PDA

View Full Version : Meritorious Promotions

Cellinheim
12-09-11, 02:21 AM
Sitting here reading MCO P1400.32D and I noticed the meritorious promotion boards for Cpl and Sgt are two months apart. With this being stated, as long as TIS is met, does anyone know if it is stated that an individual promoted on one board could/could not pickup on the next board as well? Thus making it possible for a LCpl to pickup Sgt in two months with a TIS of 18 MOS. I know this is no where near likely, merely wondering if anyone has read anything else.

DrZ
12-09-11, 06:58 AM
Due to my advanced age and diminishing brain functions, I can't be sure.... but even with a meritorious promotion...isn't there some TIG requirement?

Would read the MCO but too cussed tired!

Theoldgunny
12-09-11, 07:19 AM
back in the old days there was no TIG requieiments for metitorious promotion

Quinbo
12-09-11, 10:35 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=58029

MOS4429
12-09-11, 12:21 PM
Thirty years ago, for what it's worth, there was no TIG and I don't even recall if there was a TIS. To my knowledge there was no impediment for what you are suggesting to occur. I am aware of meritorious Cpl and Sgt in less than 12 months, did it myself. But I think it unlikely. You have to be put up by your superiors for both boards, and I cannot envision that occurring.

I did have a friend who received meritorious LCpl as the top student after MOS school, and then we went to the advanced course, and he scored the highest ever, so 4.5 months later received meritorious Cpl.

rufus1
12-09-11, 05:52 PM
In 1970 I remember hearing the term and it seems like there was a certain period of time between ranks unless you did get a meritorious promotion. I got a meritorious Cpl. promotion while I was in and it seem that I they were certain things I had to do and a certain time period before I received Sgt. But there again it has been many years and the old brain has had several brain cell die for of many causes.

cucinae5
12-09-11, 07:38 PM
The odds of your unit putting you on back to back boards like that are highly unlikely. They will want you to prove you can handle your rank. So even it can happen the odds it will are slim to none.

Cellinheim
12-10-11, 10:43 PM
I understand the probability of this happening is slim to none, I was just curious if anyone else has seen anything denying it. I literally read the publicly released order on the subject the night I posted this. There are TIS requirements for Meritorious, but there are none for TIG based on the order listed on marines.mil. LCpl to Cpl tis is 6 MOS Cpl to Sgt TIS is 18 months. until one hits Sgt to SSgt, then there is a 4 years TIS and something about TIG but I do not remember at this point in time. Redman1's rank with TIS is impressive, but those were different times. Thanks for the responses, if anyone sees or hears anythings please let me know so that I may research the topic more so.

weapons124
12-13-11, 08:43 PM
just TIS requirements for meritorious. I was just selected for the 4th Mar Division Meritorious board (pinned cpl dec 2nd) So I could go up for the next Sgt board in 2012, although unlikely as commands want to see that their Nco's can handle their duties and act accordingly and honestly 2 0r 3 months is not enough time.