PDA

View Full Version : HMX-1 not considered fleet?

Time Bandit
11-30-11, 05:14 PM
After 2 months of juggling our orders between Oki, Pendleton, and Quantico we finally go assigned to HMX-1. Glad to finally get the hell out of training and into a unit but everyone is telling us its not the fleet. Why is this? Is it because things are more squared away/strict because its HMX-1 or because they don't deploy?

Our instructor also said they don't really work as much because when something goes wrong they just replace the component instead of running the risk of fixing it and having it go bad again.

We've been told its not a good 1st duty station, will being in HMX-1 off the bat effect our learning/career?

CH-46 Airframer 6152

BGW
11-30-11, 06:18 PM
May not be a good first unit, but its skate as **** from what I heard. And everyone that I knew when I was in my last squadron were all hoping to get into that unit. I guess it depends on the perspective. Have fun.

Oh and no not really part of the fleet, mostly because they don't deploy. Just remember as you spend your time there... that its defiantly not how the fleet is. Just like Quantico isn't the fleet either. So do not let it get you down.

Frankydp
11-30-11, 11:00 PM
I would argue that you should gain much more experience in your MOS than most of your peers. Unit has lots of funding and flight time which equals lots of maintenance and repair. You may have to work with more civilians than in the fleet but it should be an interesting tour none the less. And they do take the helo's out the country some times.

Frank
www.killfoot.com (http://www.killfoot.com)

Artemis
12-01-11, 05:25 PM
As a former CH46E airframes mech I can answer a question or 2 about that if you happen to have any. They are old aircraft and require a lot of maintainence just to keep em flying. As for going to HMX good luck.....I hope you enjoy detailing aircraft.

Time Bandit
12-02-11, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the input, Cpl did they switch you over to the 22's? do you agree with the phasing out? There aren't many 46 guys left, maybe 20 of us total, airframes is only running 1 class a year until 2014. There's currently only 6 of us on base lol.

BGW
12-02-11, 05:11 PM
Lol you will soon find out that your opinions is best bet kept to yourself. Why they still pumping you airframe guys out? I was given the impression the 46's were going to be decommissioned completely in a couple of years.

tokashikibob
12-02-11, 06:14 PM
You will work for your paycheck there, I guarantee it. If you are a good mech and squared away, I'll be seeing you on T.V. as you salute the "POTUS" Pres of the U.S. as he exits the aircraft. That's your goal to do **** hot work and move over to the "White Side" or "Cage". Then you'll crew the Pres. and V.P birds and fly around the globe and U.S. and stay in 4 star hotels and have a girls buying you drinks around the globe. If you decide to get out, you will get a job in the Beltway with your super White House clearance and they will teach you to do something else. One former Corporal of the USMC I know drives a Ferrari around D.C.
If you decide to stay a full career it becomes a good resume item. Oh yeh, you get to hang around the White House so much it become a drag waiting around for the Pres to get his **** together and get on the bird. Clinton was a cool dude and Al Gore and Hillary cold as ice.

http://www.okinawarelics.com

Quinbo
12-02-11, 09:26 PM
You got a twin or split personality or something?

No there are no fleet units at quantico.

sparkie
12-02-11, 10:36 PM
46? Hell that's older than me. Better switck to the 53s. Oh,,,, that's old shet too.

Time Bandit
12-02-11, 11:17 PM
Lol you will soon find out that your opinions is best bet kept to yourself. Why they still pumping you airframe guys out? I was given the impression the 46's were going to be decommissioned completely in a couple of years.
Are you referring to the phasing out question? - I hear more than a few talk about how they disagree with the v22 taking over for a variety of reasons. Of course it doesn't matter what they think at this point. I hate to see the 46 go after so many years. But yes there only running about 1 class of airframes a year. Not sure why they're still putting us through, they told us 2014 was the last of them though.

You will work for your paycheck there, I guarantee it. If you are a good mech and squared away, I'll be seeing you on T.V. as you salute the "POTUS" Pres of the U.S. as he exits the aircraft. That's your goal to do **** hot work and move over to the "White Side" or "Cage". Then you'll crew the Pres. and V.P birds and fly around the globe and U.S. and stay in 4 star hotels and have a girls buying you drinks around the globe. If you decide to get out, you will get a job in the Beltway with your super White House clearance and they will teach you to do something else. One former Corporal of the USMC I know drives a Ferrari around D.C.
If you decide to stay a full career it becomes a good resume item. Oh yeh, you get to hang around the White House so much it become a drag waiting around for the Pres to get his **** together and get on the bird. Clinton was a cool dude and Al Gore and Hillary cold as ice.

Thank you sir just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting shorted by going to HMX, just one more question - do you have any idea how long it takes to switch over from green side to white?

Quinbo
12-02-11, 11:51 PM
Are you talking about brown shoes verses black shoes or red bars verses gold bars or what?

I'm a dog staring at a ceiling fan again.

Time Bandit
12-03-11, 12:11 AM
Are you talking about brown shoes verses black shoes or red bars verses gold bars or what?

I'm a dog staring at a ceiling fan again.

My question Sgt? I'm asking how being in HMX compares to being in a different unit, I understand all units are unique but I've been told HMX is very different.

Quinbo
12-03-11, 12:16 AM
Green side vesras blue side is a comparison made among squids. White side is an unfamiliar term. I'll be quiet now.

Time Bandit
12-03-11, 01:43 PM
Green side vesras blue side is a comparison made among squids. White side is an unfamiliar term. I'll be quiet now.

In HMX-1 there is a green side and white side. White side works on aircrafts that transport the top dogs like the President, green side works on aircrafts that transport other VIP's.

Quinbo
12-03-11, 02:18 PM
See the more I talk I demonstrate just how little I know. I do know that HMX-1 is not a victor unit.

tokashikibob
12-03-11, 05:07 PM
Thank you sir just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting shorted by going to HMX, just one more question - do you have any idea how long it takes to switch over from green side to white?

It depends on a lot of things, how many H3 / H60 guys are moving out and how soon, then the aircrew on the Green side 46/53 are selected to move over the the White side and learn the new aircraft and procedures for carrying heads of state, etc. On the green side you haul around parts and Lt's from OCS around mainly. On the White side you can go on every trip in the U.S. and Oversea the Pres goes. So the deployment, actually they can it trip time for you can be crazy especially during a election cycle. You get there a few days before the Pres and leave as soon as he's gone, maybe leap frogging him to India or Russia.. whatever the plan. You'll either be hauling his ass or entourage or be the secret bird hanging around in case **** hits the fan. Great duty if your single, and can consentrate on work and good times. Bad deal if your married already cuz you'll be gone a lot if you have what it takes to crew the Pres.

S/F
Bob

onux16
12-03-11, 11:50 PM
I'm prior HMX-1 and can say that it's very different from the fleet. It has its upsides and downsides. As an airframer, you have to maintain currency (and therefore, qualifications) on two aircraft instead of one. Sure, you don't troubleshoot as much, but what could have been an easy work-around sometimes becomes a day-long job or longer (this applies more to flightline than airframes). You spend a lot of time away from home, but you get paid TAD every time. You don't deploy and accumulate much chest candy (ribbons/medals). The only thing you earn is the PSB, but that thing really stands out in a crowd. While not deploying affects your chances of picking of SNCO, a tour at HMX-1 is considered a soft B-billet and helps in your competitiveness for promotion.

From my experience, fleet guys have all sorts of wrong impressions of HMX-1. Their knowledge of it usually stems from stories they heard from a guy who knows a guy whose friend did a tour there. Or you will hear negative things from Marines who want to go but know or feel they will never earn their clearance. If you want legit information, ask somebody who has worked or is working under the command. They are the only legitimate source of information.

Here is my advice. Accept the fact you will work well past your shift and sometimes all day and night (I have once worked from 0500 to 0100 as a crew chief; airframes was tool room and had to wait on all crews to finish). You will cancel personal plans often. A full weekend off is rare, regardless of rank. You will feel tired and demotivated. But remind yourself that you will have experience on three aircraft, and if you stay in for a second enlistment, you'll probably transition to the V-22/fourth aircraft. You will have a security clearance worth over $100k (and civilian companies will hire because of that), will travel a lot and meet new people, and you are going to earn a seriously large paycheck once the TAD is approved. Plus there are all sorts of awesome stuff to do within an hour's drive of Quantico. And on those full weekends off, NYC is within 48-hr liberty limits. Honestly, the two biggest things I miss about the Quantico area are the amazing haircuts you get for cheap at Town of Quantico and the Gyro Panini on Sourdough at Harry O's.

If you make the best of your time there and strive to be the best Marine you can, you will leave the unit with amazing experiences and a baseline of knowledge and network of people to carry you through to your next MOS or future career.