PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Apnea

giveen
12-08-11, 10:47 AM
So the VA has diagnosed me with sleep apnea and will be paying for the CPAP treatment but I don't know if I can claim it as service related yet.

I did a 9 month stint with a repair shop where I was constantly exposed to freon, spray paint, gases for welding, etc etc. I did list this all my yearly medical hazard sheet, but my apnea didn't start till shortly after I was out. I did have a bit of insomnia but never got treated for that either while in because I didn't think it was a big deal (my mistake).

What are my chances of getting approved for service-related? I do have an appointment with my doctor in like 6-8 weeks (so I was told on the phone) and will ask the doctor then.

ameriken
12-09-11, 01:52 PM
So the VA has diagnosed me with sleep apnea and will be paying for the CPAP treatment but I don't know if I can claim it as service related yet.

I did a 9 month stint with a repair shop where I was constantly exposed to freon, spray paint, gases for welding, etc etc. I did list this all my yearly medical hazard sheet, but my apnea didn't start till shortly after I was out. I did have a bit of insomnia but never got treated for that either while in because I didn't think it was a big deal (my mistake).

What are my chances of getting approved for service-related? I do have an appointment with my doctor in like 6-8 weeks (so I was told on the phone) and will ask the doctor then.

I think that's going to be a tough one, I don't think I've ever heard of sleep apnea being work related because it affects people who are not exposed to those things and most folks who have it are not work-related, it's just another regular medical issue. Meaning, even if you did not work there you likely would have gotten the apnea anyway. Those chemicals may cause other lung problems, but I just don't think sleep apnea is one of them.

I too got diagnosed with sleep apnea through the VA and got the machine through them, they've been great. Do you have obstructive, complex, or central sleep apnea?

You can get more info and ask some questions here: www.cpaptalk.com (http://www.cpaptalk.com) . I belong to that forum (same username) and while they may not know the answer as it specifically relates to the VA, you might be able to find out more about cases being related to work.

Plus, when you start CPAP, you're going to need some support and I highly suggest joining a good forum. CPAP takes work and commitment and I think about half the folks who start it, end up quitting simply because they get frustrated with it. They're a good forum for asking questions and getting help to sort through the issues you'll face when you start therapy.

Good luck!

giveen
12-09-11, 04:01 PM
Thanks, ameriken :) They didn't tell me if it was obstructive/complex/central. I am assuming at my next doctor visit it will be explained more to me. Right now it was just the VA calling me to let me know I was diagnosed with it and will be sending the stuff for treatment.
I do know that when I last talked to my doctor that we had talked that my weight might have affected it BUT I also showed her that my skin inside my throat was very relaxed and lose and this happened BEFORE I started gaining weight.

I'll have to take a look at that forum :)

ameriken
12-10-11, 01:48 PM
Thanks, ameriken :) They didn't tell me if it was obstructive/complex/central. I am assuming at my next doctor visit it will be explained more to me. Right now it was just the VA calling me to let me know I was diagnosed with it and will be sending the stuff for treatment.
I do know that when I last talked to my doctor that we had talked that my weight might have affected it BUT I also showed her that my skin inside my throat was very relaxed and lose and this happened BEFORE I started gaining weight.

I'll have to take a look at that forum :)

Good luck. Like I said, I think it's rare that sleep apnea is related to work. Regardless, it's good that you caught it. Sleep apnea is a death of a thousand knives. It slowly kills you. However work related or not, the VA should take care of everything. I was quite surprised at how well they've done for me. Sleep studies at hospitals usually run anywhere from $2000 to $4000, masks from $100 to $200, and machines from a few hundred to a few thousand. I got an "ASV" machine which is a more complex machine for complex breathing issues and the machine cost was $3000. My 2 sleeps studies, machines, masks, et al were all paid by the VA and I am estimating the bill to be somewhere around $8000. Very impressive and I am eternally grateful. Sleep apnea will eventually kill a person if they don't have CPAP, so I credit the VA for saving my life. That's also why you don't want to give up CPAP and why you should get hooked into a support group or forum.

If you have any questions, let me know. Good luck!

Marine1955
12-10-11, 09:41 PM

No you can't clam it as a service related act it's hereditary handed down by your gens someone in your family has is also. so stop trying to clam it and deal with it. get your treatment and live with it. oh by the way I have it also my mother had it to..

spotts
12-11-11, 08:04 AM
I havent seen a claim for it being granted as Service Connected. It doesnt hurt to try and have the claim approved though.

ameriken
12-11-11, 11:23 AM
No you can't clam it as a service related act it's hereditary handed down by your gens someone in your family has is also. so stop trying to clam it and deal with it. get your treatment and live with it. oh by the way I have it also my mother had it to..

While it's true that family history can be a risk factor for sleep apnea, it is not a blanket rule. In my own case, no one else in my family has it and I've met many whom are the only ones in their family who have it. Brain/brainstem injuries can cause it, obesity, stroke, some neurological diseases, small throat structure, and medications can also cause sleep apnea in someone whose family does not have it. So yes, it can 'run in the family', but it can also 'not run in the family'.

