, 04:20 PM
General Krulak, former Commandant of the Marine Corps said in an illustrious piece on the future of the Marine Corps

The remaining vestiges of the "zero defects mentality" must be exchanged for an environment in which all Marines are afforded the "freedom to fail" and with it, the opportunity to succeed.How it pertains to this particular question is that the Marine has several choices to fail himself and his fellow Marines if he chooses to waste money through the chow hall when a home cooked meal could be cheaper or if he just "stands around" if he doesn't utilize the chow hall.

How about educating / preparing yourself and your fellow Marines by holding classes during that "stand around time". I know when I was in I was kicking classes on many different subjects, that dealt with my MOS and Marine Corps knowledge in general, and having my junior Marines brief - back me before they went to teach a class to the rest of the Marines.

Also, as Sparkie pointed out, haven't "sea lawyers" been around since the inception of the Marine Corps. Doling out "advice" to Marines on what the Corps could and couldn't do to them? As I go to Veteran's events and talk with the older generation of Marine Veterans I hear many stories regaling how they did, not what the Marine Corps thought was for the best for them, but for what they thought was best for their fellow Marines.

MOS4429
12-12-11, 04:51 PM
27 posts later and the young Marine hasn't chimmed back in yet. Hmmm, makes one wonder...

But on the chow hall thing, $4.25!! Wow! When I was in...well, let's just say it was a bit cheaper than that.

In '79 my dad, a Korean War vet, came to El Toro on one of those Marine Corps publicity tours when they fly you to MCRD, tour, bus up to El Toro and fly back home. I met him in the chow hall for lunch. in '79 the food was pretty good. I never complained - much. But he was blown away comparing the "cusine" I had compared to Army slop from the early Fifties.

Makes one wonder if there is that much improvement in 25 years, what's it like today 32 years later?

Old Marine
12-12-11, 05:07 PM
I have a hard time believing that the OP is for real. Used to be when they said squat you did and replied with how much and what color.

Phantom Blooper
12-12-11, 05:09 PM
27 posts later and the young Marine hasn't chimmed back in yet. Hmmm, makes one wonder...

He's at the motor pool biotchin'.....about being hungry....

Beltayn
12-12-11, 05:14 PM
General Krulak, former Commandant of the Marine Corps said in an illustrious piece on the future of the Marine Corps

How it pertains to this particular question is that the Marine has several choices to fail himself and his fellow Marines if he chooses to waste money through the chow hall when a home cooked meal could be cheaper or if he just "stands around" if he doesn't utilize the chow hall.

How about educating / preparing yourself and your fellow Marines by holding classes during that "stand around time". I know when I was in I was kicking classes on many different subjects, that dealt with my MOS and Marine Corps knowledge in general, and having my junior Marines brief - back me before they went to teach a class to the rest of the Marines.

Also, as Sparkie pointed out, haven't "sea lawyers" been around since the inception of the Marine Corps. Doling out "advice" to Marines on what the Corps could and couldn't do to them? As I go to Veteran's events and talk with the older generation of Marine Veterans I hear many stories regaling how they did, not what the Marine Corps thought was for the best for them, but for what they thought was best for their fellow Marines.

Can you PM me a link or directions to where I can read the referenced piece by Gen Krulak?
I would like to read the full article.

TheReservist
12-12-11, 05:19 PM
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/usmc/strategic_corporal.htm

It's called, "The Strategic Corporal: Leadership in the Three Block War"

It's originally from a Marine Magazine piece that General Krulak wrote in 1999. I've seen it posted on several other sites but I feel this is the most official despite the fact that it's an Air Force site.

It's a very interesting article that I've read several times and have cited in papers I've written in my collegiate career in terms of leadership.

AAV Crewchief
12-12-11, 05:49 PM

WTF over? Why do you guys have 0530 formation?

MOS4429
12-12-11, 06:17 PM
I have a hard time believing that the OP is for real. Used to be when they said squat you did and replied with how much and what color.

EXACTLY.

Kegler300
12-12-11, 06:23 PM
Nothing better than breakfast at the chow hall.

The Marines where I'm at are already here PTing at 0530, including married Marines. If eating at the chow hall in the early morning is his complaint, I'm curious what unit he's hiding and sliding with.

MOS4429
12-12-11, 06:42 PM
Two lines for chow. A hundred people for eggs, bacon, sausage, ham.
The other line was for SOS, with two or three guys standing there. Me among them.

