PDA

View Full Version : Question About DEP Family Nights

Adema1226
12-04-11, 11:13 PM
I know this should probably be posted in the "Ask A Marine" section, but as with my thread about IBS, the system won't me post a new thread in there, and it won't let me make a regular post either.

My question is, in the DEP, are any of the meetings required? I mean is it optional if you go or not? Also, on the family nights, are they mandatory as well? Is it mandatory that a member(s) of your family come and watch?

Thank you all once again for any help.

Tennessee Top
12-04-11, 11:34 PM
Give your recruiter a call and get the answer straight from the source (no doubt that way).

Good luck.

GunRock0811
12-05-11, 12:46 AM
My info is probably a little dated but...I was in the DEP in 05 and the meetings were required unless you had a damn good reason. That was according to my recruiter at least. However, why wouldn't you want to go? The information you gain from those meetings is great. As far as the family nights, I don't know what that is. My advice, go to the meetings and absorb as much as you can. You want to become a Marine right? Put in the effort and start acting like one. Good luck to you.

Adema1226
12-05-11, 09:20 AM
My info is probably a little dated but...I was in the DEP in 05 and the meetings were required unless you had a damn good reason. That was according to my recruiter at least. However, why wouldn't you want to go? The information you gain from those meetings is great. As far as the family nights, I don't know what that is. My advice, go to the meetings and absorb as much as you can. You want to become a Marine right? Put in the effort and start acting like one. Good luck to you.

I do want to go. I've been trying to get in shape myself but I just can't seem to improve any of my PFT scores on my own. I'm afraid I'll need the help of a drill instructor... but apparently nowadays they have family nights. I know this is probably stupid to you current Marines, but the last thing I want is my family to see me getting scorched by some drill instructors while they just sit there in shock and I get humiliated in front of them.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-05-11, 07:04 PM
The reason you can't post in 'Ask' is that you are 'Marine Family'.

And, really, you shouldn't worry about it. So what, you get yelled at by a DI during family night....trust me, in the long run, they'll just think it's funny. Better start losing that 'modesty' gene NOW, cause trust me, there will be far worse down the road LOL

irpat54
12-05-11, 08:28 PM
the recruiter that recruited my daughter, if i couldn't get her there for one reason or another, he would come and get her,, and a bunch of others that might have problems getting to the meetings,, and just ask the recruiter what would be the best way to get in shape,, this Ssgt here had my daughter doing wind sprints, a set distance run as fast as you can to that point turn around and jog back, then wait 3 to 5 seconds and go again,, 5 times,, that got her into shape real well,, she always was a self motivator, and that is what it takes,,

YLDNDN6
12-06-11, 08:27 AM
I don't know if anything you do in the DEP goes on record anywhere, but, it would seem that not attending these meetings, for whatever reason, would reflect poorly on you. Who wants to be known as No-Show right off the bat. Get yourself there and do your best. If your best isn't good enough, seek help right there. Trust me, nobody wants to see you fail at this point. If you need help, and ask for it, you will get it.

Adema1226
12-06-11, 10:17 AM
I don't know if anything you do in the DEP goes on record anywhere, but, it would seem that not attending these meetings, for whatever reason, would reflect poorly on you. Who wants to be known as No-Show right off the bat. Get yourself there and do your best. If your best isn't good enough, seek help right there. Trust me, nobody wants to see you fail at this point. If you need help, and ask for it, you will get it.

Like I said, I do want to go. I do need help with my PT right now. I just want to skip family nights, or just go by myself and not have my family there. I know it's stupid though and I just need to get over it. I guess if I'm worried about a little embarrassment now I wouldn't make the cut in boot camp... so I need to get over it.