Hopefully, as time goes by we'll learn a lot more about it because I don't think there have been enough studies over a long enough period of time to really determine how hereditary it is. It's pretty sad that even now, many doctors are not aware of it's symptoms and treatments and if someone has depression/lethargy/fatigue caused by poor sleep, there are doctors who are more likely to give that person happy pills when what they really need is a cpap machine. Been there done that, unfortunately.

As for work however, the only way I can see it being work/service related would be in injury that occurred on the job that affected the brain/brainstem/central nervous system.

spotts
12-11-11, 04:25 PM
It really depends on what your doctor said on the C&P exam, what veteran services rep you have at the VA working your claim and the Rater and Authorizer that work your claim.

giveen
12-14-11, 08:08 AM
I already talked to my father (who had talked to his doctor) and he does not have it, nor does anyone else in my family. The VA rep I talked to said to set up an appointment and get the paperwork rolling. I have another doctors visit on the 18th Jan to see if the doctor believes it is service-related.

Phantom Blooper
12-14-11, 08:11 AM
I didn't go through your previous posts...some I replied too....but don't you have a TBI?

You may want to search that and apnea about what Ken said earlier....

And if so use it as a claim for a residual effect of the TBI.

Good luck!

giveen
03-20-12, 12:03 PM
Still working on this, the VA rep from American Legion helped me file the paperwork and the VA sent me back a letter asking for anymore medical evidence and if I wanted to submit a statement.
My wife and I each submitted a statement and I asked a buddy of mine to submit a statement but he said he doesn't know about sleep apnea so couldn't make a statement about it, understandable.

thewookie
03-20-12, 02:58 PM
I'm glad this thread got started, and now re-addressed: it got me thinking so today I made an appointment to follow up on the sleep study I did a few years ago but blew it off because I'm a dumb Italian male.

With a newborn at home my sleep is worse ever, and I need to quit talking and get to walking into the DR's office to get my apnea fixed.

Messy CPAP or not, I have to get some better sleep.

And thanks for the info, Ameriken

Old Marine
03-20-12, 08:11 PM
I have apnea, but at present it is not very bad. Did sleep study and quit breathing 200 plus time in a 8 hour study. Doctor has me on oxygen consentrator at night and seems to be working. Last test I took I did not stop breathing, of coarse I was on consentrator. Wife is on Bi-Pap hooked to consentrator and seems to be working well for her.

FistFu68
03-23-12, 07:11 PM
:evilgrin: Never Had too Sleep with A GasMask on until My Plt.Sgt.in Tha Nam on a so called 1/2 hour catch sum Zee's outta a 3 day run of Aderaline or those Little Green Pills they gave Us (GREEN HORNETS) Aka.Govt.Speed!!!F**k it Marine,if You did not have this SLEEP Prob...till you were in tha Crotch go for tha Jugler WTF? I never heard such Loud Chit till I went too tha Rearwith tha Beer...Those REMFERS would not lasted a Nite on a Killer Team as Loud as Thier JIBS Were Flapping.GoodLuck I ain't got a good Nites Rest since BOOTCAMP,Maybe I'll get some Sleep when I'm DEAD!!!Semper Fi :beer: :iwo:

giveen
04-16-12, 10:19 AM
Things are moving along, did my C&P examine, mainly just talked with the doctor about how it impacts my life and how my tired feeling is a constant strain on my life even on the CPAP machine.
Don't think I will appeal if I get turned down. I just want it to be on record just in case something happens furthur down the road. I have a feeling I will get turned down, and I'm okay with that if it happens.

Marine1955
04-17-12, 03:20 PM

must say that want work as a related to combat as it is hereditary.. My mother had it and my grandmother had it and I have it and my doctor say it come from generation to generation passed down to one member at a time.. So trying to say the you got it from Nam or from chemicals want work and if it does let me know cause I can refile my clam then.. I was a 3516/3521 and worked around chemicals too.along with asbestos brake pads..

kaelobo
04-17-12, 11:11 PM
i have a question my father in law is passing as i speak here is his info.he was stationed at MCAS Cherry Point NC organization: VMT-1, 2dMAW, FMF, MCAS. Served USMC 31 July 46 til 22nd Jan 48?...

spotts
04-18-12, 04:07 AM
If your father is receiving VA compensation or a VA pension at the time of his death then his estate will be eligible for Burial Benefits.

giveen
04-20-12, 01:32 PM
Just recieved a letter saying that 50% was awarded to me:beer:

Was interesting that the combined rating is 60%, so I lost 10% from my knees (was getting 20%).

But I am satisfied with the results given to me. I just had a newborn child on April 17th and my wife had a C-Section with no insurance but this is an answered prayer to paying that doctor bill.

Just need to wait get my new child's SSN so I can file for my kids and wife to be added on.

ameriken
04-21-12, 11:49 AM
Just recieved a letter saying that 50% was awarded to me:beer:

Was interesting that the combined rating is 60%, so I lost 10% from my knees (was getting 20%).

But I am satisfied with the results given to me. I just had a newborn child on April 17th and my wife had a C-Section with no insurance but this is an answered prayer to paying that doctor bill.

Just need to wait get my new child's SSN so I can file for my kids and wife to be added on.

Giveen, congratulations, that's awesome. And if you ask if I am congratulating your for either the rating or your baby, it's both.

I'm assuming this was wholly or in part due to your apnea being service related?

What was the link between your time in service and the apnea?

ameriken
04-21-12, 12:04 PM
I'm glad this thread got started, and now re-addressed: it got me thinking so today I made an appointment to follow up on the sleep study I did a few years ago but blew it off because I'm a dumb Italian male.

With a newborn at home my sleep is worse ever, and I need to quit talking and get to walking into the DR's office to get my apnea fixed.

Messy CPAP or not, I have to get some better sleep.

And thanks for the info, Ameriken

Hey Wook, congratulations to you too for your baby.

As for the sleep apnea, have you gotten the ball rolling yet? When sleep apnea progressive and gets bad enough, it'll take all the life out of you, day after day after day.

It can make you feel so drained of all your life, and if you go take an hour nap you'll wake up feeling even worse, almost to the point of not being able to function.

I digress...just wanted to make sure you're going down this road of getting it taken care of. S/F

giveen
04-23-12, 06:05 AM
Giveen, congratulations, that's awesome. And if you ask if I am congratulating your for either the rating or your baby, it's both.

I'm assuming this was wholly or in part due to your apnea being service related?

What was the link between your time in service and the apnea?

I'm still surprised I got it. I thought it was a long shot, even my doctor didn't want to make a statement because she said there was no direct proof.
I think because it started while I was in the service, and since they can't prove it wasn't caused by my service, that they gave it to me.

thewookie
04-23-12, 08:48 AM
Hey Wook, congratulations to you too for your baby.

As for the sleep apnea, have you gotten the ball rolling yet? When sleep apnea progressive and gets bad enough, it'll take all the life out of you, day after day after day.

It can make you feel so drained of all your life, and if you go take an hour nap you'll wake up feeling even worse, almost to the point of not being able to function.

I digress...just wanted to make sure you're going down this road of getting it taken care of. S/F

Thanks, Devil -- I went for my intro appointment (take two) last friday. Now I have to schedule a sleep test. I tried to get the DR. to just give me the CPAP, since I did one sleep test and they confirmed I'm jacked up. But he wouldn't ,, so another night of sleeping in a spider web until they give me the CPAP. I'll keep you posted.

I wonder if i could get this somehow to be service related? I mean my last two years I lived inside a shoot house full of chemicals from bangs and weapon firing.

Probably not.... and what a hassle it would be at this point. My mistake for never going to medical and getting nothing documented.

giveen
04-23-12, 11:09 AM
Thanks, Devil -- I went for my intro appointment (take two) last friday. Now I have to schedule a sleep test. I tried to get the DR. to just give me the CPAP, since I did one sleep test and they confirmed I'm jacked up. But he wouldn't ,, so another night of sleeping in a spider web until they give me the CPAP. I'll keep you posted.

I wonder if i could get this somehow to be service related? I mean my last two years I lived inside a shoot house full of chemicals from bangs and weapon firing.

Probably not.... and what a hassle it would be at this point. My mistake for never going to medical and getting nothing documented.
That was why I was thinking I wasn't going to get it. I didn't think as a young Marine that "tired" and "sleepy" could be considered as symptoms of a disorder. Can you think about me going to my Sgt and saying "Heh Sgt, can I go sickbay? I'm feeling tired". He would have laughed and said "Tired? I know a sure way to wake you up, go fill some sandbags!"

But my VA rep said that while it is difficult to prove this is not the court of law, just that there has to be a possibility that the service could be related.

thewookie
04-23-12, 11:24 AM
That was why I was thinking I wasn't going to get it. I didn't think as a young Marine that "tired" and "sleepy" could be considered as symptoms of a disorder. Can you think about me going to my Sgt and saying "Heh Sgt, can I go sickbay? I'm feeling tired". He would have laughed and said "Tired? I know a sure way to wake you up, go fill some sandbags!"

But my VA rep said that while it is difficult to prove this is not the court of law, just that there has to be a possibility that the service could be related.

Yeah, it's a nice thought, but I won't bother. Same thing for my back, and my hearing -- both not as good due to the Corps, but waaah me.

I remember in my last unit we had this guy, Dills, who missed formations like a big dog. We thought it was because he was dealing with "symptoms" from the night before. Little did we, or he realize that he had sleep apnea. But when he got out of the Corps and started testing for the Army to go SF -- they shut him down.

Rocky C
04-23-12, 02:49 PM
Congrats to All the New Dads !!!

Semper Fi,
Rocky