Hashbrowns, dump 'em on, cover it with sh*** -- er, gravy, throw on top two eggs over-medium, dump jalapenos on top of that, and douse it all with tabasco.

Dang, I'm getting hungry thinking about it!

FoxtrotOscar
12-12-11, 07:03 PM
WTF over? Why do you guys have 0530 formation?

It takes him awhile to find the Motor Pool....

Tennessee Top
12-12-11, 07:37 PM
Brown baggers!

TMM54
12-12-11, 09:08 PM
This young Marine needs some leadership. I was taught some very simple rules about work ethic which have served me well all of my life, and helped me to not only earn my doctorate degree but also to earn and receive recognition ahead of most everyone else.

Start working early before everyone else. Stay late working more than everyone else. Look for more responsibility and opportunities to serve someone else without being asked to do so, and say "I can" when asked to do anything.

Pretty simple. And the best universal rule that I learned from a very smart man was that if we do more work than we are being paid for, pretty soon we will be paid for more than we are doing.

Semper Fi, Tom

LarryStarr
12-12-11, 09:49 PM

One word answer ... "YES" :evilgrin:
You want home cooking, get it before formation.

LarryStarr
12-12-11, 09:51 PM

There were always a few sea lawyers around, but most of them could come up with a better complaint than this.

TheReservist
12-13-11, 12:33 AM
Larry why would you talk about sea lawyers when all of the posters from the time frame that you served in are saying that they always did exactly what they were told?

Has the concept of sea lawyer changed from yesteryear to today?

Quinbo
12-13-11, 01:13 AM
One thing that hasn't changed .... the quality and diversity of the chow is based entirely on the average number of Marines they feed on a daily basis.

CplKJSpevak
12-13-11, 06:34 AM
Your command doesn't have to let you go home to your wife after "work" technically they're releasing you for Liberty. It's the Marine Corps for Gods sake! I was married and ate at the chow hall alot, extremely fair price for good chow.

LarryStarr
12-13-11, 09:29 AM
Larry why would you talk about sea lawyers when all of the posters from the time frame that you served in are saying that they always did exactly what they were told?

Has the concept of sea lawyer changed from yesteryear to today?

No, the concept has not changed but some memories may have. :D
Truth be told most did follow orders, as described, but there have always been a small contingents of malcontents, winers, and deliberate misfits.

Of course there were also those who excelled in combat assignments but did not fit well in the peacetime Marine Corps.

USNAviator
12-13-11, 09:53 AM
True-----I remember those 30" pedestal fans, set on "high", at Camp Lejeune, so that anyone walking from the chow line to a table would have their slices of bread blown fifteen feet away if they didn't hold on to them.
The other line was for SOS, with two or three guys standing there. Me among them.

Geeez Dave you Marines sure had it soft. I recall dining in the ward room aboard the Kennedy. All we had was steak and eggs, sausage, omelets, fresh fruit, freshly squeezed oj, freshly baked muffins, biscuits and doughnuts all served by mess attendants on real china. Sort of makes me wish I was at Lejeune with you. :D

SGT7477
12-13-11, 10:34 AM
True-----I remember those 30" pedestal fans, set on "high", at Camp Lejeune, so that anyone walking from the chow line to a table would have their slices of bread blown fifteen feet away if they didn't hold on to them.
SOS the breakfast of champions,Semper Fidelis.:flag:

FistFu68
12-13-11, 11:16 AM
:evilgrin: Tha Chow in tha BRIG,was Lean and Mean...Bread,Lettuce & Water,That was after having Din Din eating out The Ossifers Wives when their Men were on War Games...Eatin out at tha Y...Was worth doin 29 Day's in tha BRIG...Semper Ho Ho Ho...With all Due Respect :D :iwo:

fjmas1976
12-13-11, 11:36 AM
Why not just go to the Chow Hall? Relax, have a cup of coffee, or whatever?

MOS4429
12-13-11, 11:58 AM
This young Marine needs some leadership. I was taught some very simple rules about work ethic which have served me well all of my life, and helped me to not only earn my doctorate degree but also to earn and receive recognition ahead of most everyone else.

Start working early before everyone else. Stay late working more than everyone else. Look for more responsibility and opportunities to serve someone else without being asked to do so, and say "I can" when asked to do anything.

Pretty simple. And the best universal rule that I learned from a very smart man was that if we do more work than we are being paid for, pretty soon we will be paid for more than we are doing.

