PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

thencmarine
12-10-11, 10:43 PM
Hello Marines. I have just two quick questions to ask. Ive come to these forums before because of the quality answers you all give wannabes like me. Anyway I am 17 and my recruiter says i can enlist in May of 2012 because I am a Junior in high school.

1) I have a strong desire to serve in a combat arms MOS. Either Infantry, Artillery, or Tanks. However, if any Marines could tell me a little about their MOS and what did you enjoy or dislike about it? Differences between infantry and artillery would be appreciated.

2) Is there a limit on how many B-Billets or special duty assignments you can do in your career? Like I know that Recruiters, Drill Instructors, and Embassy Guards are all special assignments. I am interested in doing any one of these assignments and was wondering if it would be possible to them multiple by the end of my career or is there a limit?

Lisa 23
12-10-11, 10:56 PM
Question #1.........do a search on the site, those MOS's have been covered many times before.

Question #2....can't help you there.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-10-11, 11:24 PM
There really isn't a limit, however, the longer you spend in one, the less you are in your 'regular' job, which will in the long run hurt you career wise (sometimes). You can sometimes go into one of them (Recruiting, for example) and be so good at it that it becomes your 'real' job, though.

Your 'b' billet options will change by the time you get to that point, which realistically is about 6 years down the road.

My Infantry experiences are too old to be of use to you, but as the Marine above stated, you might try a search for 'Infantry vs tanks' or "Infantry or Artillery". If nothing comes up try some different wording. I know we've answered that question before. Basically it comes down to what sort of 'work' you like to do. IF I had it to do over again, I would likely have chosen Tanks first, because I think it would be cooler LOL. That's personal preference though....realistically I'd choose Combat Correspondent, Flight Crew, then Intelligence, with Tanks/Infantry a very distant 4th/5th LOL.

holey336
12-11-11, 10:16 AM
I might n able to help a bit right now I'm slightly more than half way through infantry training, and I can tell u its rough but a **** load of fun and you get a feeling of pride that u might not get from a non combat mos, idk about tanks but one of my boys in artillery isn't crazy about it, he saying his first couple of years will basically be running shells up n down during ranges, on a deployment to a war zone they're not in the front face to face with the enemy but they are extremely crucial to what we do. As far as n billets are concerned if u go infantry u can always try to b a combat instructor which would keep u from getting rusty at ur actual job. I'm still a junior marine though n only half through infantry training so I speak of what I've heard not experience, so take it with a grain of salt n do some more research

Sgt Leprechaun
12-11-11, 05:55 PM
I think this is EXACTLY the kind of answer he is looking for. Good work!

SGT7477
12-11-11, 06:13 PM
Hello Marines. I have just two quick questions to ask. Ive come to these forums before because of the quality answers you all give wannabes like me. Anyway I am 17 and my recruiter says i can enlist in May of 2012 because I am a Junior in high school.

1) I have a strong desire to serve in a combat arms MOS. Either Infantry, Artillery, or Tanks. However, if any Marines could tell me a little about their MOS and what did you enjoy or dislike about it? Differences between infantry and artillery would be appreciated.

2) Is there a limit on how many B-Billets or special duty assignments you can do in your career? Like I know that Recruiters, Drill Instructors, and Embassy Guards are all special assignments. I am interested in doing any one of these assignments and was wondering if it would be possible to them multiple by the end of my career or is there a limit?
If it has to be destroyed overnight call in Marine artillery,OOHRAH,Semper Fidelis.:flag: