PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Infantry

OVonRomer
12-05-11, 09:25 PM
Good evening Marines, poolees, and all others. I am shipping to MCRDPI in roughly 3 weeks as a Reservist with an 0341 mortarman contract. I am wondering if any Marine(s) here have experience as a grunt in the Reserves and can share any information about it.

slowpoke96z28
12-10-11, 09:01 PM
nothing more than to say you'll have more fun active...any time i hear something about reserves, i want to know a good reason why. i mean like "i make 450K a year running my own strip joint" good or "i'm engaged to paris hilton and she said she'd cut off my allowance if i went active" good. not college. you can go to school on ad. enough smart schools, even some prestigious, to take online courses from.

OVonRomer
12-12-11, 09:04 AM
I understand that sir, but I wasn't able to go active because I received a DEP discharge for personal reasons and later re-enlisted. Brought it on myself and can't complain, just happy I was given...

TheReservist
12-12-11, 04:58 PM
I was reserve infantry during my time in the Marines. A lot of what you are going to do in your time in the reserves is highly dependent on many factors that you have no control over. During my time in from 2004 - 2010, I spent about 3 years of that on active duty going to various military courses like Combat hunters, Infantry Squad Leaders Course, Army CBRN Officers / enlisted course, and Army Tactical Site Exploitation / Search course. Also during that period, I twice deployed to Iraq when it was the place to be and after the Al Anbar awakening.

From friends who are still in my old reserve unit, one has recently returned from a deployment in afghanistan after crossdecking with a civil affairs unit, one has gone to Sergeants course and done a few deployments himself while a few others have been activated to train foreign forces in Africa.

Your experience in the reserves can vary wildly, if you're a ****bag who tries to do nothing then you will get nothing out of your experiences but if you're proactive and show that you're capable then the command can and will let you do good things.

OVonRomer
12-13-11, 01:08 PM
I just had an INI interview with Weapons Co., 2nd Battalion today and the Master Sergeant told me virtually the same thing, sir. It depends. He said a lot of times we'll be in a class, other times in the field, heck even out of state or out of the country (last year that unit was in Mozambique training their Army).

The Master Sergeant also made sure I knew that the only way to receive promotions and be on the chain of command's good side is to be the best Marine you could be--not coming late, coming to drills, doing your job, great PFT scores, etc.

TheReservist
12-14-11, 07:44 AM
Judging by your location, I know the unit that you're going to. It's a pretty good unit with NCO that should have a couple of deployments under their belt.

Also, depending on if the stars align, you may get deployed during your time in to where the majority of Marines are now. If you join up relatively soon.