Semper Fi, Tom

Good post, Tom. All of those principles worked for me!

Problem is: Today we are dealing with the "Generation of Me."

TheReservist
12-13-11, 12:22 PM
I guess this must be the generational shift that's occurred from yesteryear to today.

As the Marines from this generation want to be the one's who are dirty, hungry while kicking in doors (or providing the best support for those that do) in afghanistan or iraq compared to I guess what the yesteryear Marines want of looking good on a poster.

Today's Marines want to be like -

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_10_2009/post-214-1256086646.jpg

Caring more about the battlefield then having hands in the pocket or low regs.

Marine84
12-13-11, 07:24 PM
uh oh...............(taking cover) Somebody better move it to the Hooch before the Nam boys get here.

MOS4429
12-13-11, 07:31 PM
Still waiting for the OP to thank us all for such sage counsel. :)

acg8276
12-14-11, 05:32 AM
Still waiting for the OP to thank us all for such sage counsel. :)

I think he's ducking for cover. Maybe when he gets his head up he'll provide the props.

FaDeD
12-14-11, 06:41 AM
I cant believe this, your problably one of those married Marines thats in my squad that likes to complain when i make you stay over on thursday and help barracks Marines clean the barracks huh,

Well let me tell you its worth every penny to see what a mans worth when it comes to the duties that arnt important to him, Its the United States Marine Corps, we sleep in mud, if we get to sleep, and we kick doors in when were told.. appearntly you think that life is rough you sound like this generations version of an Air Winger.

Get a life boot and do what your command says, if you dontlike it get out, will just leave more cots for me and my brothers.

Mongoose
12-14-11, 07:49 AM
Going back to your post,#57, Reservist. I've never heard a Marine veteran of this generation, say they ever went hungry. What I would like to know is what kind of support do you need to kick a door in?

SGT7477
12-14-11, 07:55 AM
:evilgrin: Tha Chow in tha BRIG,was Lean and Mean...Bread,Lettuce & Water,That was after having Din Din eating out The Ossifers Wives when their Men were on War Games...Eatin out at tha Y...Was worth doin 29 Day's in tha BRIG...Semper Ho Ho Ho...With all Due Respect :D :iwo:
Lmfao,Semper Fidelis.

TheReservist
12-14-11, 08:29 AM
When I first joined, the senior Marines who were in the initial push to Baghdad talked about how they had to carefully ration chow because of the importance to get bullets and gear to the front...

cowstep2
12-14-11, 08:43 AM
Get youself a nice sugar tit.

afraziaaaa
12-14-11, 09:17 AM
I guess this must be the generational shift that's occurred from yesteryear to today.

As the Marines from this generation want to be the one's who are dirty, hungry while kicking in doors (or providing the best support for those that do) in afghanistan or iraq compared to I guess what the yesteryear Marines want of looking good on a poster.

Today's Marines want to be like -

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_10_2009/post-214-1256086646.jpg

Caring more about the battlefield then having hands in the pocket or low regs.

LOL, hell yes!

afraziaaaa
12-14-11, 09:31 AM
I cant believe this, your problably one of those married Marines thats in my squad that likes to complain when i make you stay over on thursday and help barracks Marines clean the barracks huh,

Well let me tell you its worth every penny to see what a mans worth when it comes to the duties that arnt important to him, Its the United States Marine Corps, we sleep in mud, if we get to sleep, and we kick doors in when were told.. appearntly you think that life is rough you sound like this generations version of an Air Winger.

Get a life boot and do what your command says, if you dontlike it get out, will just leave more cots for me and my brothers.

Im a winger, and I am awesome.

MOS4429
12-14-11, 11:58 AM
Im a winger, and I am awesome.

Not a winger but mostly stationed at El Toro. I was squared away, busted my butt at my job, bunch of meritorious promotions, blah, blah, blah. But one day I found out I was just a shiot bird. I was putting my cammies on after working out at the gym, and those old freaking green wool socks we had made my feet sweat and itch like crazy. So...I just wore a pair of athletic socks. But, but, they were WHITE athletic socks, and some MSgt who knew squat about me determined that since I had those unauthorized socks on, I must have been a shiot bird SSgt. Never understood stupidity like that. He said, well, put the wool socks over the top. Yeah, right, that would work well.

afraziaaaa
12-14-11, 12:15 PM
Not a winger but mostly stationed at El Toro. I was squared away, busted my butt at my job, bunch of meritorious promotions, blah, blah, blah. But one day I found out I was just a shiot bird. I was putting my cammies on after working out at the gym, and those old freaking green wool socks we had made my feet sweat and itch like crazy. So...I just wore a pair of athletic socks. But, but, they were WHITE athletic socks, and some MSgt who knew squat about me determined that since I had those unauthorized socks on, I must have been a shiot bird SSgt. Never understood stupidity like that. He said, well, put the wool socks over the top. Yeah, right, that would work well.

Rules and thinking for ourselves override common sense. That is the way of the Corps. :flag:

SlingerDun
12-14-11, 04:19 PM
Ahhh go ahead and stand around dude, it teaches patience. But does nothing for initiative.

Snap to when you get out the Corps, because non-government employers tend to make payroll on productive workers only:scared:

TheReservist
12-15-11, 08:29 AM

A Master Sergeant told you to do it, so you obviously wore white athletic socks underneath your wool socks, right?

Otherwise, I feel like I've been lied to about how the Marines of last generation were perfectly obedient and so much better as the USMC was run as a "military organization" compared to now.

afraziaaaa
12-15-11, 08:33 AM
Otherwise, I feel like I've been lied to about how the Marines of last generation were perfectly obedient and so much better as the USMC was run as a "military organization" compared to now.

Welcome to reality. Congratulations on putting down the kool-aid. Mr. Jim Jones no longer has any use for you in his society.

Mongoose
12-15-11, 08:54 AM
A Master Sergeant told you to do it, so you obviously wore white athletic socks underneath your wool socks, right?

Well, lets look at it like this. You joined the Corps. They didn't join you. They pay you to work for them. They don't work for you. They have rules and regulations, just like any company in the private sector does. If you have a problem with authority, or think the rules don't apply to you. Get out a find a job that will cater to your cry-baby azz.

Phantom Blooper
12-15-11, 09:08 AM
With that shiat eatin' grin and the hand in Chesty's pocket....he is probally scratchin' his nuts...and sayin' fuk all this stupid shiat!

Just go to chow or go to work...Quit Biatchin'...you already had formation!

sparkie
12-15-11, 09:21 AM
After bein married all these years I wouldn't mind a chow hall somewhere close.

TheReservist
12-15-11, 10:37 AM
Well, lets look at it like this. You joined the Corps. They didn't join you. They pay you to work for them. They don't work for you. They have rules and regulations, just like any company in the private sector does. If you have a problem with authority, or think the rules don't apply to you. Get out a find a job that will cater to your cry-baby azz.

That is correct that every company has rules and regulations. The problems occur in organization when shifts in mission focus, personnel reorganization, and technology are not accompanied with changes in rules and regulations.

Without changes in the rules and regs, but a change in mission focus, a culture of confusion is created through the organization, The USMC. In which standards are being enforced that do nothing to help with productivity, in effect hurting productivity.

I.E. Rules and regs were updated in accordance to battle formations when technology changed with the introduction of the machine gun.

In the example, with the idea of white socks. The wearing of white socks in working uniforms i.e. utilities / coveralls for undisclosed reasons, with the most prominent being cited by many staff NCOs as uniformity. The mission focus in the Marines has changed from having a groupthink mass of Marines to Marines at the lowest leadership levels who have the ability to think about situations and adapt to best suit them thus helping the Corps and Nation as a whole, through General Krulak's promotion of the "strategic corporal".

Mongoose
12-15-11, 01:24 PM
We have always had Marines at the lowest level of leadership, who had the ability to adapt to the situation at hand. The difference is, do you adapt to suit your own benefit? Or do you adapt to suit the welfare of your brother Marines. That's all we need in combat, is a bunch of Marines running around, each doing what he personally thinks is the best thing.

wildwoman73
12-15-11, 03:52 PM
Cry baby....

Tissue?

wildwoman73
12-15-11, 04:35 PM
You know Billy....the thought pounces in my mind about "If the Marine Corps wanted you to have a spouse....they'd have issued you one.". Doesn't matter if you are married. Or your parents have 6 figures in the bank at home. Or you know someone that knows someone that knows someone. You're a freakin' NON NCO...first year or two Marine? I'm guessing? Just play the monkey and suck it up. You'll appreciate the boredom later when you are a civilian bustin your butt to feed that wife and 3 kids.....

SGT7477
12-15-11, 05:40 PM
Cry baby....

Tissue?
:thumbup:,Semper Fidelis.