View Full Version : Hand-to-hand combat during desert storm or desert shield

devildogdaughte
12-10-11, 05:30 PM
Did that even happen?

Not buying a friend's story about his "stab" wounds

Thanks

Old Marine
12-10-11, 06:02 PM
Site rules say that a profile is required to post on this site. Rules for this site can be found in the poolee or ask a Marine sections. Thank you in advance.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-10-11, 06:16 PM
Unlikely at best. Unit, time there, etc.....

But, yeah....your first instincts are usually the RIGHT instincts...

devildogdaughte
12-10-11, 06:16 PM
Site rules say that a profile is required to post on this site. Rules for this site can be found in the poolee or ask a Marine sections. Thank you in advance.

My apologies. I filled out a profile. Any suggestions as to why it is not showing are welcomed.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-10-11, 06:20 PM
It's there from what I can see. Also see my post, above. More information is needed for sure.

devildogdaughte
12-10-11, 06:26 PM
It's there from what I can see. Also see my post, above. More information is needed for sure.

Don't have any of that except for the typical "killed lots of people" thing which makes me even more doubtful

I remember when someone asked my dad, a Vietnam vet, if he had ever killed anyone. I don't think many people volunteer that information. But I have been wrong before

Phantom Blooper
12-10-11, 06:27 PM
After my time....but here is a link

http://74.6.238.254/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=hand+to+hand+combat+desert+storm&fr=yfp-t-701&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=hand+to+hand+combat+desert+storm&d=4829149929407011&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=97553b1,bb72b70f&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=8IPiKK7BUXvqkqL4ZqYu0A--

But one can tell a shrink or chaplain anything....

So this is one story....we were trained for hand to hand...but never used it except in a bar........:banana:

Sgt Leprechaun
12-10-11, 06:33 PM
LOL. Phantom is right. Search this site and you'll find very, very few 'war' stories of THAT type I assure you.

Those who brag/boast about stuff like that, esp. to NON veterans and NON combat types are usually quite full of bovine stinkum.

Quite possibly not even a Marine!

devildogdaughte
12-10-11, 06:35 PM
That is exactly what I suspected. :)

Mongoose
12-10-11, 09:07 PM
In Nam, hand to hand combat, was when you held your weapon with your left hand, and pulled the trigger with your right hand.

montana
12-10-11, 09:33 PM
In Nam, hand to hand combat, was when you held your weapon with your left hand, and pulled the trigger with your right hand.

i held my weapon with my right hand and pulled the trigger with my left hand
always packed to many rounds to waste time in hand to hand.....would have never lived it down if one of the little bugers woulda whipped me

Zulu 36
12-10-11, 09:36 PM
In my readings, I have not heard of any such hand-to-hand incidents during Desert Storm involving any branch. There have been a few documented incidents during the more recent Iraq war where a knife was used by Marines in a couple of incidents and a soldier in at least one.

However, there was much more extensive combat in the Iraq war than during Desert Storm. Larger numbers of combat incidents in general raise the statistical probability of such hand-to-hand encounters, yet they still remain a mere fraction of one-percent of combats.

Old Marine
12-11-11, 09:19 AM

Probably most times that was true Billy, unless your name was Jimmy Howard.

montana
12-11-11, 10:06 AM
on one killerteam think it was a 3rd squad...team??? they desided to do away with a lone VC didieboppon in the night...the silent way??? A kind we called Reb quietly steped up behined him...and quietly sliped his bayonet infront of the VC's throat...and grabed the other end with his hand ...as we were tought in bootcamp....only the VC tucked his chin in real quick and instead of doin a quick silent kill he had a Gook screeming bloody murder...sure took the quiet out of that night...they ended up shooting him anyway

Zulu 36
12-11-11, 10:15 AM
Probably most times that was true Billy, unless your name was Jimmy Howard.

I met Jimmie Howard once. Quite a guy.

At one point in my Marine Corps time, I was a Sergeant of the Guard for HqBn, 1st MarDiv at Pendleton. We got a group of short-timer Marines assigned to the guard section (back when two-year and three-year enlistments were common). All of them had fought on Koh Tang Island during the Mayaguez incident. Damned good bunch too, they made my job a breeze.

A couple of them were telling me that their platoon sergeant was a Vietnam vet and a totally certifiable nut case. Knew his stuff, but was a complete loony. Periodically during the battle he was taking Marines around to wounded Cambodians and teaching them how to properly kill with a K-Bar. I had no reason to doubt them.