PDA

View Full Version : Does Reserve TIS count towards pay? (O-1E)

benw2200
12-11-11, 09:35 PM
I'm currently a drilling reservist who has been with my unit for about three years now, including one deployment which put us on active duty for about 400 days. I'm currently a college student and I'm enrolled in the PLC program for commissioning, assuming I pass OCS (I have my first 6-week segment coming up this summer). By the time I get my commission, I will have over four years as a reservist. I was looking at pay charts the other day, and it said you need 4 years of prior service to get the O-1E pay grade instead of regular O-1. I've done some internet research and I'm finding conflicting information, but the consensus seems to be that reserve time in service doesn't count towards retirement, but it does count for pay purposes. So can anyone confirm or deny that upon commissioning, I will rate O-1E pay from my time in the reserves? Thanks.

Theoldgunny
12-12-11, 07:28 AM
unless things have changed in the 30+ yrs since i retired if u are paid res time it counts

AAV Crewchief
12-12-11, 08:05 AM
I'm currently a drilling reservist who has been with my unit for about three years now, including one deployment which put us on active duty for about 400 days. I'm currently a college student and I'm enrolled in the PLC program for commissioning, assuming I pass OCS (I have my first 6-week segment coming up this summer). By the time I get my commission, I will have over four years as a reservist. I was looking at pay charts the other day, and it said you need 4 years of prior service to get the O-1E pay grade instead of regular O-1. I've done some internet research and I'm finding conflicting information, but the consensus seems to be that reserve time in service doesn't count towards retirement, but it does count for pay purposes. So can anyone confirm or deny that upon commissioning, I will rate O-1E pay from my time in the reserves? Thanks.

I am pretty sure it has to be 4 years of active duty service since day for day you get more experience as an active duty member than a typical drilling reservist. As you said, you have about 400 days. That's just one year and about 2 months max.

It will count towards TIS for pay though. I have 24 years of service that count towards pay (not retirement) because with my 4 years of AD in the Corps I also had 3 years reserve along with multiple years of IRR to go with the 12.5 years of time I have spent in the AF reserves.

I could retire in May, but where else can I get a PT job that pays me nearly $600 for a weekend of work plus the Tricare insurance plan and United Concordia dental? They will have to drag me off the base in 8 years and 8 months when I reach high year tenure at age 57 and 33 total years of service.

benw2200
12-12-11, 03:42 PM
So looking at the pay charts, an O-1 with <2 years of service gets $2828 monthly, and an O-1 with over 4 years gets $3559. So I am correct in assuming I rate the latter pay grade upon commissioning?

Blutic
12-13-11, 05:43 AM
Your pay entry base date (PEBD) is what is used to calculate years for pay. So all the years spent in reserve will apply when you go active. Your SAT years in the reserve do not count for the active duty retirement because they are based on inactive duty points. You need 7200 active duty points to get the active duty retirement. That number comes from (360 days * 20 years). Check out your CRCR on MOL to see your number of active duty points.

benw2200
12-14-11, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the info Sir, glad that was cleared up.